PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Telepathy

weckar
2014-06-18, 03:38 AM
1. Is there a way to get telepathy in PF?
2. What is the easiest (quickest) way to do so?
2b. Preferably with the least total investment in magic?

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 04:37 AM
Well, there's this spell that would do it

Telepathic Bond

School divination; Level sorcerer/wizard 5

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S, M (two eggshells from two different creatures)

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Targets you plus one willing creature per three levels, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

Duration 10 min./level (D)

Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You forge a telepathic bond among yourself and a number of willing creatures, each of which must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher. Each creature included in the link is linked to all the others. The creatures can communicate telepathically through the bond regardless of language. No special power or influence is established as a result of the bond. Once the bond is formed, it works over any distance (although not from one plane to another).

If desired, you may leave yourself out of the telepathic bond forged. This decision must be made at the time of casting.

Telepathic bond can be made permanent with a permanency spell, though it only bonds two creatures per casting of permanency.

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 04:39 AM
or this item:

Helm of Telepathy

Aura faint divination and enchantment; CL 5th
Slot head; Price 27,000 gp; Weight 3 lbs.
DESCRIPTION

This pale metal or ivory helm covers much of the head when worn.

The wearer can use detect thoughts at will. Furthermore, he can send a telepathic message to anyone whose surface thoughts he is reading (allowing two-way communication). Once per day, the wearer of the helm can implant a suggestion (as the spell, Will DC 14 negates) along with his telepathic message.
Construction Requirements

Craft Wondrous Item, detect thoughts, suggestion; Cost 13,500 gp

There is also this bloodline ability if you want to be Aquaman:

Aquatic Telepathy (Su): At 9th level, you gain telepathy (100 feet) and can communicate with creatures with a swim speed or the aquatic or water types regardless of intelligence. You may cast suggestion on such creatures a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier. This ability is telepathic and does not require audible or visual components. At 15th level, once per day you can telepathically call and request a service from an aquatic, water, or swimming creature as if using demand or greater planar ally.

Crake
2014-06-18, 05:17 AM
if 3.5 conversions are allowed, magic of incarnum can get you telepathy with 2 feats by level 6, and mind bender can be taken for a single level dip to get you telepathy, also at level 6

Slithery D
2014-06-18, 07:16 AM
If you can use the third party psionics a couple of powers provide something similar in effect to monster telepathy power, and the Telepath discipline gets monster telepathy power straight up as a level 8 class power, but much better range and a small, situational extra buff.

weckar
2014-06-18, 11:50 AM
The goal was to get around the Oracle's Deafness curse in a stylish fashion. If that helps.

Barstro
2014-06-18, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure you can (using real world logic) get around deafness with telepathy. I believe telepathy is still using a language to speak, just using brainwaves instead of sound waves. Unless the deaf person has spent a lot of time learning how the language (I assume Common) "sounds", then that person couldn't really think it correctly.

Ignoring the above, my GM has allowed a Faerie Dragon familiar to be a telepathy hub for our group. Anyone can think to it, and it broadcasts that to everyone else, with possible inserted sarcasm.

Der_DWSage
2014-06-18, 12:23 PM
Oh, if you're wanting a classy way to do things...

Get yourself an item that grants constant Synsthete. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/synesthete) You can now tell what people are saying from how you feel soundwaves. It's Psionic, so may get nixed, but that's still classier (and less abusable) than classic telepathy.

weckar
2014-06-18, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure you can (using real world logic) get around deafness with telepathy. I believe telepathy is still using a language to speak, just using brainwaves instead of sound waves. Unless the deaf person has spent a lot of time learning how the language (I assume Common) "sounds", then that person couldn't really think it correctly.

Ignoring the above, my GM has allowed a Faerie Dragon familiar to be a telepathy hub for our group. Anyone can think to it, and it broadcasts that to everyone else, with possible inserted sarcasm.

That would only be a problem if the person were born deaf, which is luckily not specified in the class feature.