PDA

View Full Version : Where to Build a Giant Walking Metropolis? Extraplanar Edition

unseenmage
2014-06-17, 03:46 PM
For a character starting in Faerun and assuming normal cosmological boundaries what extraplanar locations would be best for building giant mechanical walking metropolises?

I know that several of the optimal open spaces among the planes are claimed by various deities and extraplanar powers that my character either shouldn't or wouldn't bother tangling with.
The character's goal is not conquest. More just to build some cool things in cool places. He would prefer that the city-mechs aren't detrimental to the local politics too. Doesn't want them used for evil. Or good for that matter. He just wants them to be allowed to, well, just be I guess.

So, thoughts advice etc about where in the Planes giant walking city-mechs won't cause a stir or attract the absolute wrong kind of attention welcome.

For those curious he's nigh epic and will be using the Dragonmech rules. He is building one on the Prime Material of Faerun itself in "The Endless Wastes". I'm still researching who claims that land and who exactly will be peeved off about a magically funded giant walking city-mech construction project happening there.

Falcon X
2014-06-19, 12:02 AM
Without a doubt in Mechanus or in a plane nearby
- Arcadia if it's somewhat good aligned and ruled by peace
- Ascheron if it's somewhat evil aligned and ruled by war
- The border town of Automata on the Outlands if you want the Mechanus feel, but slightly neutral of pure law.

If you just want them to be and exist, without a plan towards war or peace, you might go with straight Mechanus. It's ruled by automatons in a perfectly lawful society. The plane is made of gears and you might even be able to get good labor if you can get through the bureaucracy and have a good plan.

Note: this is a great chance for a player to play a rogue modron. Just a thought...

Eldan
2014-06-19, 06:45 AM
The Outlands already have some, so that should work.

Brookshw
2014-06-19, 06:51 AM
The Outlands already have some, so that should work.

There's also the crawling city in Gehenna.

There's enough open space in many planes you could dump one just about anywhere, places that wouldn't be so great might be easier to list which is just about any lower plane.

Endril
2014-06-19, 08:32 AM
You might be able to find a demi plane where your cities can have some privacy.

Gildedragon
2014-06-19, 01:45 PM
A decent place to build such a city, and one where it would make a lot of sense for it to be moving around: Plane of Shadow

the moving has it avoid a lot of the native dangers, and it can act as a trading outpost and quick-travel convenience for planar travelers.

It could even go deep into the shadow and come back, visit the many primes.

---

Or in the vast chasms of the underdark / the plane of earth; the city burrows through the rocks, drilling out tunnels, extracting gems.