PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me balance my party!

IslandDog
2014-06-18, 02:49 PM
Hey Playgrounders,
I'm playing in a 3.5 campaign in which 2/5 characters have just recently been killed, and the DM is switching.
So this seems like a perfect opportunity to rebalance the party.

The party consists of (all level 3):
A human archivist (me)
A human crusader
A human dragon shaman
A human factotum
A human wizard

Personally, I'm taking crafting feats to lower my effective tier and playing battlefield control, so that I'm supporting the party rather than overshadowing it. The wizard is, well, a wizard, so he's fine. The issue is that the factotum and dragon shaman aren't feeling so used - especially the dragon shaman, who still doesn't have a breath weapon. The crusader, in contrast, is using a spiked chain. That should tell you enough about his level of optimization.
So help me help the dragon shaman and factotum!

The dragon shaman has an 14 str, 10 dex, 18 con, 10 int, 8 wis, and 14 charisma. He took endurance and steadfast determination, and is due for another feat. He's using a morningstar.

The Factotum has 10 str, 14 dex, 12 con, 16 int, 12 wis, and 14 charisma. He's using a crossbow, and has Font of Inspiration and Point Blank Shot.

So, any ideas playgrounders? It's point buy, so stats can be reedited. Different weapons? Tactics? The third level feat?

One last thing, by the way: my character, who has craft wondrous item, has about 5000gp to spare (I stole a lot last session...), and I'm willing to use the majority of it to balance the party.

Thanks so much, let me know if you need any more details :).

Juntao112
2014-06-18, 02:54 PM
The dragon shaman has an 14 str, 10 dex, 18 con, 10 int, 8 wis, and 14 charisma. He took endurance and steadfast determination, and is due for another feat. He's using a morningstar.
I have a solution (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2).

Zombulian
2014-06-18, 03:04 PM
I have a solution (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2).

I second dis.

weckar
2014-06-18, 03:08 PM
Wait, if two of the characters just died, shouldn't their new characters have been made to conform to the optimization level of the rest of the party? At the most, this would leave one single oddball, not two...

IslandDog
2014-06-18, 03:22 PM

I second dis.

I was thinking this, honestly. How can I convince him to change (he really likes the concept of the Dragon shaman :p)?

Wait, if two of the characters just died, shouldn't their new characters have been made to conform to the optimization level of the rest of the party? At the most, this would leave one single oddball, not two...

Yeah... They died really quickly (another reason for re-optimization) but they really liked their characters and wanted to try again, and our DM let it slide. So they refluffed :). Let me make it clear - these players aren't unhappy, at all. But it would be more fun if they felt more useful :)

weckar
2014-06-18, 03:24 PM
If they aren't unhappy, they will find this forum on their own when they become unhappy. Don't try to shape other player's characters against their wishes.

IslandDog
2014-06-18, 03:27 PM
If they aren't unhappy, they will find this forum on their own when they become unhappy. Don't try to shape other player's characters against their wishes.

I suppose that's true. It's just that the Dragon Shaman is visibly bored and has been repeatedly wishing for a breath weapon, or something more to do in melee. But I guess you're right.

Bonzai
2014-06-18, 03:48 PM
Actually, the party seems pretty well rounded to me. It's up to the caster's to make sure that the rest of the party doesn't feel un-needed or useless, but I can certainly see roles for everyone. If you the Archavist focuses on counters and utility while the wizard focuses on battle field control (or vice versa), then the crusader will be free to tank, the factotum to skill monkey and handle the roguey bits, and the dragon shaman can be buffer/blaster/etc..

Dragon Shaman can be a bit of a slow burn, but I have found them to be surprisingly decent when they hit their stride. The good news is that once you level, he will get his breath weapon and things will liven up a little for him.

IslandDog
2014-06-18, 03:51 PM
Actually, the party seems pretty well rounded to me. It's up to the caster's to make sure that the rest of the party doesn't feel un-needed or useless, but I can certainly see roles for everyone. If you the Archavist focuses on counters and utility while the wizard focuses on battle field control (or vice versa), then the crusader will be free to tank, the factotum to skill monkey and handle the roguey bits, and the dragon shaman can be buffer/blaster/etc..

Dragon Shaman can be a bit of a slow burn, but I have found them to be surprisingly decent when they hit their stride. The good news is that once you level, he will get his breath weapon and things will liven up a little for him.

True, thank you! Perhaps it's just impatience :) I'll see what we can do about buffing him until next level (and even after).