PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me build a spymaster character? 3.5

slaydemons
2014-06-17, 12:35 PM
So, I was looking at spymaster and fell in love with it. though it looks like its more designed around being a npc class rather then a pc class so I thought what the spy master does best, they keep their identity a secret while gathering information, is there anyway to replicate this and still be useful in combat? Lets go with a level 20 build WBL gold but no custom magics or magic items. Though I think bard 20 might be able to do this.

Edit: for 3.5 forgot that

nedz
2014-06-17, 12:41 PM
Beguiler 20
Has all of the skills and the spells

Bard 20 [Bardic Sage variant] is almost as good.

slaydemons
2014-06-17, 12:45 PM
Beguiler 20
Has all of the skills and the spells

Bard 20 [Bardic Sage variant] is almost as good.

Information gathering is more easy then being good melee XD, mind if I adjust my request? my character does it with no magic what so ever.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-17, 12:49 PM
So, you don't want to actually use the Spymaster PrC, but still do stuff a Spymaster can do, only also perform well in combat. Is that about right?

slaydemons
2014-06-17, 12:51 PM
So, you don't want to actually use the Spymaster PrC, but still do stuff a Spymaster can do, only also perform well in combat. Is that about right?

I would use the spymaster PRC but its not really meant for combat stuff, which most pcs are built on it seems, what I want is to be able to gather information perhaps under a false face and not be terrible in combat.

MrSinister
2014-06-17, 12:57 PM
I am messing around with a crazy combo of all kinds of "spy" classes that might fit the bill. Changeling Rogue + Cabinet Trickster + Mindspy + Shadowdancer + Uncanny Trickster = you sneak in, kill someone, replace them, and get on with your dirty work. All while reading minds and bluffing the heck out everyone. Toss in some levels of Swashbuckler for a little more combat flavor, and you're set.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-17, 12:59 PM
I would use the spymaster PRC but its not really meant for combat stuff, which most pcs are built on it seems, what I want is to be able to gather information perhaps under a false face and not be terrible in combat.

Well, it has +2d6 Sneak Attack progression, and 5 BAB, so it could dovetail nicely with a Rogue build. Capitalize on Craven to add bonus damage... Maybe utilize sleight of hand and feint to set up for sneak attacks, go into Invisible Blade to take further advantage, or Master Thrower as well... I like duplicitous characters, and a spy with some hidden or inconspicuous daggers suddenly skewering you from 10 feet away is fun.

slaydemons
2014-06-17, 01:00 PM
I am messing around with a crazy combo of all kinds of "spy" classes that might fit the bill. Changeling Rogue + Cabinet Trickster + Mindspy + Shadowdancer + Uncanny Trickster = you sneak in, kill someone, replace them, and get on with your dirty work. All while reading minds and bluffing the heck out everyone. Toss in some levels of Swashbuckler for a little more combat flavor, and you're set.

I like this I have to find out a few of those classes, some I know are hard to get into I think.

dysprosium
2014-06-17, 01:11 PM
I won an Iron Chef Gold for replicating Michael Westen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17235850&postcount=242) from Burn Notice.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-17, 02:34 PM
I was bored and wrote up that build I conjectured about earlier...

Rogue 5/Spymaster 7/Invisible Blade 5/Master Thrower 3

16 BAB, 5/16/5 Fort/Ref/Will

Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Skill Focus (Bluff), Precise Shot, Craven, Neraph Throw and 2 more feats to choose from as well.

You get 5d6 sneak attack die, 8d6 if you use a dagger, and add 20 to the damage on all sneak attacks from Craven.

slaydemons
2014-06-17, 03:34 PM
I was bored and wrote up that build I conjectured about earlier...

Rogue 5/Spymaster 7/Invisible Blade 5/Master Thrower 3

16 BAB, 5/16/5 Fort/Ref/Will

Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Skill Focus (Bluff), Precise Shot, Craven, Neraph Throw and 2 more feats to choose from as well.

You get 5d6 sneak attack die, 8d6 if you use a dagger, and add 20 to the damage on all sneak attacks from Craven.

you also need weapon focus on a dagger~ which can double for the ranged weapon for masterthrower

WeaselGuy
2014-06-17, 04:04 PM
You are 100% correct, I knew I was forgetting something lol... take WF(Dagger) between levels 3 & 12, and then shift the other feats down... still room for one more feat at 18

Hecuba
2014-06-17, 05:03 PM
There is a FR variation on the class called Zhentarim Spy that only has 5 levels. It advances Sneak Attack twice, and still provides Deep Cover (which is almost impossible to otherwise replicate, though you can fill most of its PC-facing scope with Mindblank & Co).

It's in PGtF.