PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A The Typhoon Katana

Afgncaap5
2014-06-18, 12:32 AM
Hey, all. I'm trying to figure out how a fellow player is doing something. Basically, he's playing a Samurai and using the Oriental Adventures rules to imbue his sword with magical effects, and giving it access to incredible spells. Case in point, somewhere between 5th and 8th level he gave it the ability to create a Monsoon or Typhoon (he said it was an 8th level spell) once a week.

Later, the DM we were playing under was working on rules and said that the way it was being done meant that it wasn't even a magical effect; it was extraordinary. So, once a week he can generate a crushing wave of water (more crushing if an actual body of water is nearby) by calling on his ancestors, and it works even if it's in a place where magic wouldn't ordinarily work.

It's a lot of fun flavorwise, albeit crazy overpowered in some of the situations where that or some of the other imbued spells have come into play. (I don't know all of them, but he's been known to use it to cast Whispering Wind). I'm just trying to figure out how all that works. His reasoning for how he's able to get an 8th level spell somewhere between 10 and 7 levels before a wizard gets spells of that level is that he can reduce caster level by limiting it down to just once a week (or that caster level doesn't apply to any effect he puts on the sword and what he's actually reducing is money.)

The closest thing I can see to a standard weapon ability that does this would be Spell Storing, but that doesn't quite work. Also, I suppose he's extrapolating the ability to apply any magical effect from the table that shows the money for +1 through +10 abilities, and treating these effects not as Weapon Qualities so much as Wondrous Item effects. I dunno. Any thoughts?

jiriku
2014-06-18, 12:51 AM
From the description you're giving, it sounds as the the samurai's player and the DM are just winging it and using the item creation guidelines in the back of the DMG to make stuff up as they go along. I'd say ask him to show you what he's doing, and see if you can get in on the custom magic item action as well.

SethoMarkus
2014-06-18, 01:00 AM
From the description you're giving, it sounds as the the samurai's player and the DM are just winging it and using the item creation guidelines in the back of the DMG to make stuff up as they go along. I'd say ask him to show you what he's doing, and see if you can get in on the custom magic item action as well.

I second this. It sounds like they based it off of the Samurai's "Ancestral Daisho" class feature, but that counts as magical and only treats the weapon as a magical weapon (the example they give is a +4 thundering katana at minimum character level 14). They probably enjoyed the fluff of this part of the class and either grossly misinterpreted the limits of its abilities, or are making stuff up as they go.