PDA

View Full Version : [PC Class] Lucky Peasant (Commoner Prestige Class) (PEACH)

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-23, 02:43 PM
Inspired by Fax Celestis' Complete Commoner, though this is completely tongue-in-cheek. I thought it'd be fun to take a Commoner and turn them into a semi-viable PC class. This is supposed to represent those hapless companions who somehow manage to contribute something to the battle despite being useless in theory.

Lucky Peasant

Prerequites: In order to become a Lucky Peasant, the character must be at least a 5th level Commoner and must have survived at least three fights of a CR greater than their Commoner level.

HD: d10

Skill Points: 6+Int

Table: The Lucky Peasant
{table]Level|BAB|Ref|Will|Fort|Abilities
1|+0|+2|+2|+2|Common Ground, "What's this shiny stuff!?"
2|+1|+3|+3|+3|"Let me help!" (3/day)
3|+2|+3|+3|+3|"Man, that's UGLY!"
4|+3|+4|+4|+4|"Good thing I ducked!" (+3)
5|+3|+4|+4|+4|"Let me help!" (4/day)
6|+4|+5|+5|+5|"I'm outta here!"
7|+5|+5|+5|+5|"Man, that's REALLY UGLY!"
8|+6|+6|+6|+6|"Let me help!" (5/day)
9|+6|+6|+6|+6|"Good thing I ducked!" (+6)
10|+7|+7|+7|+7|"I got that critter GOOD!"[/table]

The Lucky Peasant’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Lucky Peasant is proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon. He is not proficient with any other weapons, nor is he proficient with any type of armor or shields.

Common Ground: For the purpose of all of his Class Abilities, the Lucky Peasant may add any levels he has of Commoner to features which specify effects based on his Lucky Peasant level.

"What's this shiny stuff!?": The character gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 plus their Lucky Peasant level. Spells stopped in this manner leave the Luckly Peasant Dazzled for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level.

"Let me help!": Three times a day, the Lucky Peasant may add +1d6/level damage as a luck bonus to any one attack they make. On a successful hit, the force with which they've struck their foe or launched their arrow knocks them prone. At level 5 they can use this four times a day, and at level 8 they can use this five times a day.

"Man, that's UGLY!": Beginning at Level 3, the Lucky Peasant gains a (lack of) Insight bonus equal to his Lucky Peasant level for any saves made against fear effects.

"Good thing I ducked!": The Lucky Peasant gains a +3 Luck bonus to all saving throws, as well as gaining the effects of Evasion and Improved Evasion. At level 9, this improves to be a +6 Luck bonus and the Lucky Peasant no longer suffers any ill-effects for passed saving throws.

"I'm outta here!": Beginning at 6th level, the Lucky Peasant gains the ability to move really quickly when he needs to. For a number of rounds per day equal to his Lucky Peasant level, he may act as if under the effects of a Haste spell. He may use these rounds individually at any time.

"Man, that's REALLY UGLY!": Beginning at Level 7, the Lucky Peasant is immune to fear causing effects.

"I got that critter GOOD!": A number of times a day equal to half of his Lucky Peasant level (rounded down), the Lucky Peasant may turn a regular hit into an instantly-confirmed critical hit.

This is sort of based on a commoner NPC from a game I ran with a few friends. One of them decided to go the Fat Gregor route (http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/bipedpackanimals1.html) and pick up a young man to carry all his crap around for him, at least until he got his hands on some extra-dimensional storage space. Then the PCs went and gave him a spear.

Most of the quotes are taken from things the young lad said. "What's this Shiny stuff?" and "Good thing I ducked" both came from saving throws he made which should have killed him flat out. "Let me help!" and "I got that critter GOOD!" were inspired by him charging into combat with a dragon while wielding his master's old enchanted Scythe and confirming a critical which finished the beast off. "Man, that's UGLY!" came from an encounter with a demon where everyone failed their Fear checks... Except him. "I'm outta here!" evolved from discovering he was the only one hanging around.

Eventually the party pooled their resources and got the boy some equipment which boosted his defenses a bit, but he's probably the only NPC I've ever actively tried to kill at times and NOT killed due to obscenely good rolls made in his defense.

Kalessin
2007-02-23, 02:48 PM
Two words: Funny stuff.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-23, 02:54 PM
Now that's entertainment. Couple this with the Fortune's Friend and maybe the Luckstealer, and you have one strange (but funny) character.

Neek
2007-02-23, 02:56 PM
I lawled. Few actual presentation of character classes have actually got me to crack a smile, but this is just too unique (and honestly, a good) PrC build. It does help for creating a useful cohort who has nothing but Commoner levels.

Krellen
2007-02-23, 03:32 PM
I love it. The way you have quotes as the class abilities is great; reminds me of the "Complete Commoner" article Dragon ran a couple years ago.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-23, 10:56 PM
I'm glad this has gotten a positive response... It's sorta cheesy and I wasn't sure what sort of balance it has as a class. I figure that the 5 levels you've got to waste on a d4 HD, 1/2 BAB, all Poor Save class more than make up for the obscene SR and Saves this thing gets.

EvilElitest
2007-02-25, 12:29 AM
Funny i have to say
from,
EE

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-25, 07:02 PM
I think the ability to instantly critical 7 times a day is a tad overpowered, even with that in mind. I'd lower the number of uses. Otherwise it looks really good, though. I'll warn you, I am gonna call it the "Jar Jar class", though.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-25, 08:34 PM
It's up to 10 times a day, actually... But that's presuming that the final character (at level 20) is a Lucky Peasant 10/Commoner 10.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-25, 10:41 PM
I meant 7 times per day minimum.