PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Template Help

2014-06-18, 10:31 AM
I can't seem to find any indication of level adjustment in any 3.0 template. Am I missing something, or was LA something that came about in 3.5? If so, how should I factor it into ECL? Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Red Fel
2014-06-18, 12:24 PM
I can't seem to find any indication of level adjustment in any 3.0 template. Am I missing something, or was LA something that came about in 3.5? If so, how should I factor it into ECL? Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong templates? Some don't have an LA, but I remember quite a few in 3.0 that did. For example, the Feral Template in Savage Species has a listed +1 LA.

John Longarrow
2014-06-18, 12:29 PM
Most templates that do not include a LA are not intended for PCs. Examples would be 1/2 golem and Effigy creature. Both are (normally) non-playable.

atemu1234
2014-06-18, 12:34 PM
Most templates that do not include a LA are not intended for PCs. Examples would be 1/2 golem and Effigy creature. Both are (normally) non-playable.

Half Golem works for PCs. Granted, you're risking going completely homicidal, but apart from that, it's usable.

weckar
2014-06-18, 12:41 PM
Perhaps you're looking at the wrong templates? Some don't have an LA, but I remember quite a few in 3.0 that did. For example, the Feral Template in Savage Species has a listed +1 LA.
Back when LA tended to err on the naive side of things. Good times.

2014-06-18, 12:58 PM
I see. So when I'm allowed to use 3.0 in 3.5, this can get rather...broken. Interesting. I'll try not to abuse it, lest I get unpleasantly introduced to someone's boot.

John Longarrow
2014-06-18, 01:37 PM
Half Golem works for PCs. Granted, you're risking going completely homicidal, but apart from that, it's usable.

atemu1234,
The book I've got 1/2 Golem in shows "LA: -". No LA given. If this was something a character was intended to get, the bonuses for a fighter build waaaaaay exceed any negative. It would not be a LA +0. Trying to use the increase of CR wouldn't give a good number in this case. I've had to tell a player "No" to this one, and he looked through it and agreed that it isn't really a character template.

Urpriest
2014-06-18, 01:45 PM
Level adjustment was invented near the end of 3.0, in Savage Species. If you want to use 3.0 content, you have to use the updated versions, which may or may not state their level adjustment.

Edit: Though predecessors to the concept existed in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and other places.

atemu1234
2014-06-18, 01:47 PM
atemu1234,
The book I've got 1/2 Golem in shows "LA: -". No LA given. If this was something a character was intended to get, the bonuses for a fighter build waaaaaay exceed any negative. It would not be a LA +0. Trying to use the increase of CR wouldn't give a good number in this case. I've had to tell a player "No" to this one, and he looked through it and agreed that it isn't really a character template.

Monster Manual II seems to have LA unlisted. It implies that a failed will save results in that (just as it affects constitution on a failed will save) but there is, as far as I know, no other listing.

2014-06-18, 02:14 PM
The Paragon Template from the Epic Level Handbook doesn't appear to have a listed LA. Can someone please direct me to an update of this template, or to some text indicating LA? There's a similar issue for the Book of Vile Darkness; was LA just not thought of yet, or am I missing something big?

atemu1234
2014-06-18, 02:19 PM
The Paragon Template from the Epic Level Handbook doesn't appear to have a listed LA. Can someone please direct me to an update of this template, or to some text indicating LA? There's a similar issue for the Book of Vile Darkness; was LA just not thought of yet, or am I missing something big?

3e rarely listed LA. Savage Species gave a way to do it, unless I'm mistaken. You may want to look into that.

Urpriest
2014-06-18, 02:22 PM

All of the updates for 3.0 books that exist are in the 3.0-3.5 update booklet, so if you've downloaded that it's there. The only exception is Oriental Adventures, which was updated in an issue of Dragon Magazine (#318 I think).

Karnith
2014-06-18, 05:16 PM
The Paragon Template from the Epic Level Handbook doesn't appear to have a listed LA. Can someone please direct me to an update of this template, or to some text indicating LA?
Check Epic Level Handbook p. 156. The table on that page gives the ECL of a Paragon Mind Flayer (26), so you subtract the ECL of a Mind Flayer (15) to get the LA of the template (+11).

2014-06-18, 05:41 PM
Check Epic Level Handbook p. 156. The table on that page gives the ECL of a Paragon Mind Flayer (26), so you subtract the ECL of a Mind Flayer (15) to get the LA of the template (+11).

Dang. There goes my dream of easily broken Iron Chef builds.