PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder SPELLCRAFT for a Rogue Elf

HauntWrigs
2014-06-17, 01:16 AM
Greetings!

The Elf Racial Trait, Elven Magic, gives me +2 on SPELLCRAFT skill checks but SPELLCRAFT is not a Class Skill for Rogues. Do I retain the bonus even though I am not trained in SPELLCRAFT? Can I use the SPELLCRAFT skill even though I am not trained in it?

Thanks for your help!

Spore
2014-06-17, 04:37 AM
Do I retain the bonus even though I am not trained in SPELLCRAFT?

Yes.

Can I use the SPELLCRAFT skill even though I am not trained in it?

No. But cross class skills in Pathfinder still only cost 1 point to "activate". You lack the +3 bonus for class skills but you can use it if you wish.

VexingFool
2014-06-17, 06:14 AM
Also note that the bonus to spellcraft is only to identify properties of magic items.

I would swap out Elven Magic for one of the Alternate Racial Traits if your DM is allowing. Silent Hunter seems like a good one for a rogue.

HauntWrigs
2014-06-23, 06:29 PM
Also note that the bonus to spellcraft is only to identify properties of magic items.

I would swap out Elven Magic for one of the Alternate Racial Traits if your DM is allowing. Silent Hunter seems like a good one for a rogue.

Thanks for the tip--I forgot I could swap out Racial Traits. I learned a little bit about the setting from the DM and chose Desert Runner.

Now, I'm looking at feats and I wonder, with so many to choose from, which ones are best for a Rogue. Any suggestions?

weckar
2014-06-23, 06:34 PM
There are character traits that will make spellcraft a class skill.

Feats for a rogue heavily depend on the kind of rogue you'll be playing. It's probably one of the least prescriptive classes.