PDA

View Full Version : Rhennee

Sploggle1
2014-06-19, 04:36 AM
I've been asking this question a lot but I am about to introduce an old race to my world but I only know half of the things I need to know. The Rhennee are an interesting race with an interesting back story. The only thing I need however is their stats. I've looked in the monster manual which has them as a base human class but I want something a little more accurate. I then heard about the Living Greyhawk Gazzetter. Does anyone know if this book has the information I need on them? Mainly Stats is the thing I am looking for.

Khedrac
2014-06-19, 06:50 AM
Ask this again and people will start reporting you for Spamming...

They are not a race in the D&D sense like "human" or "elf" - they are a "race" in the real world sense like "caucasian". As such they are normal humans.

I know this has been asked and answered at least twice before...

So: no stat modifiers, 1 bonus feat at first level, +1 skill point per level, favoured class "Any", no bonus languages or level adjustment.

USE THE PHB.

Sploggle1
2014-06-19, 09:42 AM
1 they are not in the phb and 2 they are classified as human but a different race of. If you knew ad&d you would know this. A ad&d player would also know this because it's the same with the sueloice, and the other handful of human races. All different stats as well.
I know there are stats for them but in a book i cannot find. The world of greyhawk. If you keep harassing my thread over a simple question then i will report you since you obviously don't have the information i need.

So since that is out of the way my question still stands to anyone is it in the living greyhawk gazzetter.

John Longarrow
2014-06-19, 10:23 AM
Sploggle1

Please use the correct term. Rhennee is an ethnicity of human. They are based off of the Romani people.

The closest information you can find is comparable to the different regions in Fearun.

torrasque666
2014-06-19, 10:28 AM
Unless you can provide me with a source for the Suloise stat adjustments, I'm going to go with the information I just managed to pull off of the Wizard's Community Forum, posted by zombiegleemax.

If you're asking about game rules information on the races, you needn't worry about it.

All the human races in Greyhawk have the same stats and there are no racial adjustments to abilities, skills, or anything else.

The human races in Greyhawk are distinguished for world-flavor reasons to distinguish language and culture differences rather than for any game mechanic reasons.

If you want to learn about them you can read the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer or simply do a Google search on the different names of the Greyhawk human races you want to learn about.

So Khedrac is right. They are human, and therefore would have all the modifiers of a human.

HammeredWharf
2014-06-19, 10:36 AM
Living Greyhawk doesn't have any stats for races. Greyhawk is the default campaign setting, so its humans are standard humans from the PHP.

Khedrac
2014-06-19, 12:19 PM
1 they are not in the phb and 2 they are classified as human but a different race of. If you knew ad&d you would know this. A ad&d player would also know this because it's the same with the sueloice, and the other handful of human races. All different stats as well.
I know there are stats for them but in a book i cannot find. The world of greyhawk. If you keep harassing my thread over a simple question then i will report you since you obviously don't have the information i need.

So since that is out of the way my question still stands to anyone is it in the living greyhawk gazzetter.
I have played AD&D and 2nd Ed AD&D, I used to have the Greyhawk boxed set, I have the City of Greyhawk boxed set and Greyhawk Adventures, I have the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer and I stand by my answer - THEY ARE HUMAN.
I have never seen different statistics for the Sueloise, the Flaan or the Baklunish.
Humans us the Player's Handbook.

Now, it occurs to me that you might just be talking about Height and Weight tables - in D&D terms those are not "statistics" because Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma are the "statistics". If this is what you mean then you need to revise your question before you get reported for Trolling/Spamming.

Incidentally, the fact that every single reply to every single post on this subject has come back with the same answers, and there are some incredibly knowledgeable people using these forums (not me) should suggest to you that we know what we are talking about. Yes people make mistakes, but so many people over multiple times of asking? - not likely.

Sploggle1
2014-06-21, 06:55 PM
Finally found it in old text with obviously no help lol +1 strength and -2 charisma

Sploggle1
2014-06-21, 07:01 PM
Suel +1 int and -1 cha

Duke of Urrel
2014-06-21, 08:46 PM
Finally found it in old text with obviously no help lol +1 strength and -2 charisma

Suel +1 int and -1 cha

Those racial bonuses, it should be noted, come from page 42 of the AD&D Greyhawk Player's Guide by Anne Brown, published 1998. In this book, on pages 34 to 37, human ethnic varieties such as the Flannae, the Oeridians, the Rhennee, the Suloise, and the Baklunish are called "races." The word is clearly used in the common sense rather than in the specific sense of D&D 3.5, which is synonymous with "species" and is used in contrast to the term "subrace" in the sense of "subspecies."

(Only the possibility of interbreeding between certain Humanoid races, for example between humans and elves and between humans and orcs, implies that these races may not belong to separate species in the real-world biological sense after all.)

I think it must be left up to the DM whether racial bonuses from AD&D circa 1998 still apply in a game that uses version 3.5 rules.

I'm sorry that I came a little late to this discussion!

Karnith
2014-06-21, 08:48 PM
I think it must be left up to the DM whether racial bonuses from AD&D circa 1998 still apply in a game that uses version 3.5 rules.
Particularly as the ability score adjustments themselves don't really jibe with the way that 3.5 handles ability score bonuses and penalties, and because the human ethnicities of Oerth do not have separate stats in 3e (see Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, pp. 5-9 and Living Greyhawk Campaign Standards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome), p. 25). The only mechanical differences between the races are the regional feats that they have access to.

Duke of Urrel
2014-06-21, 09:20 PM
Particularly as the ability score adjustments themselves don't really jibe with the way that 3.5 handles ability score bonuses and penalties, and because the human ethnicities of Oerth do not have separate stats in 3e (see Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, pp. 5-9 and Living Greyhawk Campaign Standards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome), p. 25). The only mechanical differences between the races are the regional feats that they have access to.

This is a good point.

In particular, I believe the notion that a Charisma bonus or penalty may be race-specific (as it is for the Rhennee in the Greyhawk Player's Guide of 1998) has been discontinued in version 3.5.

Khedrac
2014-06-22, 11:05 AM
First up, I owe Sploggle1 an apology - so here it is, you were right and I was wrong.

(Any lack of clarity comes from me talking with my mouth full - of Humble Pie.)

Incidentally, I owe you another apology as I never checked to see if it was you show posted the two earlier copies of this question in the 'Older D&D and Other Systems' forum, if it was you, you might want to repost this information there as we all got it wrong.

In my defence I will say that this was published after I stopped buying 2nd Ed AD&D products so I really have never seen it before.

I was thinking of saying that I was surprised that WotC published something that went so completely against the design philosophy, but then I realised that it would be nonsense to say so, 2nd Ed never had a coherent design philosophy, oh well. That said, 3rd Ed/3.5 does have the stated position that all racial stat bonuses should be even numbers, so if you do want to import these modifiers they should increased to +2 and -2 - to give the same stat modifier change to all characters.

I am still astonished they did provide different modifiers for ethnic groups though, well, well, well - you learn something every day.

Edit: Extremely well done for finding this!

Larkas
2014-06-22, 11:17 AM
I am still astonished they did provide different modifiers for ethnic groups though, well, well, well - you learn something every day.

Well, they still do this in 3.5. Just look at all the elven subraces. I'm not even talking about drows, those might have a reason to be warped, but why are wood elves different from wild elves, or even gray or high elves for that matter?