PDA

View Full Version : A Dragon Lance

Olethros
2007-02-23, 02:56 PM
Does any one know what, or atleast where/if, the mechanical statistics are for a Dragonlance is?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 03:09 PM
DragonLance Campaign setting pp. 114-115.

Gamebird
2007-02-23, 03:38 PM
Or optionally, take a lance, and advance the size to match that of the dragon being ridden.

clarkvalentine
2007-02-23, 03:40 PM
Or optionally, take a lance, and advance the size to match that of the dragon being ridden.

Give it the dragon bane quality, as well, and that's a serviceable dragonlance.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-23, 04:10 PM
Wikipedia saves the day!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance_%28weapon%29

Thomas
2007-02-23, 07:49 PM
Gamebird: That... wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, the specific rules are needed because these babies are better than a dragonbane lance. In old AD&D, they used to inflict the wielder's hit points in damage to a dragon, I think (or that's the mechanic the old gold-box AD&D Dragonlance CRPGs used); just as dragons' breath weapons inflicted the dragon's hit points in damage (save for half).

Er, gee, the Wikipedia article explains that. Don't I feel redundant, having written all that. Well, suffer it anyway.

MrNexx
2007-02-23, 09:00 PM
Why not, Thomas? Could that not be, as the poster asked for, a dragon lance, as opposed to the more conventional dragonlance?

Jack Mann
2007-02-23, 10:31 PM
If it's sized up to the dragon, why does it need a rider? It's got itself a nice lance.

Thomas
2007-02-23, 11:17 PM
MrNexx: Well, considering the body of the text had it spelled "dragonlance," and it's the more likely option...

Besides, "of the dragon being ridden" ? Why is there a rider if the dragon's using the lance, and no rider was implied prior?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-24, 12:38 AM
Personally, I prefer having greatswords and full plate armor equipped on my dragons.

And riding the Tarrasque, if I can manage it.

MrNexx
2007-02-24, 01:53 AM
OP didn't say it was for a rider.

starwoof
2007-02-24, 02:05 AM
Dragonlances are enormous. I believe they use the dragons size for damage (because they are attached the saddle) but require a rider to aim them properly. But don't trust that, I'm just basing that off the books rather than campaign setting.

cupkeyk
2007-02-24, 02:54 AM
WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Aren't we talking about dragonlances? From the Dragonlance Campaign setting? Like the one Laurana used against Skie (which is a footman's lance, not a rider's, but there are rider versions of Dragonlances). Why do I get this idea people are talking about dragons wielding lances? Dragonlances are lances for killing dragons. o_0

starwoof
2007-02-24, 03:48 AM
WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Aren't we talking about dragonlances? From the Dragonlance Campaign setting? Like the one Laurana used against Skie (which is a footman's lance, not a rider's, but there are rider versions of Dragonlances). Why do I get this idea people are talking about dragons wielding lances? Dragonlances are lances for killing dragons. o_0
Im talking about dragonlances, used by riders to kill dragons, I figured everyone else was too, except for the people who were confused...

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-24, 03:54 AM
Not everyone is familiar with the Dragonlance series. Fortunately, the wiki has already been linked, giving the appropriate stats for the weapons.

starwoof
2007-02-24, 03:57 AM
Not everyone is familiar with the Dragonlance series.

This sentence makes no sense to me. Individually the words have meaning but Ive never seen them strung together like that...

cupkeyk
2007-02-24, 04:45 AM
This sentence makes no sense to me. Individually the words have meaning but Ive never seen them strung together like that...

I always thought that The Companions trilogy is required reading for any gamer.

Fottman lances are technically shortspears, right?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 05:01 AM
In 3.5 they removed the distinction between Footman's lances and ordinary (rider) lances.

They have Lesser, Greater and some unique lances.

Thomas
2007-02-24, 10:16 AM
Fottman lances are technically shortspears, right?

Nope, they're both lances.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-24, 11:46 AM
Well, I was just being my usual smart-alec self and pretending that he meant equipping a dragon with a lance (which is a pretty funny mental image. Chaaaaaaaarge!). I read one of the original Dragonlance trilogy and some of the second before becoming bored with it, though I've learned from past experience that explaining why I got bored with it is cause for a riot.

BlueWizard
2007-02-24, 01:50 PM
I have the old version. I liked it as a DM, but the 1st ed dragonlance would do hundreds of points of damage nowadays!

Thomas
2007-02-24, 06:32 PM
Yeah. Con damage is a pretty reasonable alternative (although it does mean they're not that much use against dracoliches, but I guess Krynn has none of those).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 06:47 PM
Krynn has a few but they are very rare.

I think some were created by the remains of dead Dragons by Chaos.

Thomas
2007-02-24, 07:31 PM
I don't understand what you're talking about.

What?

There was no Second Cataclysm. There's no "Fifth Age." Go away.

Matthew
2007-02-24, 07:34 PM
I share your confusion.

Khantalas
2007-02-24, 07:35 PM
I don't understand what you're talking about.

What?

There was no Second Cataclysm. There's no "Fifth Age." Go away.

Right. There was also no second generation heroes. Caramon, Tika, Tanis, Goldmoon, those guys are all barren.

You make my brain hurt.

JadedDM
2007-02-25, 02:28 AM
Right. There was also no second generation heroes. Caramon, Tika, Tanis, Goldmoon, those guys are all barren.

Oh, and they're all still alive and never died, right? Just like Elminster and Drizzt?

I think I'm getting the hang of this game.

Arang
2007-02-25, 07:31 AM
Yep, and Skie was just this normal dragon. That didn't do anything unusual.

Leon
2007-02-25, 08:14 AM
4 Dragons to a lance, 3 lances to a Company

Rigeld2
2007-02-25, 09:51 AM
Totally wrong game dude.

Leon
2007-02-25, 10:02 AM
Totally wrong game dude.

And...?

Just played a massive game today for our BM's last day

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-25, 10:07 AM
He just doesn't get it. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about the game. It's always about the game.

I'm winning, though, just so you know. Because I made a rhyme while cooking with thyme.

MrNexx
2007-02-25, 08:15 PM
Three lances for the elven kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarves in their halls of stone
Nine for mortal men, doomed to die
and one for the Dark Queen on her Dark Throne
In the Lands of Neraka Where the Dragons Lie
One Lance to Rule them all
One Lance to Bind them
One Lance to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
In the Land of Neraka where the Dragons lie...

Or is that the wrong one? :smallbiggrin:

Gamebird
2007-02-26, 11:44 AM
Types of dragon lances:

1. Dragonlance, from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. I've not read the books, nor the campaign setting. Check the wiki.

2. A lance one size greater than the dragon, to be used when the dragon is riding a mount, or by the (dismounted) dragon as a two handed weapon.

3. A lance of equal size to the dragon, to be used by the dragon's rider.

A lance used by a rider does double damage on a successful charge attack.

As for what sort of creatures a dragon could "ride" - I think that's best left up to the imagination and the DM.

MrNexx
2007-02-26, 03:50 PM
As for what sort of creatures a dragon could "ride" - I think that's best left up to the imagination and the DM.

A force dragon of one size larger? :smalltongue: