PDA

View Full Version : Soul stealing...

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-02-23, 08:23 PM
My character will be participating in a campaign soon with another character which has a fondness of stealing souls of powerful arcane users. My character is unfortunately a lich, the question is: Will his soul be safe in his phylactery?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-23, 08:28 PM
Well, I don't see where it would come into danger...

TheOtherMC
2007-02-23, 08:35 PM
Keep it secret! Keep it safe!

Macrovore
2007-02-23, 08:43 PM
it all depends on how noticeable the phylactery is. if it's an amulet you're wearing, it's pretty obvious, but if it's book in a library titled "Fighters are overpowered" or something commonplace, it'll go unnoticed.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-23, 10:08 PM
If he's getting to your phylactery at all, you're doing something wrong.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-23, 10:11 PM
Fill your filactery with contingences. Maybe some runes (with the proper protection from fire spells, of course). And hide it in a place only the DM knows. The DM shouldn't just tell where it is.

Collin152
2007-02-23, 10:39 PM
How exactly is he going about this soul-stealing?

Mewtarthio
2007-02-23, 10:41 PM
How exactly is he going about this soul-stealing?

Sleight of Hand, I'd imagine.

EvilElitest
2007-02-23, 11:29 PM

What is a soul? I don't think i have mine? IS that bad?:smalleek:
From,
EE

BCOVertigo
2007-02-23, 11:46 PM

Well, they DO have a DC for balancing on clouds...I imagine pickpocketing metaphysical objects isn't too far fetched given what else is possible...

Didn't they beat a lich that way on 8-bit theater?

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-02-23, 11:48 PM
Well, if the char gets his hands on my lich's phylactery he pretty much has control over him. Or would certain nasty spells be able to transfer the soul from the phylactery to a gem like I think it's the "trap the soul" spell.

The_Snark
2007-02-23, 11:58 PM
True.

But you're a lich, right? If he tries any of this, Dominate him and order him to stop. There are any number of methods of preventing him from stealing your phylactery with spells without causing undue party conflict. If party conflict is not a problem, Finger of Death works even better. For that matter... you could make your phylactery the focus for your own Trap the Soul spell, keyed to him, so that if he ever touches it you get his soul instead. Warn him not to try it, and laugh if he ignores you.

Alternatively, do what most liches do and place your phylactery far, far away, in a well-hidden or well-guarded place.

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-02-24, 12:10 AM
True.

But you're a lich, right? If he tries any of this, Dominate him and order him to stop. There are any number of methods of preventing him from stealing your phylactery with spells without causing undue party conflict. If party conflict is not a problem, Finger of Death works even better. For that matter... you could make your phylactery the focus for your own Trap the Soul spell, keyed to him, so that if he ever touches it you get his soul instead. Warn him not to try it, and laugh if he ignores you.

Alternatively, do what most liches do and place your phylactery far, far away, in a well-hidden or well-guarded place.

The dominate spell won't do much good, as his will save is almost as high as mine. The trap the soul spell on him sounds like an idea *smirk*.

The last option is already in the cards, I just dislike it not being protected by me. I mean, adventurers have this annoying ability to find important stuff like that and break it... though if I put an alarm style system on the house...

Pvednes
2007-02-24, 12:47 AM
Your phylactery should be better hidden than Ghengis Khan's grave.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-24, 12:50 AM
You should hide it better than the last word in this

Collin152
2007-02-24, 12:59 AM
You should hide it better than the last word in this
This what?! This... donut? This... thought? This... flux-capacitor?

Nahal
2007-02-24, 01:02 AM
Hey, if you'v got access to Trap the Soul then you've got access to Genesis, which will solve your problems if you have time for it to work. Make it so only you have control over entrance and exit, place the phylactery somewhere inside the plane, and stop worrying. Then hide a dummy phylactery with trap the soul somewhere not-completely-conspicuous and wear yet another dummy as a innocuous-looking object with yet another booby-trap.

Contingencies are fun!