PDA

View Full Version : Just a little 'Hallmark' moment to share with the Playground

Oddman80
2014-06-17, 10:58 PM
I started playing D&D just a few months ago. I fell in love with it instantly. The campaign I am in runs weekly late on friday nights. The following morning, my 7 year old son asks me how my game is and i usually end up giving him an in-depth summary (often takes about an hour to tell). he just soaks it up. He remembers details about my campaign i often forget - and reminds me of things (why the thing my character did was a bad decision) i had forgotten. He has also been begging me to play. I am pretty sure the 3.5 system is a bit too technical and too difficult for my 7 year old son.. but i am less and less sure these days. Especially after today.

It started off during a drive with him, when he was asking me more about details of my game. then out of the blue, he drops this on me:

"When I am old enough to play, I want to be a Half-Orc Barbarian just like you!"

Oh. My. Goodness!!! I think maybe I should be ashamed about how tender that moment felt, but screw it - I know he has no interest in my actual profession, so this may be the closest I ever get to that "Dad, I want to be just like you" moment every father longs for.

Well, I can't leave it there. I ask him to tell me a little about the character he wants to play.... And I kid you not - my son goes into an incredible back story. We spend the rest of the car ride, and a good half hour or so after that, flushing out the story, and putting together a myth-weavers sheet for him. So - in case you are interested in reading more about the world my son created in that little brain of his, I give you the Saga of Zev Thunderbird:

The Saga of Zev Thunderbird

Zev grew up in a big city on the coast. Both his parents were were half-Orcs, and they raised him along with his two older sisters. The younger sister had the makings of a would be ranger, while the older sister... well, she is rogue material through and through. On most evenings growing up, his whole family would go down to the beach and they would swim. He and his sisters would challenge each other who could swim the farthest. Despite his young age, Zev would often win.

Zev's dad had been a great barbarian adventurer in his younger days, but had since settled down and opened a blacksmith shop in town. In his spare time, he would teach Zev some of his best moves with his Greatsword, though Zev was till too young to wield it by himself.

When Zev was 9, his mother and sisters went on a long trip, leaving Zev and his father back in the city. However, while they were away, a series of strange events started happening in the city. Ghosts, Vampires, and goblins were all working together, little by little, each night, to take out more and more of the city guard. Word started to spread about the nightly invasions, and a panic descended upon the city. Masses of people were fleeing in fear, when the great attack happened.

Zev had never seen anything like it… he wasn’t sure if anyone had. But it seemed like tens of thousands of creatures were attacking the city in waves. Zev's father tried joining in the fight to save the city, but the invading forces were too many, and the guard had become too weak. He told Zev to run - to get away - but how could Zev leave his father behind? He knew he could not fight - so he hid as best he could. And from the the upstairs window of a now then-abandoned building - he watched as his own father was struck down.

When the hordes of ghosts and goblins moved on - deeper into the city, Zev ran down to his father. Sadly, there seemed to be little he could do. He said a prayer, took his fathers Greatsword and ran - for what seemed like forever. He lost track of time, but he was pretty sure several days had passed when he stumbled into the wreckage of another city. It too had been the victim of th attacks his own city fell to.

On and on he traveled. Alone. In mourning. Unsure where exactly he was. Or where he should go. He wandered this way for months. The story was the same at every town he arrived in. Goblins Vampires and Ghosts - hordes of them had ravaged the towns. he began hearing tales of a city that would be a safe haven - though no one was sure how to get there. The town was called Marta, and it was part of the Thunder Isles. Zev learned that as far as anyone knew, any ship that had ever sailed too close to the thunder isles was destroyed by mysterious tempests that would come out of nowhere. The only reason anyone has ever heard of the town is because of a legend. A legend of a man who once swam there and back.

Zev set off to the east, trying to get the coast off of which he could see the Thunder Isles. He was hopeful that if he was ever going to see his mother or sisters again, it would be in Marta. When he arrived at the coast, he went to a local butcher and bought several sheeps lungs, which he inflated, and secured to his father’s Greatsword. he left all of his other possessions behind, and dove into the sea.

For four days he swam - and the gods must surely have been smiling upon him - for, at last, he reached the shores of Marta. It was no Utopia - but it was, true to the legend, a safe haven. It was a peaceful but militant city made up entirely of Aasimars. They had maintained their safety by requiring all inhabitants to serve in the city guard for 6 years. The men were all raised as paladins, while the women were all raised as clerics - all devoted to the Goddess Beory. All of the paladins had special celestial spirit lion mounts that helped patrol the island. Together with the clerics, the citywide guard was able to ward off all evil and all undead threats to the Isles. They did not call for the tempests that destroyed incoming ships, but they did not question the supernatural events either - as they trusted that they were all carried out by Beory herself.

It was an old man named Greago Thunderbird that noticed Zev’s exhausted body washing up on shore. He took the boy is, and helped nurse Zev back to health. Upon hearing what had occurred on the mainland, Greago welcomed Zev into his household, offering him a safe place to live if he so chose. For three years, Zev has lived with Greago. Greago has taught him some of the ways of the paladin’s on the aisle. he has helped hone Zev’s martial skills, but has been clear from the start that Zev is no Aasimar Paladin. He is a Half-Orc - and a Barbarian to the core.

Now - I helped him with the Aasimar race (He asked what a mysterious type of person would be that would be really good as a paladin?) as well as a solution to how he could swim with his Dad's Greatsword - but the rest of the details - that was all straight from him.

So I guess i need to learn how to DM - because after hearing that story - there is no excuse for keeping him from playing in a game... its just not going to be with any of the players at my campaign table (who could all make sailors blush).

So I'm curious - how old were you all when you started playing?

lytokk
2014-06-18, 09:16 AM
I joined the game a little late, age 19 or so, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have started earlier.

Something to think of, I don't think 7 years old is too young to start playing D&D. You just have to run a more rules light type of game.

The good thing is that at that age, D&D is a way to make math homework fun. Simple addition, subtraction and multiplication. Also, its a good way to insert some actual real world history into the game as another teaching utility. Since its all being presented as a story, your son will just absorb all of that information under the guise of having fun.

It may be necessary to follow rule of cool more than rules as written from time to time, when mechanically they could almost do something, if not for a rule here or there. It encourages problem solving skills.

Get his friends involved in the game, with parental permission of course, and you've got the makings of an incredibly fun and educational game.

atomicwaffle
2014-06-18, 09:31 AM
Congrats on the moment, man.

My brother (15 now) just started playing the D&D campaign i started mainly for him. I tested him first. I'd tell him of my adventures back when i was in a campaign for a year and a half. He kept interest and was serious. So i did a trial run, just me and him BSing through an unforgotten realms style game. He did pretty good too. So, i got a campaign together and a coupla players. He too loves the half-orc barbarian.

It's not exclusive to D&D. It's just plain awesome when a close friend/family member expresses an interest in any of your hobbies.

I started playing D&D at 15, but in reality i was playing RPGs much earlier then that. Legend of Zelda, Star Tropics, Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG. I also got to play HeroQuest at 11 with my friends (and we finished the campaign book).

If he can remember important plot points, that's more important then rolling dice and doing math. If you play your character well and have a good memory for flavour, other players will be happy to tell you what die you roll or what maths you do, especially if they know you're new and want to play.

It's all about getting the right group together.

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-18, 09:40 AM
Maybe start him off with something rules light that does not have math. Something where you count dice that roll a set number (like a nWoD mechanic) rather than a roll then add system like dnd. They are easier on young players as counting skills come online before math. Or maybe something like FUDGE without numbers at all (just counting)

Brookshw
2014-06-18, 09:53 AM
That is adorable, I'm happy and a bit jealous of you.

D&D is a game that encourages imagination and is great for kids. It's also great for teaching beginning math and gives instant gratification to the child.

People as young as 6, yes 6, can be taught the basics so your son is certainly capable I should imagine. It's been some years since I had students that young but their learning power is immense, don't underestimate them!

Obviously they'll need some help, but as a forum full of adults exemplifies, so does everyone else.

Trundlebug
2014-06-18, 10:05 AM
Start 'em young! I started in grade 6 (however old you are then) so no biggie.

BWR
2014-06-18, 10:08 AM
You can always try your son out on 3.5. Just tone down the options and do most of the work of character creation for him (suggestions on what feats are good, what skills are good, etc.) You can also try older editions of D&D or a retroclone (Rhynn will probably be along to tout ACKS and others shortly). It's still D&D, and a lot simpler to run and play. I wouldn't think that something like BECMI/RC, the edition I started on, would be too hard to understand at age 7 if you have a little help.
If you want to stick with the d20 system you might want to look at Pathfinder. Not to start an edition war, but it does a better job of making all classes playable at all levels with less work than 3.5. Of cou

Segev
2014-06-18, 10:23 AM
I'd start by just giving him a copy of the Core Rules and letting him read it. Let him build a character on his own, and help him if he has any questions. If he wants you to build it with him, sit with him and walk him through anything he seems to struggle with. But I suspect, with his precocious interest in it, he'll actually surprise you at how much of it he absorbs on his own.

Telonius
2014-06-18, 02:10 PM
Aww! :smallsmile:

My four-year-old daughter is going to play a special guest NPC in our next session. She's really looking forward to pretending to be a mermaid. (She's named herself "Ariel," of course).

atemu1234
2014-06-18, 02:15 PM
Congrats. And seven isn't too young to start playing- but it may be a little difficult for him to understand as well as a little difficult for you as DM. Quite honestly, you can play as soon as you can read. But just because you can doesn't make it simple- you as DM would probably have to make the missions simpler and more light-hearted than usual. Just a thought, and again, congrats.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-18, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine brought his daughter into a game, she was 7, she did great. She really got invested in her character. She wanted to skin the wolves to make herself a tent and harvest the bones and meat for materials... Her dad is a bit outdoorsy so to put that into context, honest survivalist tactic. I'm hoping my 2yo will take up the game at some point.

Blood~

dysprosium
2014-06-18, 03:20 PM
I started playing when I was 9 (waaaaay back in 1983) and I still have that character sheet.

My two daughters (ages 12 and 8) have been playing for about two and a half years now. My three year old son wants to play too (even if it is just with the miniatures). I'm sure he'll have his own character by the time he is 5 or 6.

Incidently my oldest daughter came with me to a Worldwide Gaming Day when she was 2. I had her roll my dice for me--haven't had so many crits since that day . . .

Alikat
2014-06-18, 05:43 PM
Aww that's so sweet. My mom played d&d when she was in highschool. I used to look at the pictures in her old first edition players handbook and the sketches she did of her character and character sheet when I was young. The closest I had to your situation was when we played everquest 1 together in the late 90's, pc's side by side on dialup.

Firechanter
2014-06-18, 06:55 PM
I played my first proper pen&paper game when I was 13 or so, but don't let that stop you. A few years earlier we played the Hero Quest boardgame, and at one point did some freeform roleplaying inspired by those "adventure game books", and we also fleshed out our characters there.

Besides, a while ago I read the heartwarming account of a dad who DMed for his ~5yo daughter, and it was pretty awesome. ^^ I remember that the girl played a Witch, and one of the spells she knew was Levitate, and iirc the quest was about stolen lemonade. They used a very simple system (basically coin flips emulating 25%, 50% and 75% success chance), but I was amazed to see how smartly that little girl used her spells.

And because I'm such a nice person, I just chased up the story on the net:
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/587342.html

So, going from that story, I'd say 7yo is not too young to start gaming. However, I would suggest not using 3.5, because it's pretty rules-heavy, but a simpler version of the game -- like an OD&D clone (Legends & Lairs) or AD&D / ACKS.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-18, 07:36 PM
First off, very good sir i congratulate you, secondly i think a 7 yearold could handle 3.5. I was playing Pokemon at that age and a few years later i was playing Third Age (pretty badly ill admit but enough to finish the game) As long as you dont go rule nuts (remember your first few games) youll be fine and you will have a lifelong barbarian in the family.

Snowbluff
2014-06-18, 07:51 PM
My first P&P game was 3.5. I was around 12-13, and I was playing a game with 2 of my bros, my mom, a dude, and that dude's sister.

We each had 2 characters, so it was kind of a mess.

I had an elven paladin with `18 cha and 3 Con. My little gnome cleric was hitting harder! XD