PDA

View Full Version : DM Help first time dm needing help on a NPC build. barbarian type character. Gestalt.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 02:29 AM
So I'm stepping up for the first time as a dm and I have an idea for a npc villain that the pc's with fight at various points through out the campaign.

Background concept is he is a were wolf Lord who can duel wield. I'm looking for something primal and fierce, and hard hitting. This will be a gestalt NPC. I would like to incorporate barbarian somehow but I'm not great with that class or it's potential with other classes and such.

Any advice is welcome.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 02:43 AM
What level would he be starting at? Off the top of my head, and assuming ECL 9, were-dire wolf water orc RHD 6/LA 3//Whirling frenzy lion spirit totem wolf totem Barbarian 2/Totemist 4/Totem Rager 1. At higher levels, keep going Totem Rager and then maybe Psychic Warrior, Crusader, or Ur-Priest on the other side. Have him dual wield a guisarme and spiked armor. He's one badass tripper.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 02:55 AM
What level would he be starting at? Off the top of my head, and assuming ECL 9, were-dire wolf water orc RHD 6/LA 3//Whirling frenzy lion spirit totem wolf totem Barbarian 2/Totemist 4/Totem Rager 1. At higher levels, keep going Totem Rager and then maybe Psychic Warrior, Crusader, or Ur-Priest on the other side. Have him dual wield a guisarme and spiked armor. He's one badass tripper.

They won't meet him until around lv 14,

They're level 10 now. I'm wanting to get some good ideas though to start building a concept of him.

I'm also trying to think of a way to buy off the LA adjustment.

edit:
I'm looking here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040206a&page=2) and I'm not seeing "lion spirit" totem. Like I said I'm a total newb on some classes and their variants.

AlanBruce
2014-06-17, 03:03 AM

If you are the DM, level adjustment should not be an issue, just make sure the villain is of an appropriate CR for the party when they meet him.

LA is usually reserved for players who want particular races or templates for their PCs. That being said, not overdoing it is a good idea- not every enemy should have templates through the roof. If this werewolf is a recurring villain, you can overlook the LA and just stick a few more levels in barbarian or whatever other class you want... as long as he's CR approrpiate.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 03:05 AM
They won't meet him until around lv 14,

They're level 10 now. I'm wanting to get some good ideas though to start building a concept of him.

Inflicted lycanthropy could be entirely bought off by level 9. Inherited could have 2/3 bought off by level 15. Assuming a natural lycanthrope at level 15, I'd say RHD 6/LA 1/War Mind 8//Barbarian 2/Totemist 4/Totem Rager 9. Key feats would include Hidden Talent, Knowledge Devotion (to get Knowledge (psionics)) Improved Trip (free from barbarian), Cobalt Rage, and TWF.

Edit:
Spirit Lion Totem is in Complete Champion. It gives up fast movement for pounce.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 03:08 AM
If you are the DM, level adjustment should not be an issue, just make sure the villain is of an appropriate CR for the party when they meet him.

LA is usually reserved for players who want particular races or templates for their PCs. That being said, not overdoing it is a good idea- not every enemy should have templates through the roof. If this werewolf is a recurring villain, you can overlook the LA and just stick a few more levels in barbarian or whatever other class you want... as long as he's CR approrpiate.

thanks for the tip.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 03:12 AM
LA is useful for a DM using gestalt to make the BBEG even Ber, Ber, and Eer without making them impossible to kill. Generally, assuming you're not just stacking on templates, a gestalt NPC is CR +1-3.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 03:15 AM
Inflicted lycanthropy could be entirely bought off by level 9. Inherited could have 2/3 bought off by level 15. Assuming a natural lycanthrope at level 15, I'd say RHD 6/LA 1/War Mind 8//Barbarian 2/Totemist 4/Totem Rager 9. Key feats would include Hidden Talent, Knowledge Devotion (to get Knowledge (psionics)) Improved Trip (free from barbarian), Cobalt Rage, and TWF.

Edit:
Spirit Lion Totem is in Complete Champion. It gives up fast movement for pounce.

What if I ignored the la and rhd? I don't know if I want to go psion with this guy. He's more of a smash first and ask questions later kind of guy. He's def not the one pulling the strings.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 03:21 AM
LA is useful for a DM using gestalt to make the BBEG even Ber, Ber, and Eer without making them impossible to kill. Generally, assuming you're not just stacking on templates, a gestalt NPC is CR +1-3.

If it helps the party is a set of gestalt tier 1 classes with a tier 2 class. I don't think power is going to be an issue.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 03:22 AM
I suppose you could, but you'd have to run some tests to figure out its real CR.

War Mind isn't psion. They use psionics, but it's a simple, martial psionics based on Wisdom rather than Intelligence (which, as a lycanthrope, he'll have a bonus in). The powers tend to be things like "grow claws," "make claws drip acid," or "grow even bigger than you are as a freaking werewolf." You don't even really need to describe them as being psionics if you don't want; just describe him fully transforming and being extra large, for example. War Mind doesn't do flashy powers anyway.

Edit:

If it helps the party is a set of gestalt tier 1 classes with a tier 2 class. I don't think power is going to be an issue.

It's not just power, it's also things like save DCs, BAB, HD, and saving throws. Of course, with a party of only casters CR kind of goes out the window at every optimization levels.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 03:28 AM
I suppose you could, but you'd have to run some tests to figure out its real CR.

War Mind isn't psion. They use psionics, but it's a simple, martial psionics based on Wisdom rather than Intelligence (which, as a lycanthrope, he'll have a bonus in). The powers tend to be things like "grow claws," "make claws drip acid," or "grow even bigger than you are as a freaking werewolf." You don't even really need to describe them as being psionics if you don't want; just describe him fully transforming and being extra large, for example. War Mind doesn't do flashy powers anyway.

OK Now I see where you're going. Looks nice.

So the party will see him all the way to 20. So I like where you're going so what would you suggest for a full build with feats "path finder progression so every other level."

I'm going to go the buy off rate. So assuming full buy off. What would the full build be.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-17, 03:43 AM
Probably RHD 6/War Mind 10/Swordsage 4//Barbarian 2/Totemist 11/Totem Rager 7, though not in that order. Spread Swordsage around a bit to cherry pick maneuvers and get into Totem Rager ASAP.

I'm not great with feats since I don't play melee all that much, but other than the ones I said you'd need, consider Knock Down, Combat Reflexes, and Linked Power. The first two will let him trip better and the last will let him save time buffing.

clericgirl
2014-06-17, 04:57 AM
Probably RHD 6/War Mind 10/Swordsage 4//Barbarian 2/Totemist 11/Totem Rager 7, though not in that order. Spread Swordsage around a bit to cherry pick maneuvers and get into Totem Rager ASAP.

I'm not great with feats since I don't play melee all that much, but other than the ones I said you'd need, consider Knock Down, Combat Reflexes, and Linked Power. The first two will let him trip better and the last will let him save time buffing.

alright well this at least gives me a place to start.

Thanks