PDA

View Full Version : What should be the spell level increase?

Baroknik
2014-06-18, 01:58 PM
A player suggested this as a custom metamagic and it seems fair to me, but I am unsure what the increase in spell slot level should be (also help with coming up with a name would be cool)

Whenever you cast a Line spell, you may have it turn at any angle up to 90 degrees in the same space that it hits a valid target for the spell. This effect can be used once for every valid target in the line. No single target may be affected by the spell more than once.

Segev
2014-06-18, 02:11 PM
+2, I'd say, because it's a powerful reshaping that is useful for multiple targets.

Saito Takuji
2014-06-18, 02:17 PM
yeah 2 seems good,, not quite as powerful as chainspell (which is +3)

Baroknik
2014-06-18, 02:22 PM
That's what I was thinking (wrt chainspell). My only question still is if it is worth it -- there really aren't that many line spells. Though shape spell + this seems pretty good (and at +3 how would that compare to chain spell?)

weckar
2014-06-18, 03:04 PM
I would re-word it, if I were you. Even though a target could only be affected once, it could still be used to hit and bounce off again.... Effectively, you could hit the whole field this way. Also, how does this metamagic affect total spell range?

Baroknik
2014-06-18, 03:30 PM
I would re-word it, if I were you. Even though a target could only be affected once, it could still be used to hit and bounce off again.... Effectively, you could hit the whole field this way. Also, how does this metamagic affect total spell range?

I am fine with it deflecting off the same character more than once, since it can only take 90 degree turns at most it would be a minimum of 3 turns in between for that effect. The idea is that the total range traveled by the line is the same as the range of the line (so 120ft (24 squares) traveled for Lightning Bolt, for example).

weckar
2014-06-18, 03:35 PM
I'm mostly just envisioning the "8 guards around the tank" scenario :P

AmberVael
2014-06-18, 04:05 PM
I'd disagree with the majority here and say it is only worth +1 at most. While being able to reshape an area on the fly is both cool and useful, the metamagic has severe limitations- first that it can only apply to line area spells (a very small and generally weak category of spells), second you can only put a 90 degree turn in the line, and third, that turn can only take place when it has struck a target. All these things added together mean that it is a metamagic that makes a moderately useful change on a very select category of spells. The feat cost alone is pretty significant, so frankly you might even get away with it not having any spell level adjustment (or simply not being metamagic- just a feat that gives you an option to modify line spells when you use them).

I'd take Sculpt Spell metamagic over this one every time, at least as a sorcerer. It's more broadly applicable and grants me far more options on how to change up my spell's area to be most optimal for the situation... and it's only +1 metamagic.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-18, 04:05 PM
Sculpt Spell in CA is only a +1, and I'd say this is no better due to how versatile that one is and how situational this one is.

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-18, 04:12 PM
I think +2 would be a little costly, it could maybe work as +1. Rather than compare it to chain spell though, try comparing it to sculpt spell which changes your shape to a cylinder (10-foot radius, 30 feet high), a 40-foot cone, four 10-foot cubes, a ball (20-foot-radius spread), or a 120-foot line.

Incidentally, I think I have a cool name for your metamagic. How about Snaking Spell?

edit:Swordsaged

Spuddles
2014-06-18, 04:56 PM
I'd disagree with the majority here and say it is only worth +1 at most. While being able to reshape an area on the fly is both cool and useful, the metamagic has severe limitations- first that it can only apply to line area spells (a very small and generally weak category of spells), second you can only put a 90 degree turn in the line, and third, that turn can only take place when it has struck a target. All these things added together mean that it is a metamagic that makes a moderately useful change on a very select category of spells. The feat cost alone is pretty significant, so frankly you might even get away with it not having any spell level adjustment (or simply not being metamagic- just a feat that gives you an option to modify line spells when you use them).

I'd take Sculpt Spell metamagic over this one every time, at least as a sorcerer. It's more broadly applicable and grants me far more options on how to change up my spell's area to be most optimal for the situation... and it's only +1 metamagic.

Same.

Honestly, Id price it at LA +0. Its cool, but how many worthwhile line spells are there? They are almost all blasty evocations or the occasional Conjuration.

torrasque666
2014-06-18, 05:03 PM
I'd disagree with the majority here and say it is only worth +1 at most. While being able to reshape an area on the fly is both cool and useful, the metamagic has severe limitations- first that it can only apply to line area spells (a very small and generally weak category of spells), second you can only put a 90 degree turn in the line, and third, that turn can only take place when it has struck a target.

I'd like to note that it's UP​ to 90 degrees.

Zanos
2014-06-18, 05:07 PM
Keeping in mind that metamagics still cost a feat slot, I'd call this one +0, or +1 if you don't like free metamagics. It's not nearly as good as sculpt spell, which is +1, and other range/area alteration metamagics tend to be +1.