PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance minotaurs?

YPU
2007-02-23, 06:48 AM
I was flipping trough the dragonlance campaign setting the other day and noticed the minotaur. I am not sure if it would be so balanced for a LA0 race, I am thinking on this because one of my players is going to switch to a captain like character soon, and take the leadership feat. He was hoping his second in command could be a minotaur. Now, the dragonlance minotaur seem to fit the eberron setting quite nicely, but I am wondering if they aren’t overpowered.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 06:59 AM
They could use a LA +1 sticker.

clarkvalentine
2007-02-23, 09:50 AM
Yes, that's one that the designers looked back on later and said could use an LA +1. It wasn't officially errataed, but you'd be pretty justified in ruling that.

KoDT69
2007-02-23, 09:55 AM
At least they are still only 1HD and only +4 STR as far as I recall. The other version was what, 6HD and +8 STR? That would be a little overbalanced if not for the LA. I kinda like the +0 LA Dragonlance version myself, but then again, my players all have real crappy stats compared to some we've had in the past. I had to give a few arbitrary bonuses because 2 players would have been 1st level farmers, with 100 cows each. Wait a minute... that may have been fun to play out :smallbiggrin:

YPU
2007-02-23, 10:38 AM
Ok, this is supposed to be in home brewing, but what do you say about this?
· +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.

Medium: As Medium creatures, minotaur have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Minotaur base land speed is 30 feet.
darkvision minotaurs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and minotaurs can function just fine with no light at all.
Natural attack: a minotaur may use his horns as natural weapons to make a gore attack, dealing 1d6 damage. If the minotaur charges, his gore attack deals 2d6 points of damage, plus 1 ½ times his strength modifier. A minotaur can attack with a weapon at his normal attack bonus and make a gore attack as a (-5 penalty on attack roll, and half strength bonus to roll).
Automatic Languages: Common and giant. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Orc, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
Favored Class: barbarian A multiclass minotaur barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 10:42 AM
Try comparing it to the Half-Orc.

YPU
2007-02-23, 10:47 AM
its an 'upgrade' of the half orc, actually. i think this would make it a worthwhile race, just that natural attack, still not that powerful, but useful.
I almost copied it with some spaces still saying half-orc.

Wagadodo
2007-02-23, 10:53 AM
I have had Minotaurs characters in my Dragonlance Campaign, I didn't give them the +1 but they were not that over powering as is. I think just getting rid of the Natural Armor of the +2 or dropping the Strength bonus to a +2 would make it effective. But if you want to limit them so, don't let them use Footwear because of hooves, or their head slot is taken up with horns, that would drop their effectiveness some at higher levels.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 10:55 AM
The Natural Attack is very useful at lower levels.

Why not just use the LA-Buyoff rules from Unearthed Arcane and use the standard DL Minotaur?