PDA

View Full Version : Just another Thri-Kreen thread

Endril
2014-06-18, 12:10 AM
Greetings, fellow giants!

I'm working on making a character for a friend's game, and I'd really like to make a thri-kreen dervish. I think I would enjoy playing a thri-kreen, so I'm not looking to optimize by changing my race selection. I'd also like to be a multi-weapon fighter, and I think dervish is pretty optimal because of the ability to make a full attack while moving without provoking, and gain +1 to attack/damage every other level. My questions are below in the 3rd paragraph.

Before I ask, I should mention that the DM, while more focused on role-play than mechanics, wants there to be some balance. He's not likely to allow anything campaign-specific, dragon magazine, 3.0, etc. While a bug man with 4 arms dervishing around may seem OP on the surface, I'm hoping playing a sub-optimal race will take me out of the "tier 1" category while still allowing me to be effective at what I do. When answering my question, in addition to considering these limitations, please keep in mind I'm looking for rules that I can verify in the books. Any page numbers and books you can refer me to would be very helpful.

First, I want to play a non-psionic thri-kreen. I read about them in the Monster Manual II, and I found a 3.5 update for that book, so that should make them acceptable for his game. I guess my question there is what are the specific details of the race? The Monster Manual II did a pretty horrible job of spelling out their traits, while the expanded psionic handbook did an excellent job. After reading the update and comparing it to the EPH version, it looks like I can just drop the psionics and use a +1 level adjustment. Is that correct? Or are there other differences in the EPH version I'm missing? Second, I've ran into a problem when considering the use of power attack. I won't be able to power attack with scimitars as a dervish since it forces me to treat them as light weapons. So I've been considering just using my claws to power attack. They are technically a melee slashing weapon, so I can use weapon focus (claws) to enter the class, but to benefit from the +1 attack/damage every other level, it says I have to be "wielding" a slashing weapon. Have there been any rules printed by WotC anywhere that indicate if natural weapons are "wielded"? Third, I'm open to general recommendations about my build. We're starting at level 10 (I'll be CL 9), and I'm considering just dropping 4 levels in fighter. The dervish is already feat intensive, and I want power attack and multi weapon fighting, and possibly specialization/mastery later. I realize swashbuckler is a popular choice, but with my -2 int, along with wanting more str/dex, and the occasional immune creature, I don't know if it's best. I'd dump my int if it wasn't for combat expertise, and trading levels in swashbuckler for fighter could get me +4 damage in any situation with specialization/mastery. I also considered going barbarian/2 fighter for the extra movement and earlier entry to delver.

9 character levels:
2 racial hit dice
4 levels fighter (or 1 barbarian/ 2 fighter)
3 level dervish (or 4)

Thank you for your time!

torrasque666
2014-06-18, 12:16 AM
Just a small comment: A martial class will never be tier 1. Ever. They don't have the skill points to be useful outside of combat and half of them start to lose effectiveness after level 8 in combat. Highest I think a martial gets is tier 3. Because mundanes can't have nice things.

Endril
2014-06-18, 01:31 AM
I guess my most important question is can I use dervish ability with thri-kreen claws? Dervish dance adds attack/damage when you "wield" a slashing weapon.

TSED
2014-06-18, 09:10 AM
Natural attacks generally count as weapons, yes. It IS up to your DM if the claws count as being wielded or not, as there is no firm rule about that particular bit of wordplay.

You may also be interested in looking up the Binder from Tome of Magic. There is a vestige that essentially adds that "dervish" ability significantly faster (I think it takes 5 levels?), is all around a more flexible class, and so on.

2xMachina
2014-06-18, 09:48 AM
The vestige should be Paimon. Not sure on details.

TSED
2014-06-18, 12:01 PM
The vestige should be Paimon. Not sure on details.

Only thing I remember for sure is that it's way easier to qualify for (5 levels) and way easier to make the attacks valid.