PDA

View Full Version : Female dwarves [race variant]

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-23, 06:59 PM
I'm a little nervous about doing this - suggesting that there could be a gender divide in a PC race - but for a while I've been thinking about female dwarves in my campaign setting.

It bugs me a little to think that dwarven women are as hairy and muscular as their menfolk - "indistinguishable from dwarven men" said Tolkein, for one. There are lots of opinions about how female dwarves should be, and as the stereotypical and iconic literary dwarves are all male, I thought that perhaps there was room to explore what dwarven women are like...

Dwarf
Stats and rules presented in the PHB represent a male dwarf.

Female dwarf
Though males are often seen above ground, the less common female dwarf is rarely spotted outside of the depths of dwarven settlements. Male dwarves on average outnumber their womenfolk by three to one. Consequently, most dwarven cultures regard females as a precious commodity, to be protected and kept secret and hidden. Dwarven females are equally skilled at crafts. A conservative female dwarf is likely to remain in her clan community all her life, and to marry by arrangement of the clan elders. In some cultures it is normal for her to marry more than one male, in most cultures it is normal to bare children by different males - only in the most puritanical dwarven cultures are females expected to be exclusively bound to one male. Many dwarven women are exceptionally skilled at advising the male clan leaders, becoming - from behind the throne - the true powers in the clan. In some dwarven cultures, female rulership is the norm, with all males serving the will of a queen and her female relatives.
Female dwarven adventurers are often rebels against what they see as the stifling oppression of male-dominated dwarven culture. Lacking their male counterparts' physical strength, they most often turn to cunning fighting. Common classes among dwarven women are Bard, Monk, Rogue, Ranger.

Physical Description: Female dwarves are considerably slighter and marginally shorter than the males. They have little to no facial hair, and fine body hair, much like a human. Skin tones range from deep brown to a light tan, and hair colour is generally black, grey, red or brown.
Base height: 3'2", Height modifier: +2d4, Base weight: 50lb, Weight modifier: x(2d4)

Alignment: Any - but dwarves are usually lawful, and tend towards good. However, adventuring female dwarves tend to be neutral or chaotic, as most female dwarves that leave the community are rebels against their male-centred socities.

• +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma.
• Small: As a Small creature, a female dwarf gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet.
• Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if she were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing her approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal
+2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks
+2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks
• Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass dwarf ’s rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing

Please Evaluate And Criticize Helpfully!

Solaris
2007-02-23, 07:21 PM
Why would they have the bonuses from the training dwarves receive if they're not supposed to be fighters?
Matter of fact, why would anybody want to play a male dwarf if they could just get the increased bonuses for being a female dwarf without giving up anything but some carry capacity, stability, and land speed?

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-23, 07:58 PM
Why would they have the bonuses from the training dwarves receive if they're not supposed to be fighters?
Matter of fact, why would anybody want to play a male dwarf if they could just get the increased bonuses for being a female dwarf without giving up anything but some carry capacity, stability, and land speed?

Yeah, I agree that this variant should not get the weapon familiarity, nor the bonuses against giants.

But still I think that Pratchett nailed the female dwarf in the Discworld series, particularly in The Fifth Elephant.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-24, 12:05 AM
Small-sized and a racial Dexterity bonus?

Must resist...genetics argument. For the sake....of the plan.:nale:

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-24, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I agree that this variant should not get the weapon familiarity, nor the bonuses against giants.

But still I think that Pratchett nailed the female dwarf in the Discworld series, particularly in The Fifth Elephant.

I'll happily throw out the weapon familiarity and the bonuses against giants. Look, there, it's done.

Eigth Seraph - what is your genetics argument? I want to hear it.

Peregrine
2007-02-24, 12:01 PM
...a gender divide in a PC race...

Pun intended?

There are lots of opinions about how female dwarves should be, and as the stereotypical and iconic literary dwarves are all male, I thought that perhaps there was room to explore what dwarven women are like...

Gnomes? :smalltongue: No, just consider it for a minute, if the two races were the two dimorphous halves of a species...

In all seriousness, I'd like to see a bit more to distinguish them. But that's really just because I think it'd be more interesting. Being mostly the same, as you have them, is more realistic. :smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2007-02-24, 12:18 PM
As you're designing the variant in such a way that they are, by definition, female, you might want to consider replacing all the male pronouns with their fremale counterparts.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-24, 12:39 PM
Eigth Seraph - what is your genetics argument? I want to hear it.Well, using us humans as a template for all humanoid creatures, there are certain things which are usually kept in common. Dwarves, to me, are very reminiscent of the Inuits up north, with the stockyness and bulkiness and all. This is a genetic trait that is shared not only by the men with their testosterone levels, but by the women as well. They are also as bulky and/or fatty as the men, because that is what the environment demands of them. My guess is that you're reasoning for making the female dwarves small-sized is that dwarves would be small if they weren't so inherently muscular and heavy. This trait would likewise be passed among the females, unless they have a complete testosterone deficiency and are unable to build muscle differently. However, that would require a genetic isolation of sorts that would have had to have been a single dwarvish family sent into exile to become the Dwarven race. But I ramble, and this is not a world where the science of genetics should be allowed to interfere with coolness. Do what you wish.

Peregrine
2007-02-24, 12:58 PM
Just to split hairs, your argument really has little to do with genetics as a whole, and a lot to do with how it works in humans. Sexual dimorphism is big among all kinds of (real) nonhuman species.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-24, 02:30 PM
As you're designing the variant in such a way that they are, by definition, female, you might want to consider replacing all the male pronouns with their fremale counterparts.

Hmmm..? *checks* Argh! Oops!

I missed a couple of pronouns in the copy/pasted section, didn't I? Sorry. Fixed it now.

By the way, what is "fremale"..? :smallwink:

Eighth Seraph and Peregrine: The dimorphism I'm proposing isn't like human dimorphic traits, which are slight, it's more like those of other mammals. I envisage the "stocky stong male dwarf" gene to be passively carried by the female dwarf. Just because the female is smaller doesn't mean she'll have smaller children - she's carrying the genetics for big burly bloke dwarves without showing it, just the way my mum carried the genes for my beard and junk without showing it.
One can find plenty of size, anatomic and behavioural differences as examples in other animals. Even among primates we can see huge differences between sexes - Orangutang males are roughly twice the size of females. I'm also proposing that sex prevelance in the species heavily favours the male, with females being rare, even within communities. I'd like to suggest that the genetic difference between dwarves and humans is responsible for that gender ratio issue, and the dimorphism I've detailed.

Although, I sort of like the high fantasy concept Peregrine posted: Female Dwarves are Gnomes. As great as that would be for many a campaign setting, I think I'll stick with my plan...

Thanks for the feedback!

Any other faults / criticisms / ideas?

Jack_Simth
2007-02-24, 02:54 PM
Hmmm..? *checks* Argh! Oops!

I missed a couple of pronouns in the copy/pasted section, didn't I? Sorry. Fixed it now.

By the way, what is "fremale"..? :smallwink:

Ay Kant Spel.

onasuma
2007-02-25, 01:34 PM
But why?
-this be a filler-

Roderick_BR
2007-02-25, 01:48 PM
It's an interesting take on racial rules. Seems like a lot of it are culture variants, as they have different skills and favored class. It's just weird how they are so physically different. Small size, Dex and Str modifier? How?

Unless you are using dwarves from Lineage 2, where all characters are gekiga based (that "realistic" anime style, as in King of Fighters), but the male dwarves is completely made in an European style, and the female dwarves looks like anime halflings.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-02-25, 02:41 PM
It's an interesting take on racial rules. Seems like a lot of it are culture variants, as they have different skills and favored class. It's just weird how they are so physically different. Small size, Dex and Str modifier? How?

Unless you are using dwarves from Lineage 2, where all characters are gekiga based (that "realistic" anime style, as in King of Fighters), but the male dwarves is completely made in an European style, and the female dwarves looks like anime halflings.

Um, sort of...
I've never seen Lineage 2, so I'm just making this up, not copying: but it sounds like the same sort of idea.

Onasuma asked "Why?"
well - Why not? I just thought that it might be interesting to have vastly different sexes in a race. There are plenty of animals that have vast differences between the genders. I thought that there's little reason for our playable races to have the same sexual dynamics as humans at all - we could even have races that are both sexes at once, or have more than two sexes, or are asexual. Why not have dimorphic races?

Also, I like the idea that a great deal of cliches about dwarven culture (they're materialistic, jealous, arrogant, grim, excessively macho, etc) stem from the fact that a male's chance of getting a mate is somewhat reduced, and that females can affored to be excessively choosy about their menfolk.

Of course, this isn't a homebrew rule for everyone's campaign, more of an exercise to see if it can be done in a fair and balanced way.

Eldan
2007-02-25, 03:06 PM
This is an interesting thought. It reminds me of the dwarves of warhammer, if you know them. They have about the same stuff about their females being rare and almost never showing up.
Just one thought: I would make their favoured class wizard or cleric, since they most of them, during their childhood, would be trained to be leaders later, not rogues. The rogue part is just because many adventuring dwarven females take that class. I think favoured class has something to do with both natural talent and upbringing.