PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding an existing character

torrasque666
2014-06-18, 12:26 AM
Given the current topic over in the Optimizing/Roleplaying thread, I was wondering:

Is there a way, shy of rebuilding quests, to rework a characters abilities and classes? Feats I know can be done by the DCS and skill/feats by Psionic Reformation, but what about classes and ability scores?

Forrestfire
2014-06-18, 12:43 AM
A thought bottle and lost levels technically lets you repick your class levels, iirc.

For new physical ability scores, Reincarnation could work, as could Astral Seed shenanigans. For mental ability scores, you can increase your Charisma permanently through the use of a Persisted Aspect of the Wolf and then using an Awaken spell. I'd suggest applying Rapid Spell and possible Maximize and Empower Spell to the Awaken, letting you toss out one per hour to add 4 points of Charisma per casting.

Your Intelligence will also get set to 27, and you'll get a large pile of Magical Beast hit dice... At which point you can break out the negative levels and return to your previous level. Time to break out the thought bottles* :smallamused:

*Don't do this, it's a good way to get smacked with a DMG

hakarb
2014-06-18, 12:45 AM
Given the current topic over in the Optimizing/Roleplaying thread, I was wondering:

Is there a way, shy of rebuilding quests, to rework a characters abilities and classes? Feats I know can be done by the DCS and skill/feats by Psionic Reformation, but what about classes and ability scores?

The best way, is to politely ask your DM and see how he wants to handle it. I'm always more than willing to allow players to make changes if it would improve their enjoyment of the game and not destroy the story. All DMs need to remember rule zero: fun is more important than the rules.

torrasque666
2014-06-18, 12:55 AM
How much would it cost to rework a character in this way(through purchasing spells, I dunno if there's anyone in my party who could do it themselves. Probably the wizard. All he does is shadow-mimic spells with Silent Image though. Damn shadowcraft mage handbook.) from level 13?

jiriku
2014-06-18, 12:58 AM
I have seen an argument that when you are permanently level-drained by negative levels and regain your class levels via the restoration spell, you are not obligated to choose the same class levels as you had before. This is based on a narrow reading of the spell, however, and many DMs wouldn't support it. Other than that, I can't think of any way you could do it. PH2 retraining rules allow it, but as you've already noted, that comes with a quest requirement.

Forrestfire
2014-06-18, 01:00 AM
I'd suggest asking the DM to just let you rebuild first, because all the methods I listed are excessively cheesy.

Barring that, a Thought Bottle is 20,000gp. Finding a wight to play patty-cake with could be easy or require a spell, and then you just combine the two to lose, then regain your exp.