PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Anthropomorphic animals and Special Qualities

FishBonePendant
2014-06-18, 08:29 AM
I fell in love with Savage Species as soon as i read the section on anthropomorphic animals. I really only started reading because a deity in our current campaign created her own races or mortals to inhabit her flying island and I needed more clear rules on creating my own races, but Anthropomorphic animals sold it.

However I ran into a bit of trouble creating my first anthro NPC, the book states that the base creature retains all abilities it had before "except as noted here" (pg 215), pretty clear right? WRONG!

Under "Special qualities" it says that Anthropomorphic creatures have darkvision 60ft. Have. "Have".

The book doesn't say "in addition its other special qualities" or that the creature loses its special qualities. I'm a little confused as to whether "have" means darkvision and only darkvision or that they gain darkvision along with other special qualities.

Help! (Thanks for the help)

Wacky89
2014-06-18, 09:01 AM
you just have to look up the animal in the SRD, you gain all the special qualities of the animal including vision etc.

manyslayer
2014-06-18, 11:34 AM
Since anthropomorphic animals are monstrous humanoids, they have darkvision 60' as per the SRD. I think that was the intention of including it under special qualities. If you look at the example creature (the anthropomorphic donkey), it has darkvision, low-light vision, and scent. Low-light vision and scent are both qualities possessed by the base donkey.

FishBonePendant
2014-06-18, 12:48 PM
Wow, can't believe I didn't catch that part. Thanks man, you've saved my Anthro Rat Spellsword thief!