PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/PF Factotum Cohort

Spuddles
2014-06-18, 10:13 AM
Looking to make a skill based factotum cohort to my partyface/megolmaniac sorcerer. Something with a lot of knowledge checks, can pick locks, not really combat oriented.

Thinking kobold for the sleight build and some RP reasons, also kind of an easy to forget about little guy.

Basically a helpful sidekick that will round out the party´s abilities without overshadowing anyone´s schtick.

Recommendations on feats, traits, items?

Level of cohort will be 5.

Gildedragon
2014-06-18, 10:31 AM
I would recommend beguiler (race) if you can... If change isn't u what ya want:
FoI isn't something you'll want, not a big combatant I reckon. Give the kobold an item familiar (less broken in an NPCs hands) this will boost the skill checks heavily
Craft Wondrous Item
And that's it, the 2 feats

Spuddles
2014-06-18, 04:15 PM
Im trying to figure out a not so cheesy way to get all the skill points. Item familiar isnt really necessary if I go with int stacking dragon psychosis templates on the little guy.

Maybe I will avoid that, maybe not. I see the character as like the perfect henchman- give him an order and he executes it. And he doesnt talk. I like the prehensile tail idea. I am gonna try messing with the PF race builder and see what sort of 5-10 RP kobold I can build. Given how OP Aasimar, I think DM should be fine. Plus kobold somehow have a wealth of OP source material in 3.5. I wish orcs and other monstrous races were given that treatment. Even the orc racial weapon doesnt make sense- let's go with +4 str and TWF guys!! Orc shotput is pretty awesome, though.

As long as I am offtopic, if you are looking for a LA 0 giant, check out the back of either CPsi or XPH. It has the half giant racial class. You can take just one level in it and skip out on the LA level by never taking it. Note that you dont get powerful build, which is a shame. I like building low level adjustment pseudo-monsters with template stacking. Powerful build + invis at will + casting + giant = ogre mage.

[edit]
I found your handbook. Solid work, mate.

Gildedragon
2014-06-19, 12:15 AM
Im trying to figure out a not so cheesy way to get all the skill points. Item familiar isnt really necessary if I go with int stacking dragon psychosis templates on the little guy.

Maybe I will avoid that, maybe not. I see the character as like the perfect henchman- give him an order and he executes it. And he doesnt talk. I like the prehensile tail idea. I am gonna try messing with the PF race builder and see what sort of 5-10 RP kobold I can build. Given how OP Aasimar, I think DM should be fine. Plus kobold somehow have a wealth of OP source material in 3.5. I wish orcs and other monstrous races were given that treatment. Even the orc racial weapon doesnt make sense- let's go with +4 str and TWF guys!! Orc shotput is pretty awesome, though.

As long as I am offtopic, if you are looking for a LA 0 giant, check out the back of either CPsi or XPH. It has the half giant racial class. You can take just one level in it and skip out on the LA level by never taking it. Note that you dont get powerful build, which is a shame. I like building low level adjustment pseudo-monsters with template stacking. Powerful build + invis at will + casting + giant = ogre mage.

[edit]
I found your handbook. Solid work, mate.

a) thanks

b) well way I see double weapons is that they benefit from TWF AND THW bonuses,

c) point of item familiar is: character is mostly using it for skill points: note that kenku has greater aid another bonuses... If not that: skill focus something for exemplar qualification, so the bonuses are more steady.
Alchemy is a good choice.
Or get: Craft Magic Arms and Armor