PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Rule Maker: A True Controller(3.5 Base Class PEACH)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-18, 10:59 PM
The Tile Master

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100118001444/disgaea/en/images/5/50/Dis2-geomancer.jpg
Watch your step, you might lose your life.
P.S. (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130927194653/lesmiserables/images/d/db/You-shall-not-pass1.jpg)

Alignment
Any

Hit Die
d4.

Class Skills
The Tile Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise(Int) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int) Use Magic Device(Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) Χ4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

The Tile Master
Active Tiles

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Least
Lesser
Common
Greater
Grand

1st
Aura of Tiles, Least Tiles, Knowledge of Tiles
—
—
—
—

2nd

—
—
—
—

3rd

—
—
—
—

4th

—
—
—
—

5th
Lesser Tiles
—
—
—

6th

—
—
—

7th

—
—
—

8th

—
—
—

9th

—
—
—

10th
Common Tiles
—
—

11th

—
—

12th
6/1

—
—

13th
6/1

—
—

14th
7/2

—
—

15th
7/2
Greater Tiles
—

16th
8/3

—

17th
8/3

—

18th
9/4

—

19th
9/4

—

20th
10/5
Grand Tiles, Unbreakable Tile

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Tile Masters are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Aura of Tiles (Su)
A 1st level Tile Master has an Aura with a radius of 10 ft. x Wis mod (min 1) x level.

Tiles (Su)
A Tile Master can create an effect that affects a number of 5’ squares, called tiles, equal to his Wisdom modifier + his Tile Master level within his Aura of Tiles. These squares must be contiguous. If any two opposing Tiles attempt to control the same square they negate each others effects, but the square is still considered active for contiguity.
Creating a Tile is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
A Tile Master can create any number of Tiles per day.
A Tile Master can only have a certain number of Tiles active at a time. The number of Tiles he can have active is shown on Table: Active Tiles. In addition he gains a number of active Tiles equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Knowledge of Tiles (Su)
All Tiles are obviously visible as a Tile as the have glowing runes all over their surface, but a creature may not discern what each does, if it is not obvious, unless he has the Feat Knowledge of Tiles or has spell Discern Tiles placed on him.

Discern Tiles
Divination
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range Touch
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes
Touched creature innately knows what Effect a given Tile(that it can see) has placed upon it.

Knowledge of Tiles
Knowledge of Tiles [General]
Benefits: You innately know what effect a given Tile(that you can see) has placed upon it.
Special: A Tile Master has this automatically.

Ring Of Discern Tiles
Wearer is continually under the effect of Discern Tiles.
Faint transmutatation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, Discern Tiles; Price 500 gp.

Punishment (Su)
A creature may attempt to dispel a Tile by making a saving throw according to the Tile. The DC for the saving throw is (10+(Cha x Tile level)). The Punishment for attempting to dispel (regardless of success) is "Take damage equal to (1d6 + the Tile Master's Charisma modifier per level)".

Burning Tile
Effect: This Tile is on fire and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Fire damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this must make a reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be set on fire and take 1d4 fire damage per round for 1d4 rounds (This effect is not cumulative).
Dispel: Fort

Freezing Tile
Effect: This Tile is freezing dealing 1d6/Charisma modifier Cold damage and to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or have their speed decreased by 1/2 for 1d4 turns (This effect is not cumulative)

Shocking Tile
Effect: This Tile emits an electric shock after being touched and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Electricity damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be forced to drop what ever they are holding, and take a -2 to AC and lose its Dexterity bonus to AC.

Acidic Tile
Effect: This Tile is covered in acid fog and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Acid damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds by tears. (This effect is not cumulative)

Loud Tile
Effect: This Tile emits a sonic vibration after being touched and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Sonic damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be deafened for 1d4 rounds. (This effect is not cumulative)

Light
Effect This Tile gives off light in a 10' ft radius as a torch.
Dispel Will

Slippery
Effect: Any creature attempting to move through this Tile must make a balance check (dc 10 +1 per 5 ft moved), or fall over
Dispel: Reflex

Darkness
Effect: This Tile gives off Darkness in a 5 ft radius.
Dispel: Will

Obscuring mist
Effect: This Tile is under the effect of obscuring mist

Illusory Wall
Effect: This Tile has an opaque 10 ft. illusion of a wall on it.

Vector Tile
Effect: Any creature on the Tile is move 5 ft in one direction (determined at creation), if the creature is unwilling to move it may make a reflex save DC (10 +1/2 the Tile Masters level + the Tile Masters Charisma Modifier) to stand still.
Dispel: Reflex

Protection from Chaos
Effect: Chaotic creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Evil
Effect: Evil creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Good
Effect: Lawful creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Law
Effect: Lawful creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Expeditious Retreat
Effect: Movement through this Tile is free.

Protection from Arrows
Effect: Projectiles cannot pass through this tile

Blur
Effect: Creatures on this tile gain a 20% concealment

Owl’s Wisdom
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Wisdom while on the Tile.
Punishment: -4 to the corresponding stat for 3 rounds

Bear’s Endurance
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution while on the Tile.

Bull’s Strength
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength while on the Tile.

Cat’s Grace
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity while on the Tile.
Dispel:Fort

Fox’s Cunning
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence while on the Tile.

Eagle’s Splendor
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma while on the Tile.

Dimensional Lock
Effect: Extra Dimensional travel through the tile is blocked as per the spell Dimensional Lock.

Displacement
Effect: Creatures on this Tile gain a 50% concealment

Mirror Image
Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile creates an illusory duplicate on all other tiles of the same type.

Resist energy
Effect: any creature on the tile gains energy resistance 20 to a single element while on the tile

Dimensional Lock
Effect: Extra Dimensional travel through the Tile is blocked as per the spell Dimensional Lock.

Wall of Force
Effect: This Tile is under the effect of Wall of force
Dispel: fort

Anti-Magic Field
Effect: This Tile give off the effect of an Anti-Magic Field.

Invisibility
Effect: All creatures on this Tile are invisible.

Protection from Energy
Effect: immunity to specific energy
Punishment: Weakness to chosen energy for 3 rounds

Unbreakable Tile (Ex)
At 20th level a Tile Master chooses a single Tile to be his Unbreakable Tile. This Tile's level is equal to his class level, and if it is ever dispelled the dispeller must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Tile level + Charisma modifier) or die.

Enlarge Tile [MetaTile]
Benefit
You may make a single tile effect 4 times as many 5' squares. This counts as 2 tiles active.

Extend Tile [MetaTile]
Benefit
You may make a single Tile's effect last for a number of rounds (1+cha mod) after being stepped off of. This counts as 2 tiles active

Twin Tile [MetaTile]
Benefit
You may select a single tile and apply 2 meta tile feats to it. This counts as 4 tiles active.

Web of Tiles[General]
Prerequisite
Ability to make Tiles.
Benefit
Your Tiles may extend outside your aura.
Special
Every Tile you make must begin and end next to you or another tile.
Normal
Tiles you make need not be adjacent to one another.

Immunity to Tiles[General]
Prerequisite
Ability to make Tiles.
Benefit
You cannot be affected by any Tile you make (Regardless of its ability)

Lure Tile[MetaTile]
Prerequisite
Ability to make Tiles.
Benefit
Each round, any enemy who sees this tile must make a Will Save (DC 10 + Tile Master Level + Charisma Modifier) or at least make one move action to move towards this. Once they touch the tile, they are immune from the effect for (30 - Effective Tile Master Level) rounds.

Effects of Tiles
Now this is where it is truly WIP.
Sleepy
Heroism
Greater Heroism

qazzquimby
2014-06-19, 12:35 AM
Hopefully some of this is helpful:

Looking at the effects of rules, I'm not sure how some of them make sense.
All are blind is good (I command no peeking!), but all are invisible doesn't make sense to me (I command no being visible..?)

Is raw talking about normal damage? That might be called untyped, but I'm bad with these things.

Maybe give gease, or gease like abilities. See how much is already made for you.

I suggest rules can only make people do what they're capable of. I command you to fall asleep! shouldn't work.

See how broken things would be if you let the players write the rules, instead of drawing from a list. I believe the Machiavellian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?221950-quot-Believe-me-you-don-t-want-him-inside-your-head-quot-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH) does something similar.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-19, 11:53 AM
Hopefully some of this is helpful:

Looking at the effects of rules, I'm not sure how some of them make sense.
All are blind is good (I command no peeking!), but all are invisible doesn't make sense to me (I command no being visible..?)

Is raw talking about normal damage? That might be called untyped, but I'm bad with these things.

Maybe give gease, or gease like abilities. See how much is already made for you.

I suggest rules can only make people do what they're capable of. I command you to fall asleep! shouldn't work.

See how broken things would be if you let the players write the rules, instead of drawing from a list. I believe the Machiavellian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?221950-quot-Believe-me-you-don-t-want-him-inside-your-head-quot-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH) does something similar.

I realized that i was just trying to make a class that manipulates these (http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Geo_Panel).

Amechra
2014-06-19, 04:58 PM

<Raises eyebrow> Do explain? (PM, so there isn't a derail.)

I like what I see so far; you could do some work with formatting, though.

razorfloss
2014-06-19, 06:04 PM
Am I the only one thinking of gandalf saying you shall not pass

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-19, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one thinking of gandalf saying you shall not pass
That is going in the class!:smallbiggrin:

qazzquimby
2014-06-19, 08:31 PM
I realized that i was just trying to make a class that manipulates these.
Oh, you should perhaps note that somewhere visible. Knowing that makes the class pretty easy to understand, and that's not what comes to mind when I think rulemaking.

<Raises eyebrow> Do explain? (PM, so there isn't a derail.)
It's only similar to my suggestion, not his class. He went in an entirely different direction than I thought he was, so it's not really relevant.

ben-zayb
2014-06-19, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure I understand how the fluff relates to the mechanics. How is making a civic order causing darkness, mists, and illusory walls?

Kinda agree with qazz, in that this wasn't what I imagined when I heard rule-making. Was expecting more of buffing/debuffing abjuration types. (e.g you can't <action> in this area, or doing <action> in this area earns <penalty>, or anyone who does <action> in this area gets <bonus>)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-19, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand how the fluff relates to the mechanics. How is making a civic order causing darkness, mists, and illusory walls?

Kinda agree with qazz, in that this wasn't what I imagined when I heard rule-making. Was expecting more of buffing/debuffing abjuration types. (e.g you can't <action> in this area, or doing <action> in this area earns <penalty>, or anyone who does <action> in this area gets <bonus>)

When i first started this class i was trying to combine Geo Panels (http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Geo_Panel) with Freed Justine (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Freed_Justine). So half of what i was trying to do was just that.
But now it is leaning more toward the Geo panel side of the equation.

Rephath
2014-06-20, 02:45 PM
Inspired by the judges from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (I hated those guys)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-20, 08:40 PM
Added to OP

Durazno
2014-06-21, 05:04 AM
Punishment for attempting to dispel (regardless of success) is "Take damage equal to (1d6 + the Tile Master's Charisma modifier per level)".

Is putting the "per level" after the modifier intentional? This way, a level 6 Tile Master with 20 charisma would deal 6d6+30 damage.

spikeof2010
2014-06-22, 08:02 AM
I'd recommend putting the updated version in the OP. Anyway, here's some suggestions.

Add some features, obviously, there are a lot of dead levels. I don't feel this class could fair alone without some class features.

I'd also recommend some feats like "Metatile" Feats. Some I'd recommend are (and note these are only usable on one tile at a time)

Enlarge Tile, which makes makes a single tile take up 4 5' squares.

Extend Tile, which makes a tile's effect last for (1+Cha Mod) rounds after stepping off the tile.

Twin Tile, select two tile effects, you may overlap them, but this counts as 3 tiles activated.

I'd also recommend some really nerfed version of Heal as a tile, maybe Fast Healing 1 when on said tile?

AkazilliaDeNaro
2014-06-26, 12:38 AM
Is putting the "per level" after the modifier intentional? This way, a level 6 Tile Master with 20 charisma would deal 6d6+30 damage.

Yes that was intentional, is it too powerful?

I'd recommend putting the updated version in the OP. Anyway, here's some suggestions.

Add some features, obviously, there are a lot of dead levels. I don't feel this class could fair alone without some class features.

I'd also recommend some feats like "Metatile" Feats. Some I'd recommend are (and note these are only usable on one tile at a time)

Enlarge Tile, which makes makes a single tile take up 4 5' squares.

Extend Tile, which makes a tile's effect last for (1+Cha Mod) rounds after stepping off the tile.

Twin Tile, select two tile effects, you may overlap them, but this counts as 3 tiles activated.

I'd also recommend some really nerfed version of Heal as a tile, maybe Fast Healing 1 when on said tile?

those are some really good suggestions. Quick to the 'brewmobile!

spikeof2010
2014-06-26, 02:31 PM
Some effects, possibly more better for Metatiles.

Lure - Each round, any enemy who sees this tile must make a Will Save (DC 10+Your Tile Master Level) or at least make one move action to move towards this. Once they touch the tile, they are immune from the effect for (30 - Effective Tile Master Level)

Debatra
2014-09-14, 01:52 PM
These are mostly nice ideas, but execution is all over the place. Some higher-level Tiles give low-level effects, and vice-versa. You've got Dimensional Lock at two different levels of Tile. You have two abilities that are triggered by a Tile being dispelled, but Tiles are Supernatural abilities (which can't be dispelled). As written, there's no reason to not make every Tile a Lure Tile. I don't care how high a character's Will save is; throw twenty Lures at them and they'll get a natural one eventually.

And after all that, the class is rendered near-useless in battle by the fact that every single 5' square takes a full-round action. Combat isn't everything, but the Tiles are everything this class has. There are the Elemental Tiles, but you'll only be able to use one most encounters since it isn't that hard to figure out "Hey, the glowing floor just hurt me. I better stay away from that thing. Maybe I should tell my allies that it hurts too." It's possible they could only take a 5' step and not realize for a while that your Tiles have to be touching each other.

As written, Tiles are permanent until they're out of your Aura and there's no way to be rid of them. So by RAW, a Tile Master with the Web of Tiles feat becomes a Commoner with a better Will save when not in the general vicinity of the first Tile he ever made after taking the feat.