PDA

View Full Version : Magica/ science RPG --steampunk I guess?

draken50
2014-06-18, 02:48 PM
I guess steam-punk is the closes-est to what I'm looking for, but I figure I'd try to be a tad vaguer.

I'm basically looking for an RPG that could be in line with Arcanum... without the magic.

I really love the idea of faux-science. Acid that can melt windows and doors, electromagnets that can deflect bullets. Snake oils that actually do what they claim, and I'd like to run an rpg in that vein. Of guns and grenades and tonics that make your smarter or stronger, or weird little mechanical devices can be used for all manner of hilarity.

Steampunk seems to fit, but I figure if there's rules based around mad scientists or the like that could be in line too.

Heck, maybe even shadownrun could be adapted to fit more of an industrial revolution theme with the system being a guide. I don't know.

Anybody have any experience or recommendations? Any systems that fit kind of that sort of theme? I know a lot of people have been wanting an Arcanum RPG for a long time, so I kind of doubt it, but I figured I'd check.

LibraryOgre
2014-06-18, 03:24 PM
Maybe Deadlands, but leave out Hucksters, Shamans and the Blessed? Girl Genius was supposed to come out with a game, but I don't know if it has.

Erasmas
2014-06-18, 04:42 PM
I am currently working on a very similar setting for my RL gaming group, only it is going to be set in Victorian London and steamtech is somewhat in its infancy.

I found a d20 book put out by a third party (Green Ronin, I think) called Steam & Sorcery that might have some things to help you along the way. In the end, I opted for custom making classes and such myself, so that it would fit my particular needs.

Best of luck!

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-18, 06:56 PM
Deadlands has steampunk-y mad scientists, although there's perhaps a bit more emphasis on 'mad' than you'd like.

Mutants and Masterminds would be amazing for a game like that-- while it's written as superheroes, it takes literally no effort to turn everything into mad-science gadgets and impossible surgeries. It'll also sidestep the issue of "there's one mad scientist "class" that all the players have to use" that you'd run into with something like Deadlands. Third edition has a free SRD (www.d20herosrd.com), too.