PDA

View Full Version : Singularity

malonkey1
2014-06-17, 10:45 PM
Has there ever been a time, or is there a theoretical possibility, that somehow a mathematical singularity should appear in the rules?

To be clear, a mathematical singularity is basically, divide by zero. What I mean is, as a result of random die rolls and mathematics inherent to the game, somehow, can a division by zero crop up, and if so, what might happen? This question applies mostly to Pathfinder and 3.5, but it could really be asked of all D20 systems.

Someonelse
2014-06-17, 11:00 PM
Could you please clarify your question? I'm confused. What do you mean by a division of zero cropping up?

Promises Kept
2014-06-17, 11:02 PM
While there are a number of possible infinities as a result of rule interactions, division by any variable value is, to the best of my knowledge, not present in the 3.5 ruleset. Of course, I may be wrong, but I think the designers have avoided the possibility of such a thing.

NichG
2014-06-17, 11:13 PM
There are implicit divisions in the calculations of probabilities of events that cause singularities. The generalization of the d2 Crusader is an example of this - imagine a dX Crusader and calculate the expectation value of damage dealt.

The recursion relationship is: <damage> = (<damage for a single roll>) + Prepeat * <damage>

So <damage> = <damage for a single roll> * 1/(1-Prepeat)

So as Prepeat approaches 1, there is an implicit mathematical singularity in the expected damage.

Necroticplague
2014-06-17, 11:44 PM
Nothing in dnd is ever divided by a variable, only by constants (though variable/constant does exist). As such, you can't get any divide-by-zero. The closest you can get is ratios, which aren't quite the same (for example, effect/cl)), as having a 0 on the "denominator" does produce a result (like in that example, you would get 0 effect if your cl was zero).

Arbane
2014-06-18, 04:56 AM
ISTR someone jokingly made a Plane Of Powergamers, where samples of the worst rules-combos were imprisoned. One was a d2 Crusader frozen in mid-attack against a Frenzied Berserker: one does infinite damage, one can take infinite damage. Since they can never stop rolling damage, time doesn't progress for them...

Chronos
2014-06-18, 09:00 AM
The d2 crusader is not forced to continue rolling damage: There's a "you may" in there. So once he's gotten it up to a trillion or whatever, he can just choose to stop re-rolling.

I think the omniscificier's trick might be a forced infinity, though.

Bakkan
2014-06-18, 11:59 AM
The d2 crusader is not forced to continue rolling damage: There's a "you may" in there.

Can you provide me with a citation? I'm looking through the text of Aura of Chaos and Imbued Healing and I'm not seeing it, unless you're referring to the line "You can continue to reroll as long as a die shows its maximum possible result". The use of "can" is ambiguous in natural English, but I believe its primary meaning is "is capable of". The previous line, "When one or more of your damage dice show a maximum possible result, reroll each such die and add its result to the original damage total", seems to indicate that the reroll is required.

weckar
2014-06-18, 12:05 PM
Usually when such a thing would crop up, the game provides the answer. Such as when, say, you can use an ability CHAmod times per day, it will give you the minimum.