PDA

View Full Version : List of all known an confirmed post HoM mutants

Jerthanis
2007-02-23, 02:06 PM
Alright, in this thread we're going to try to count up all the mutants that have been confirmed as having retained their power post house of M. The reason being that we can try to figure out exactly how many spots in the 198 are full. I'll start with a list off the top of my head:

1. Kitty Pryde
2. Cyclops
3. Wolverine
4. Emma Frost
5. Beast
6. Squirrel Girl
7. Ricochet

Characters I'm unclear on: Deadpool, does his mutagenic alterations "count" as the X-gene in terms of the House of M events? Also, Colossus, was he "dead" when House of M happened, and revived afterwards, thus allowing his X-gene to be uncounted in the 198? Thus allowing 199 spots?

I'll post more when I have more time.

Overlard
2007-02-23, 02:15 PM
I've definitely seen Gambit and Iceman with their powers since HoM.

kamikasei
2007-02-23, 02:35 PM
Alright, in this thread we're going to try to count up all the mutants that have been confirmed as having retained their power post house of M. The reason being that we can try to figure out exactly how many spots in the 198 are full. I'll start with a list off the top of my head:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28comics%29#Confirmed_Remaining_Mutant s

According to that article, the 198 number is entirely too low.

Jerthanis
2007-02-23, 09:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28comics%29#Confirmed_Remaining_Mutant s

According to that article, the 198 number is entirely too low.

Whoa... I should know by now, whenever I need to know anything I should just ask Wikipedia.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-02-24, 01:17 PM
Well...anything related to obscure comics questions at least :p

Hzurr
2007-02-25, 03:35 PM
How does it say that 198 is too low? Didn't they say point blank at the end of HoM that cerribro (sp) only found less than 200?

*note* I might have this wrong

kamikasei
2007-02-25, 03:40 PM
How does it say that 198 is too low? Didn't they say point blank at the end of HoM that cerribro (sp) only found less than 200?

The Wikipedia article I linked says it near the start of the page:

It has been confirmed by various sources that there are considerably more than 198 mutants remaining - the number has been referred to as "symbolic" rather than actual, and in The 198 Files is said to be the earliest confirmed number. Numbers for pre-Decimation mutants vary from "over a million" (House of M #8) to 16 million (New X-Men (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28vol._2%29) #115, where it is said that the 16 million mutants who died on Genosha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genosha) was around "half" the mutant population), giving a population, if the commonly-used 90% depowered figure is true, of between one hundred thousand and one and a half million.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-26, 12:06 AM
A better question would be, "Who besides bit characters actually lost their powers following the Decimation?" That's a much simpler list to populate.

Nightwing
2007-02-26, 08:40 PM
I think the hole mutants losing there Powers thing was dumb in the first place.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-12, 07:37 AM
My guess is that it happened because some high-up shmuck in Marvel decided that there were entirely too many mutants running around, so he wanted the number reduced.

Raxtenko
2007-03-12, 08:07 AM
A better question would be, "Who besides bit characters actually lost their powers following the Decimation?" That's a much simpler list to populate.

The GLA/GLX/GLC are all mutants, and bit players, who still have their powers.

anphorus
2007-03-12, 09:44 AM
I think that the reason for it was that writers were just getting really lazy with power origins for new characters. Rather than actually putting thought into it they just made them a mutant.

I'm in two minds about that, on the one hand they have a point and the writers were getting kinda lazy. On the other hand, it makes sense for most superpowered people to be mutants. There are only so many secret government experiments or crazy accidents that I'll believe.

Still, it was pretty stupid all those mutants losing their powers.

StudlyDuck
2007-03-12, 08:54 PM
Characters I'm unclear on: Deadpool, does his mutagenic alterations "count" as the X-gene in terms of the House of M events? Deadpool is not a mutant (Though people have to constantly remind him of this). His powers come from technological treatment.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-12, 11:50 PM
My theory is they just felt they needed to cut the overall power level down a few notches. Somebody probably decided that there were far too many super-powered humans out there, and since mutation is the most common origin story it makes a convenient target. It may have even been in anticipation of the Civil War (can you imagine how that would have turned out if the registration act was passed pre-Decimation?), or at the very least in anticipation of a number of upcomicing mega-crossovers (they'd already done Disassambled and House of M, so it's quite likely they'd got there minds set on this new trend).