PDA

View Full Version : 3K Gold, lvl6 Barbarian needs to go shopping.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-17, 12:54 PM
So, I have the opportunity to get some magic items but I'm not sure what I should go for.

I've got Boots of the Battle Charger, a +2 Dwarven War Axe and a +1 Breastplate w/+5 hide

I just got Shock Trooper and want to go for Leap Attack at 9.

I was thinking of Blurring added to the BP to help with incoming damage mitigation during Heedless Charge.

I have about 3500GP to work with, any input is appreciated.

Blood~

RogueDM
2014-06-17, 02:12 PM
Blurring is a solid choice. Could also add "Berserker" to the axe for more damage while raging. Thematically Shock Trooper makes me want to say "warning" on the axe for +5 initiative to always catch the enemy with their pants down for some flat footed mayhem, but I still remember being told that taking "improved initiative" for my level-1 feat was a waste. Suppose because it only helps with the first round/surprise round each combat.

Darrin
2014-06-17, 02:37 PM
Amulet of Teamwork (2000 GP, MIC).
Brute Gauntlets (500 GP, MIC).
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC).
Troll Gut Rope (500 GP, MIC).

If you're looking to upgrade the breastplate, I think I'd grab Durable (500 GP, Dungeonscape), Restful (500 GP, Dungeonscape), Easy Travel (1500 GP, MIC), and/or Anti-Impact (2000 GP, Complete Warrior) first.

Something else to consider: Dwarven Buckler-Axe +1 (1170 GP) with a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection (2500 GP). Don't bother with EWP, just strap it on for +2 shield bonus and a +5 untyped AC bonus against all ranged attacks.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-17, 03:12 PM
You're going to want to start looking into miss chances, since you will be regularly tanking AC via shock trooper. I wouldn't suggest the AC based options in general... it'll be a lost cause! +1 Smoking Armor spikes, maybe? Consider Valorous for the weapon.

A +1 Baatorian Greensteel Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon) would be better, maybe? Maybe a Duom instead?

jjcrpntr
2014-06-17, 03:50 PM
, but I still remember being told that taking "improved initiative" for my level-1 feat was a waste. Suppose because it only helps with the first round/surprise round each combat.

I got told that as well. one player started telling me to retrain the feat and the dm said "if he wants to waste a feat let him."

Bloodgruve
2014-06-18, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, these will be helpful.

Blood~

Juntao112
2014-06-18, 08:54 AM
Get your armor Glamered so that you can fight enemies in an intimidating codpiece, and nothing else.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-18, 12:07 PM
Get your armor Glamered so that you can fight enemies in an intimidating codpiece, and nothing else.

I have decided to go this direction. TY.

Blood~

Techwarrior
2014-06-18, 12:41 PM
In the case of a charger build (well, anyone without native access to the ability, but chargers especially), I'd actually suggest a Scout's Headband. It's 3k (or 3.4k, I don't recall off the top of my head), and grants per day abilities to see things you couldn't normally see. We all know what happens when a Charger can see an enemy right? The enemy gets splatted.

Also, Improved Initiative is never a 'wasted' feat. Going first usually also means going last, as in 'strike first, strike last.' Improved Initiative is one of those feats that you wish you had room for, but it always seems to fall off near the end of the list due to other feats being critical to your setup (like Power Attack). If you ever have an extra feat that you're unsure what to do with, Improved Initiative is a viable option.