PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Making Kain Highwind from Final Fantasy 4, looking for feedback. Warblade Build

lytokk
2014-06-17, 11:21 AM
So, I'm getting to play again, and the concept I decided on was the traditional Final Fantasy dragoon, Kain Highwind. I've figured I'll more than likely use a Warblade chassis, human race, with stat priority being Str>Int>Dex>Con>Cha>Wis. The DM hasn't decided how we're going to figure out stats yet, so I'm just working with an imagined priority list, with INT being moveable so long as I can get at least a 14, mostly for bonus skill points. My manuevers will mostly be focused on the leaping attacks from the Tiger Claw school, since they thematically fit the character, and very likely Iron Heart maneuvers. Obviously, going to keep jump capped, and get all the wonderful synergy bonuses I can. Weapon of choice will be a halberd, keeping a spear and a heavy mace as a backup. Spear mostly for throwing, and the mace to round out my weapon choices.

What I'm running into problems with is feat choices. Power Attack is a given, but I can't think of much else to pick up that would really be beneficial. Quickdraw will come at Warblade level 5, since its the most beneficial choice of the feats I see in the bonus feat selection to the idea that isn't one of the skill based feats. Leap attack at level 6. Really looking for things to help ignore the minimum 20 foot movement or half for jump checks, increasing my jump modifier, or anything to focus on polearm fighting.

Any help or feedback that could be given about the concept would be appreciated.

Red Fel
2014-06-17, 11:48 AM
Have you read the Little Red Raiding Hood builds (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1659301)?

Classic thread outlining several styles of agile polearm-based combatant. Highly mobile with destructive damage potential. Several of the builds involve Warblade. You'll find the advice, in terms of feats, builds and strategies, invaluable. Go. Read. Love.

Just remember that there are two Kains - Awesome!Kain and Emo!Kain. Please don't be Emo!Kain. Please.

lytokk
2014-06-17, 11:51 AM
I had not seen that guidebook but I will give it a look.

Also, Kain's just the physical design. Depending on how the DM starts the game, I'm leaning towards a Judge Dredd or Alex Murphy personality for the town guardsman.

lytokk
2014-06-17, 12:36 PM
Alright, in reading through the guide, I've got a little bit more of a breakdown, at least for feats

1: Power Attack
Human: Leap of the Heavens

3: Maybe Quickdraw, unless I can think of something better.

5: Improved Initiative

6: Leap Attack