PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need help changing ashworm dragoon

lytokk
2014-06-17, 07:51 AM
It looks like I'm finally getting the chance to be a player again, and the DM liked my character concept. What he did mention was it would be interesting if he ended up having a class built around riding a non-standard mount, a wyvern. The first thing that came to mind in similarity would be the ashworms from Sandstorm, along with the ashworm dragoon class. What do you think needs to be changed from it to make it work for a wyvern? Obviously will no longer need those burrow features, but I don't know what changes would be appropriate for a flying mount.

Gwendol
2014-06-17, 08:41 AM
What is it about the class that you want to keep, specifically? There are quite a few mounted combat PrC's, some made for flying mounts, that may also be considered.

lytokk
2014-06-17, 08:46 AM
Honestly, it was the first class that came to mind, due to similarities to the ashworm and the wyvern, both need exotic saddles, both have a poison stinger, and the DM was calling my character a dragoon even though he had no mounted combat potential, but it was more due to the base of the character being a character from a final fantasy game, with dragoon as his class.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-17, 09:04 AM
The Aglarondan Griffonrider PrC from Unapproachable East is a pretty straight forward Mounted Flyer, and not hard at all to get into.

Gwendol
2014-06-17, 09:49 AM
The Aglarondan Griffonrider PrC from Unapproachable East is a pretty straight forward Mounted Flyer, and not hard at all to get into.

That was on my mind as well, even though it's not a particularly cool class. Still, you can pick what you like from it and substitute the worm-related abilities. I understand you want to keep the stinger attack, but stamp the sand and sand/earth rider has to go.