PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Question about a Duskblade Build

ManicOppressive
2014-06-16, 09:56 PM
I'm considering a duskblade build that would go something like

Bard 1/Duskblade 9/Sublime Chord 10.

The way I figure, this gives me decent melee ability, not completely atrocious BAB (+15 at level 20, I can handle hitting like a Rogue) and the ability to sling said ninth level spells with a sword. Unless I'm mistaken, that also lets me use a once-daily quick-cast for any level of spell.

I don't like that I need exactly 10 levels of prereq for this, especially since one of them is just to get the bardic music. Ideally I would've liked to stop Duskblade at 7, but I need 3rd level spells for SC. Is there a better alternative to this build that still gets me the above things? Preferably an alternative to Chord that still gets me ninth level spells without shackling me to a level of bard?

To clarify my goals into neat bullet points:

1. Duskblade, or something very similar. Ideally Duskblade to level 7, though I can live with needing to go to 9. (Those two levels do basically nothing, unfortunately.

2. Ninth level spells. (Dat Time Stop)

3. No awkward one-level of class shackled to the build.

I am NOT particularly concerned about having this optimized to be the best at whatever. I know that anything I do is going to keep me from being the best at a role, but this is not for a really ridiculously minmaxed campaign so I'm not worried about it.

paperarmor
2014-06-16, 10:14 PM
I'd go with Bard1/Duskblade 9/Sublime Chord5/ Abjurant Champion 5

Or other stuff essentially Id cut down on the Sublime Chord levels and go for something that increases both spell casting and BAB. If all you want is 9ths thats what I'd do.
Note: I just couldn't think of another good gish class for 3 levels

Flickerdart
2014-06-16, 10:20 PM
3. No awkward one-level of class shackled to the build.
Bard 1.

Also, you're going to have a devil of a time meeting the Listen and Perform requirements, which are not class skills for you.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-06-16, 10:39 PM
Able Learner to the rescue?

paperarmor
2014-06-16, 10:39 PM
Wait... what race are you? because if you're an outsider you might be able to get into Sublime Chord by polymorphing into a Firre Eladrin and taking the metamorphic transfer feat. giving you the bardic music needed.

also what's wrong with bard? it's a good class and can add a lot to a gish build if you base it in it. Even without DFI. using plain jane IC gives a huge boost to things like power attack which is invaluable for any melee.

ManicOppressive
2014-06-16, 10:49 PM
Nothing's wrong with Bard, I just have a problem with one level in any class, especially when I get 0 BAB from it. Also, with what the build is doing, I'm unlikely to ever actually use most of the 1st level bard abilities.

And for some reason I always forget Abjurant Champion exists. I'd still like to find something to cut three more levels off of SC, or cut it out entirely, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get it cut out.

Alright, I have these build ideas at the moment, someone come poke relevant holes in them.

Bard 7/Duskblade 3/Sublime Chord 2/Spelldancer 3/Abjurant Champion 5

Pros:
9th level spells
Fun bard-y things keeping me at least moderately useful early
Gets the thing in Duskblade that actually matters at 3
Evasion and other goodies from Spelldancer

Cons:
BAB = 15. Not BAD, but not ideal.
Spelldancer level 3 is very comparable in absolute uselessness to Sublime Chord level 3, but I need something to get the last level of Chord.
Restricted to light armor, whereas others I'm about to list are not.
Skill point reqs basically mandate Able Learner, and in general this build is pretty feat heavy.
Split casting between Int and Cha. Not a big deal, I'd need both of those high anyway for the skill reqs.

Bard 1/Duskblade 9/Sublime Chord 5/Abjurant Champion 5

Pros:
9th level spells
BAB = 16. Still not ideal, but getting better.
Can use Medium armor for everything.
Extra Duskblade levels give quick casting and other goodies.

Cons:
3 levels more of Sublime Chord than anyone actually wants to take.
Back to that one level of bard doing nothing, since I'm going to be fighting rather than bardic music-ing.
Duskblade past 5 is silly, but I need the 3rd level spells

EDIT AGAIN:

Bard 7/Duskblade 3/Sublime Chord 2/Spelldancer 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5

I hadn't noticed before that Spellsword's half casting is on the odd levels. This does nothing negative to the build (because seriously, who cares about Cooperative Dancing?!) but adds +1 BAB and 10% less chance to flub spells with armor.

Gwendol
2014-06-17, 03:13 AM
You could use Virtuoso instead of unnecessary levels of Sublime Chord to advance both music and spells.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 04:03 AM
You could use Virtuoso instead of unnecessary levels of Sublime Chord to advance both music and spells.

'Course, it's 1/2 BAB.

It doesn't avoid the dip, but Duskblade 7/Abjurant Champion 2/Warrior Skald 1/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion +3 (5)/Sacred Exorcist 4/Spellsword 1 gets you full SC casting, 18 BAB, and every bardic music effect.

Gwendol
2014-06-17, 04:14 AM
Of course it is. Ah, the Warrior Skald on the other hand, nice!

paperarmor
2014-06-17, 07:14 AM
Personally I like more bard at least 4 levels if not more in this situation and maybe go with some spellsword? or you could get silly and add some Martial adept levels then go JPM?

ManicOppressive
2014-06-17, 12:15 PM
'Course, it's 1/2 BAB.

It doesn't avoid the dip, but Duskblade 7/Abjurant Champion 2/Warrior Skald 1/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion +3 (5)/Sacred Exorcist 4/Spellsword 1 gets you full SC casting, 18 BAB, and every bardic music effect.

Never heard of the Warrior Skald. What book is that from? dndtools doesn't have it fully listed at the moment.

The Sacred Exorcist is definitely interesting, and gives some nice abilities, but doesn't that add some Wis reqs? If so, I'm now relying on every attribute, which feels hairy.

But I do definitely appreciate being pointed to a couple of new PrCs.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 01:05 PM
Never heard of the Warrior Skald. What book is that from? dndtools doesn't have it fully listed at the moment.

Races of Faerun

The Sacred Exorcist is definitely interesting, and gives some nice abilities, but doesn't that add some Wis reqs? If so, I'm now relying on every attribute, which feels hairy.

But I do definitely appreciate being pointed to a couple of new PrCs.

It shouldn't. The only reason I recommend it is that it's easy to get in to and has 3/4 BAB. Of course, if you also grab Southern Magician you can play with Divine Metamagic too, but that's cheese gravy.

ManicOppressive
2014-06-17, 03:38 PM
My possible builds are up into the six to seven class range, I think cheese is kind of implied at this point. :smalltongue: