PDA

View Full Version : Making a Chaotic Evil Human Bard whose theme song is "Behind Blue Eyes"

atemu1234
2014-06-18, 01:37 PM
I've decided to build a character fitting that description and try to optimize it. Any tips?

Vaz
2014-06-18, 03:51 PM
Make it the Limp Bizkit version. Just play it until your DM says "okay, you win, you win".

weckar
2014-06-18, 04:02 PM
...Can't tell if joke thread...

A.A.King
2014-06-18, 04:49 PM
I just checked it out and I find "Behind Blue Eyes" to be quite the depressing song so may I recommend the "Diresinger" PrC? Taking the first level of Diresinger PrC grants you the "Song of Sorrow", which should allow you to actually play this soul crushing piece of music at your table.

Peelee
2014-06-18, 05:18 PM
I just checked it out and I find "Behind Blue Eyes" to be quite the depressing song so may I recommend the "Diresinger" PrC? Taking the first level of Diresinger PrC grants you the "Song of Sorrow", which should allow you to actually play this soul crushing piece of music at your table.

"Behind Blue Eyes" is sung from the point of view of the main villain of Lifehouse, Jumbo. The lyrics are a first-person lament from Jumbo, who is always angry and full of angst because of all the pressure and temptation that surrounds him, and the song was intended to be his "theme song" had the project been successful.Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_Blue_Eyes#Lifehouse_story)
Also, Lifehouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifehouse_(rock_opera)#The_Lifehouse_concept).

"My love is vengeance
That's never free

No one knows what it's like
To feel these feelings
Like I do
And I blame you"

The song is pretty angry, to me. The music is sad, yeah, but lyrically he's more angsty and angry.

Also, was this really the first time you heard that song? Or are you just not all that big on The Who?

Phelix-Mu
2014-06-18, 05:18 PM
Should definitely mention the version of the song to which you are referring, and maybe link us to some lyrincs, for the sake of clarity and making the discussion open to more people (especially since this isn't really a pop-culture reference *wink*).

A.A.King
2014-06-18, 05:40 PM
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_Blue_Eyes#Lifehouse_story)
Also, Lifehouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifehouse_(rock_opera)#The_Lifehouse_concept).

"My love is vengeance
That's never free

No one knows what it's like
To feel these feelings
Like I do
And I blame you"

The song is pretty angry, to me. The music is sad, yeah, but lyrically he's more angsty and angry.

Also, was this really the first time you heard that song? Or are you just not all that big on The Who?

The Who is definitely not one of the bands in my musical library. It's not so much that I've actively decided to avoid their music, it just has never really come up. In fact the version of the song I listened to was the Limp Bizkit one. (It did vaguely sound familiar so I MIGHT have heard it before but I definitely didn't recognize the name) The one of the Who is less depressing but still way to sad for my taste. As to the lyrics, I find those irrelevant to the overall experience of the song. If a song sounds depressing, it is depressing no matter how cheerful the lyrics might be.

But I don't think anyone cares for my opinion on music so back to the bard.
Things to consider for Evil bards are: "Inspire Awe" (ACF that replaces Inspire Sourage), "Inspire Hatred" (ACF that replaces "Inspire Hatred") and feats like "Haunting Melody" and "Doomspeak"

Shining Wrath
2014-06-18, 05:57 PM
It depends on how Who-ish you want to make your character. The Who are widely regarded as being one of the all-time great live bands, and often ended concerts by destroying their instruments. I'll go so far as to recommend picking up some live Who. A Who-like bard needs to be the sort of person who wrecks a tavern while playing there, incites riots, and basically leaves a trail of people he owes money.

The song itself is a man who is feeling sorry for himself because no one likes him; the fact that he's pretty dangerous and mean shouldn't count, right? He still wants society to help him despite the fact that he won't do any good in return.

So, yeah, chaotic evil, high charisma, ready to pick a fight at a moment's notice, enormous capacity for alcohol.

Vaz
2014-06-18, 06:49 PM
Bacchae from Fiend Folio is perfect.

Be an Outsider (Tiefling, does it have to be human? Or Elf with Otherworldly) and Alter Self with Assume Supernatural Ability. Create your own ever growing mobs of Bacchae.

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 07:04 PM
You could play a Samsaran plagued by terrible memories of your past lives. You wield two katanas: one called Hope, the other called Sorrow.

Gwendol
2014-06-19, 02:42 AM
Shining Wrath has it spot on: Chaotic Evil, with an appetite for destruction and alcohol. I'd recommend getting into War Chanter eventually, as the songs seem appropriate for The Who (inspire recklessness, inspire awe)! I guess you could do warrior skald as well, but it's not quite the same.
Dirgesinger is a little too undead-focused for my taste.

EDIT: Stormsinger could be an interesting alternative.

atemu1234
2014-06-19, 08:44 PM
What's Stormsinger? What book, or combination of books, is it from?

Telonius
2014-06-19, 10:43 PM
I'd go with something like a Ronin theme. Not necessarily the PrC, but the general story: someone who's been disgraced and reviled, but is still kind of walking the line between good and evil. He's definitely got some demons in his past, and is trying to resist it; but keeps getting kind of pulled back the other way.

Sure you want it to be a Bard? Because an Azurin Umbral Disciple would fit nicely. Possibly a Shadow Sun Ninja?