PDA

View Full Version : "Mouthpick Weapons." Optimize these? They sound hilarious.

TSED
2014-06-17, 03:54 AM
So I was browsing through the Lords of Madness and discovered these gems. Page 46. The long and short of these is as follows:

#1: Replaces bite attack with the weapon's attacks.
#2: +1 enchantment.
#3: Automatically grants proficiency in the weapon (!)
#4: Sized for the creature (ie, a medium creature with a mouthpick greatsword will deal 2d6 damage).
#5: Yes, iteratives are allowed.

It talks about how they've gained popularity with other handless creatures (they are ostensibly for beholders) but we all know how crazy D&D gets. EVERYTHING good gets used by the players.

There has to be ludicrous things you can do with these besides multiweapon sneak attack or whatever, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Halberd + glaive for ultimate polearm threat? Flail & Board + glaive for trip times? Gibbering Mouther of doom? Something hilarious has to be possible!

bekeleven
2014-06-17, 04:30 AM
The problem is that any use of it generally requires you give up something even better. For instance, Drd 8/MoMF 10 can shape into a nagahydra and hit with seven greatswords on a standard action, charge or AoO. The problem is that in order to do so, you've given up 7 1D12 Con poison checks, so you'd need highly enchanted swords to it useful, and there goes WBL. The other problem is that if you wanted to do that you'd just shape into a darktentacles and wield 12 huge greatswords with no penalty, and not require them to all be mouthpick in the first place.

A Druid can Frozen Wild Shape into a Cryohydra for much the same effect, but it's a bit better since the exact wording of Cryohydra lets you use your breath attack while wielding a weapon.

Arbane
2014-06-17, 05:17 AM
Something hilarious has to be possible!

Hydra swordmaster?

Swaoeaeieu
2014-06-17, 05:25 AM
http://www.renders-graphics.com/image/upload/normal/8173_render_roronoa_zoro2.png

TSED
2014-06-17, 05:32 AM
The problem is that any use of it generally requires you give up something even better. For instance, Drd 8/MoMF 10 can shape into a nagahydra and hit with seven greatswords on a standard action, charge or AoO. The problem is that in order to do so, you've given up 7 1D12 Con poison checks, so you'd need highly enchanted swords to it useful, and there goes WBL. The other problem is that if you wanted to do that you'd just shape into a darktentacles and wield 12 huge greatswords with no penalty, and not require them to all be mouthpick in the first place.

A Druid can Frozen Wild Shape into a Cryohydra for much the same effect, but it's a bit better since the exact wording of Cryohydra lets you use your breath attack while wielding a weapon.

That's very similar to the problem I've run into trying to find a use for them. My current focus is trying to find something to do with two hands that are not "hold a weapon," as your mouth has that covered. Any way to make dual wielded shields work?

... Oh. OH. Maybe a Mouthpick Shield of Bashing would qualify? It's a +3 shield, which is expensive, but it doesn't take up a "slot." It has advantages over the classic animated shield!

Also, it has major "Darrrrrp" points.

Segev
2014-06-17, 08:00 AM
... Oh. OH. Maybe a Mouthpick Shield of Bashing would qualify? It's a +3 shield, which is expensive, but it doesn't take up a "slot." It has advantages over the classic animated shield!

Make it a buckler and paint a smiley face on it!

"I am...SHIELDFACE!" :)

Red Fel
2014-06-17, 08:06 AM
Willing Deformity (Teeth) if you're Evil, or Jaws of Death if you're Warforged, can give you a permanent bite attack. Also, the Bite of the X line of spells grant you a bite attack temporarily. Having a bite attack is all that's needed to trigger Mouthpick.

My advice on optimizing one? Mouthpick spiked chain. Then wield spiked chain in your hands as well. You will be terror.

Inevitability
2014-06-17, 10:58 AM
Willing Deformity (Teeth) if you're Evil, or Jaws of Death if you're Warforged, can give you a permanent bite attack. Also, the Bite of the X line of spells grant you a bite attack temporarily. Having a bite attack is all that's needed to trigger Mouthpick.

My advice on optimizing one? Mouthpick spiked chain. Then wield spiked chain in your hands as well. You will be terror.

Add in the silly, silly Cavestalker prestige class that lets you wield spiked chains in one hand. And be an anthropomorphic giant squid. Spiked chains EVERYWHERE!

It gets better, though. Because the spiked chains still count as two-handed weapons, you add 1-1/2 your strength modifier to the damage they do.

The best thing? You can be wielding nine spiked chains with this as soon as you hit level 8.

EDIT: And possibly the 'aberrant limbs' quality from DMG 2, which gives you two extra arms for +2 LA.

Marnath
2014-06-17, 11:45 AM
Add in the silly, silly Cavestalker prestige class that lets you wield spiked chains in one hand. And be an anthropomorphic giant squid. Spiked chains EVERYWHERE!

It gets better, though. Because the spiked chains still count as two-handed weapons, you add 1-1/2 your strength modifier to the damage they do.

The best thing? You can be wielding nine spiked chains with this as soon as you hit level 8.

EDIT: And possibly the 'aberrant limbs' quality from DMG 2, which gives you two extra arms for +2 LA.

And somewhere, a Kyton weeps miserably out of a sense of inadequacy.

Vedhin
2014-06-17, 12:12 PM
And somewhere, a Kyton weeps miserably out of a sense of inadequacy.

Don't forget Insectile from Savage Species and Obah-Blessed from Dragon Magazine. Even more arms!

What about a Mouthpick scissor sword? They're in Savage Species, and normally need six hands.

Alikat
2014-06-17, 12:20 PM
I suddenly wonder if the BoEF has options somewhere that adds bite attacks to other.. body parts. And how that'd be extrapolated into this ability. :smalleek:

aleucard
2014-06-17, 12:28 PM
Screw all you guys, I know the PERFECT use for this enchantment!

http://ntxooxyooj.deviantart.com/art/Crypt-173472941 You can now be this guy.

The existence of this enchantment has brought me one step closer to the unleashing of the madness that is the Oogakari upon DnD. Muahahahahaha.:smallbiggrin:

And if you do not know who this guy is on first glance, you live a sad existence. Seriously, the source material has its own TVTropes article, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/Yetagain) and it's an absolute monstrosity even by their standards.

WhamBamSam
2014-06-18, 01:12 AM
I do love me some mouthpick weapons. Do note however, that using a weapon in your hands and one in your mouth should be TWFing, and you need three hands to qualify for Multiweapon Fighting, even if you can wield three weapons.

Ways people haven't yet mentioned of getting a bite without just being a race with one:
1. Hidden Talent (Bite of the Wolf)
2. Various Totem Chakra Binds from Totemist 2.
3. Hunger Domain from a Cleric dip, Catalogues of Enlightenment.

I'm fond of giving a Mouthpick Spiked Chain and four short swords to a Multiweapon Fighting Thri-kreen Swordsage. Assassin's Stance, Insightful Strikes (Tiger Claw), Shadow Blade, Dancing/Raging Mongoose or Girallion Windmill Flesh Rip, Pouncing Charge. Str and Dex and Wis and Sneak Attack to everything. Hooray.

I also like Mouthpick Spiked Chains for Crusaders, so that you can use a two handed weapon and a shield. So even if the enemy gets past your AoO area and near to your exalted person you can make a (two handed) shield bash with Shield Counter which will then cause them to miss their next attack.

Other things that like shields get a lot out of mouthpick weapons as well. A Mouthpick Spiked Chain clenched in your teeth, and a heavy shield in your hand is the one true sword and board.

Unfortunately mouthpick weapons interfere with casting, if it has verbal components, but spell like abilities (like your Factotum Tripper's Arcane Dilletante stuff or your PsyWar's powers) don't interfere with it.

I also like having the chain be intelligent so it can do your talking for you while you grunt unintelligibly. Assuming of course that your DM lets you RP your own intelligent weapon.

Coidzor
2014-06-18, 01:47 AM
I suppose you could try to combine TWF and THF in order to dual wield a Kaorti-Resin or Heavy Jovar or similar already Exotic Two-handed weapon(Spiked Chain, even) using one's mouthpick weapon slot & then wield something like a glaive or great sword in one's hands.

I suddenly wonder if the BoEF has options somewhere that adds bite attacks to other.. body parts. And how that'd be extrapolated into this ability. :smalleek:

Hmm... I think vagina dentata might be a spell, but I can't recall for sure. Probably not too applicable though.

DigoDragon
2014-06-18, 10:08 AM
How many mouths does a Gibbering Mouther have? I'm sure that's a headache to stat with weapons. :smalltongue:

Just gonna leave this here

Hee hee, I was thinking about Maximus from Tangled.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gP0YbyEAqFY/TJDy-dPS5KI/AAAAAAAARDk/X3NCg-HGiQU/s1600/enredados-trailer4.gif

Swaoeaeieu
2014-06-18, 10:23 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gP0YbyEAqFY/TJDy-dPS5KI/AAAAAAAARDk/X3NCg-HGiQU/s1600/enredados-trailer4.gif

Best. Screenshot. EVER
I wil be using this in the future. A lot.

Tvtyrant
2014-06-18, 01:13 PM
I would go Magic Jar-Twelve Headed Hydra as a Kobold Wizard using the Multi-weapon fighting line. So many attacks!

weckar
2014-06-18, 01:20 PM
Somatic Gish builds could maybe benefit from this. Wand in one hand, free casting hand, blade in mouth.

Urpriest
2014-06-18, 02:25 PM
If you have claws, this lets you keep using them. A Rapidstrike build, for example. You could add a Spiked Chain to the King of Smack.

Coidzor
2014-06-18, 05:42 PM

Give him a spiked chain and your mount could even be a half(ish) decent tripper, I suppose.

CrazyYanmega
2014-06-18, 07:48 PM
Hmm. The ideas here are cool, but you're forgetting the most important thing.

Awakened animals and Animal Companions.

http://youtu.be/fkyi8aLgq_k?t=1m24s

SoraWolf7
2014-06-18, 08:59 PM
http://www.renders-graphics.com/image/upload/normal/8173_render_roronoa_zoro2.png

While this seems simple in context, it's a little more complicated to give someone TWF AND a Natural attack combo worthy of someone like Zoro. The closest I can think of is using a Longtooth Shifter (though that needs feats that TWF can't really afford to give up), or a Dellfaren without being Evil and getting Willing Deformity (Teeth).

Jaklefire
2014-06-18, 09:05 PM
Bear Warrior, 'nuff said.

Shining Wrath
2014-06-18, 09:12 PM

Isn't Chain Devil a playable race? I feel a song coming on:

"Hoh! Ah! Hoh! Ah!
That's the sound of the devil ... working on the chain gang-ang-ang;
That's the sound of the devil ... workin' on the chain gang".

Gemini476
2014-06-18, 10:24 PM
Isn't Chain Devil a playable race? I feel a song coming on:

"Hoh! Ah! Hoh! Ah!
That's the sound of the devil ... working on the chain gang-ang-ang;
That's the sound of the devil ... workin' on the chain gang".

Chain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2XHYKWLGTg&feature=kp) Devils (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#chainDevilKyton) are ECL 14, yeah.
And their chains are natural weapons, believe it or not. You could go TWF with a two-handed Spiked Chain in your hands and a Light mouthpick.
+6 Spiked Chain/+6 Mouthpick/+1 Spiked Chain/+1 Mouthpick/+1 Chain/+1 Chain is somewhat funny, I guess, but LA+6 is really painful. Even with +4 to all physical scores and regeneration and natural weapons and Outsider LA. The eight RHD are alright, but sheesh.