PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Raelgil 3.5 race PEACH

Cranthis
2014-06-17, 09:26 AM
Raelgil

A mysterious race of part flesh, part gemstone beings. They first came about when a group of Humans and Elves were having a peace meeting, in the neutral territory of the Arcane City. The mad, nameless, son of Archmage Lucian set of a bomb made of raw magic, in the middle of the ceremony. Raw magic can cause even the impossible to happen, and so it did.

Raelgil Traits (Ex): Raelgil possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
- Medium Humanoid (Raelgil)
- Racial Skills: +2 Knowledge: Arcana, +2 Spellcraft
- +2 Natural Armor
- Special qualities: Immortal: No aging penalties, but only gain the first step aging bonuses.
- Sonic Vulnerability (Ex): Raelgil take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from sonic energy, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
- Gem Shot
-Raelgil have a base speed of 30 feet.
-Raelgil speak Common and Elven, Bonus languages: Any.
-Favored Class: Wizard.
-Raelgil can have their Gemtstones enchanted as magic items, taking up the slot that the gemstone(s) occupy.
Level adjustment: +1

Gem Shot (Ex): As a standard action, a Raelgil may reduce his natural armor bonus in increments of 2, until their next turn, to fire a gem from one of their forearms. This is a ranged attack, range 30 feet, dealing 1d6 for every 2 points reduced from their natural armor, either bludgeoning or piercing (determine this before rolling to hit). The projectile shatters after the damage has been resolved. This counts as a natural attack for all purposes.

A Better Physical Description

They essentially appear to be Half-Elves, but they have a sleek, gemstone plate on he outer forearm, outer upper arm, the edge of the ears at the top (pointed), the shins, front of the thighs, shoulder blades, lower back on either side of the spine, jaw line, in between the knuckles, and the nails. As for their insides, their bones tend to be made of the same gemstone as their plating. Their gemstones can be of any variety, but are usually Diamond, Ruby, Saphire, Topaz (Orange-ish), and Amythest, although they can be found with any gem of 7 Mohs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness) in hardness or greater.

Due to the gemstones in and on their bodies, they are a bit tougher than most races, and abit harder to damage. Their minds are sharp thanks to the magic coursing through their brain. It is theorized they have a solid gem mind, powered by raw magic. They have a hard time figuring out where they belong in the world, and thus are less sociable than other races.

So, what do you guys think, and how can I improve this?

Cranthis
2014-06-17, 09:27 AM
Racial Feats

Hardened Gems
Prerequisite: Race Raelgil.
The Raelgil's natural armor bonus increases by 2.
This feat may be taken up to 2 times.

Sharper Gems
Prerequisite: Raelgil, Hardened Gems, BAB 3.
The Raelgil's Gem shot now does 1d8 damage.

Gem Storm*
Prerequisite Raelgil, BAB 6.
Gem Shot may now be used as a full attack action. Other requirements of Gem Shot still apply.
*(The wording on this one needs some work. The intent is they can take their -2 to their natural armor, and then use Gem shot as a full attack.)

Gem Blades
Requirement: Raelgil
The Raelgil has learned to extend his forearm plate into a sharp blade, at the expense of his ranged attack.
The Raelgil replaces his Gem Shot (EX) ability with a 1d6 slash attack. If they take/have taken the Sharper Gems feat, this damage is increased to 1d8. They may grow this blade on one or both arms as a move action. Both blades count as light weapons for the purposes of Two-weapon fighting.

Amechra
2014-06-17, 04:25 PM
What's their type? I'm assuming Aberration for now.

These guys are a really nice Wizard race... if you allow LA buy-off. Otherwise they are pretty weak for a LA +1.

And as one last point: these guys have a real incentive to ramp up their Natural Armor. If Flaws are allowed, I can get Crystal Shot to deal 3d6 damage at level 1, which scales to about 8d6 per attack at higher levels.

Cranthis
2014-06-17, 07:15 PM
They are humanoids. But the LA thing is an issue I had last time I got help with this. They are just abit too low for la +1, and just abit too high for la +0

EdroGrimshell
2014-06-17, 11:13 PM
Hm, I'd honestly make this psionic, crystal races tend to be associated with psionics, so it makes some sense.

So what I'd do is this:

* +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma (Crystal is fragile)
* Medium Humanoid (Elf) (You said that they were sorta like elves, so why not make them elves?)
* Racial Skills: +2 Autohypnosis & Concentration (A psionic equivalent, except for skills that would make more sense for a crystal, psionically charged mind.)
* +2 Natural Armor
* Special qualities: Immortal: No aging penalties, but only gain the first step aging bonuses.
* Crystal Shot
* Raelgil have a base speed of 30 feet.
* Naturally Psionic: 1pp at first level
* Sonic Vulnerability: A raelgil takes a penalty to saving throws against Sonic effects equal to his natural armor bonus. (Sound waves usually damage crystal pretty easily)
* Raelgil speak Common and Elven, Bonus languages: Any.
* Favored Class: Psion.
* Raelgil can have their crystals enchanted as magic items, taking up the slot that the crystal(s) occupy. (This can be done as a feat or included in a paragon class)
* Level adjustment: +1 0 (once you get rid of a few of the features and put some additional restrictions, the LA goes down)

Crystal Shot (Ex): As a standard action, a Raelgil may expend his psionic focus to reduce his natural armor bonus in increments of 2, until their next turn, to fire a crystal from one of their forearms. This is a ranged attack, dealing 1d6 for every 2 points reduced from their natural armor, either bludgeoning or piercing (determine this before rolling to hit). The projectile shatters after the damage has been resolved. This counts as a natural attack for all purposes. These crystals may be charged as if they were Deep Crystal when the Raelgil reaches 5 Hit Die.

Cranthis
2014-06-17, 11:41 PM
I just don't want them to be psionic. I've had one or two other people suggest, but they aren't going to be psionic.

EdroGrimshell
2014-06-18, 03:42 PM
I just don't want them to be psionic. I've had one or two other people suggest, but they aren't going to be psionic.

Fair enough, other changes still stand, remove the Con Bonus, give a sonic vulnerability, and removing the ability to enchant the crystals (at least without a class or feat) should make them relatively close to LA 0

Andion Isurand
2014-06-20, 04:02 AM
I would just make it the classic take 50% more damage from sonic energy. That way he can take the Suppress Weakness and Overcome Weakness feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20031116a&page=3) if he so wishes.

Sonic Vulnerability (Ex): Raelgil take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from sonic energy, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

SinsI
2014-06-20, 09:55 AM
What's the range increment for their projectile attack?

Cranthis
2014-06-20, 05:46 PM
Fret not, I have been reading, but I've been too busy to update the race. The range is in the description of crystal shot though. I will be taking everything into consideration, and will make changes when I have time.

Cranthis
2014-06-23, 01:06 AM
I have made a few flavor changes to the Raelgil, as well as giving them the Sonic Vulnerability, as it does make sense.