PDA

View Full Version : Player Help saint template and outsider traits and features on my druid. Seeking clarification.

eternal
2014-06-16, 08:43 PM
My DM is allowing me to take the saint template on my druid with an LA buy off at 6 and 9. The saint template changes my type to outsider with the native subtype.

I'm curious as to what being an outsider does for my character. looking at that here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_outsidertype&alpha=)

I'm wondering if me being an outsider gains me the "features" or the "traits" or both or none? I'm guessing it only gives the traits as the features seem to be granted by what ever class you take.

For example a druid gets the 3/4 BAB. That stays the same even if an outsider gets the full thing is that correct?

Angelalex242
2014-06-16, 08:48 PM
Unless you have racial HD, all being an outsider does is make you immune to charm person and hold person and other things that that only work on humanoids and so on. In general, if 'person' is in the name of the spell, it doesn't work on a native outsider.

Of course, Saints have a Minor Globe of Invulnerability ANYWAY, so spells of level 3 and less never work on you.

But yes, when a saint (or Half Celestial) advances, it's by class, not by outsider HD.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-16, 08:50 PM
Do you and your DM understand the normal prereqs for the template? It's either two of three exalted feats and Character Level 6.
The features listed are the features of Outsider Hit Dice, same with the proficiencies listed in the Traits section.
In the end, the template tells you what you get from your new type, Darkvision 60, but it is listed as a feature of the template itself.

Karnith
2014-06-16, 08:51 PM
Unless you have racial HD, all being an outsider does is make you immune to charm person and hold person and other things that that only work on humanoids and so on. In general, if 'person' is in the name of the spell, it doesn't work on a native outsider.
Well, being an Outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) also gives you Darkvision 60 ft. and free simple and martial weapon proficiencies, but yeah, it's not that big of a change.

kardar233
2014-06-16, 08:51 PM
The features only apply to Outsider hit dice, which you don't have. However, you get the features, such as martial weapon proficiency.

eternal
2014-06-16, 09:35 PM
Do you and your DM understand the normal prereqs for the template? It's either two of three exalted feats and Character Level 6.
The features listed are the features of Outsider Hit Dice, same with the proficiencies listed in the Traits section.
In the end, the template tells you what you get from your new type, Darkvision 60, but it is listed as a feature of the template itself.

yeah we understand the requirements of being lv 6 and needing three exalted feats. I was more curious about the BAB and the weapon proficiencies.

eternal
2014-06-16, 09:36 PM
Well, being an Outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) also gives you Darkvision 60 ft. and free simple and martial weapon proficiencies, but yeah, it's not that big of a change.

In other words they get the traits. Gotcha.