PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary Guild Name

Snig
2014-06-18, 09:33 PM
I'm trying to come up with a good name for a mercenary company, and i'm drawing a blank. I was hoping some of you could help out? Here is a little info

- I really like names ending in "Company"
- This group hails from the North
- It's a smallish company of around 50 highly skilled mercenaries
- They are honorable
- This is for an Elder Scrolls Campaign, if any of you are familiar with the Ebonheart Pact, these mercenaries fight for them.

Yorrin
2014-06-18, 09:42 PM
From the north, eh?

Here's some ideas:

Timberwolf Company
Frostbite Company
"Any of the cities in Skyrim" Company (ie- Solitude Company or Dawnstar Company)
Talos Company

Crocodactyl
2014-06-18, 11:06 PM
Talos didn't exist during the time of the Ebonheart pact. Tiber Septim united the empire and became Talos at the end of the second era.

The races of members were not explicitly stated, but given their allegiance, I will assume that they are mostly Nord or Dunmer. I agree with Yorrin's suggestion to name them after their place of origin, but I would probably go with something a little more obscure than Solitude or Dawnstar. Perhaps something from the northern part of Arena's map? (Or ESO; I haven't played that, so I have no idea what towns are well known.)

I would suggest Blacklight, being a northern Dunmer town, near Skyrim, run by the honorable House Redoran, but that sounds way too close to the Blackwood Company, from Oblivion. Also in Morrowind, Kragenmoor would be good, since it's close to the Imperial border, ready to fight for the Pact, as would Firewatch or Necrom, if you want something more remote. In Skyrim, I like Stonehills, Kynesgrove, and Helgen as names, all of them having shown up in at least one game, but none being of any political importance by the third era.

If you aren't set on them being from Ebonheart Pact lands, just pick any name off the map from Daggerfall.

unwise
2014-06-19, 08:59 PM
What about naming them after a place that was wiped out by enemies? These guys remember and uphold the legacy and grudge. The fantasy equivlenat of Alamo Company. Some place where a massacre happened that the Ebonheart Pact will not forget. I am not familiar with Eldar Scrolls myself.

The Oathbound, Oathkeepers, The Bound, Pactkeepers, or something similar could fit.

Personally I just happen to like: The Sleepless Knights and The First and Last. Despite it being a real world merc company, I really like the name Sandline too.

Stubbazubba
2014-06-19, 09:48 PM
I don't know anything about ES, so I'm just going on what sounds cool:

The White Hand (Company, optional)
The Frozen Hand
The Ice Dale Company
The Winter Moon Company (Wintermoon?)
The White Company
The Snowscape Buccaneers/Avengers/similar
Also, the White Buccaneers/Avengers/similar
Winter's Hand
Winter's Brotherhood
The Winter Company

That's a good start.

StabbityRabbit
2014-06-20, 09:51 AM
The North Company is the name that jumps out at me. It's simple, to the point, and requires absolutely no imagination.:smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2014-07-05, 09:32 AM
Take the names of two of its co-founders, mash them together, and add "Company" at the end. Like Johnson & Dalmoth Security Company.

Take the name of the location it's based in (i.e. Townsville Security Company, or Townsville Armed Services Corporation).

To make it more corporate-seeming, take one of the above and just use the acronym. "Townsville Security Company" could become "TSC Group" or "TSC Solutions".

pwykersotz
2014-07-05, 09:34 AM
Take the names of two of its co-founders, mash them together, and add "Company" at the end. Like Johnson & Dalmoth Security Company.

Take the name of the location it's based in (i.e. Townsville Security Company, or Townsville Armed Services Corporation).

To make it more corporate-seeming, take one of the above and just use the acronym. "Townsville Security Company" could become "TSC Group" or "TSC Solutions".

TSC Solutions Employee Roster
Blossom: CEO
Bubbles: Public Relations
Buttercup: Enforcement
Professor Utonium: R&D

Callin
2014-07-05, 01:03 PM
The North Company is the name that jumps out at me. It's simple, to the point, and requires absolutely no imagination.:smalltongue:

I was thinking "Northern Company" and then I had the silly idea of "Brotherhood of the Northern Company" an offshoot or remnant company of said Northern Company.

StabbityRabbit
2014-07-05, 01:06 PM
I was thinking "Northern Company" and then I had the silly idea of "Brotherhood of the Northern Company" an offshoot or remnant company of said Northern Company.

No, North Company is better because it sounds like you're trying to say "Norse Company" but you have a lisp.:smallbiggrin:

Stubbazubba
2014-07-05, 11:30 PM
TSC Solutions Employee Roster
Blossom: CEO
Bubbles: Public Relations
Buttercup: Enforcement
Professor Utonium: R&D

The day is saved, thanks to... TSC Solutions!