PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A sorted, please close

sideswipe
2014-06-19, 04:49 AM
if i make an outsider character. does that character have all simple and martial weapon proficiencies and how do i know what armour proficiencies it gets? rules say it gets them but how RAW do i get them?
because if suggests finding a picture of an outsider in full plate then you get light med and heavy.....

Baroknik
2014-06-19, 04:56 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType

Outsiders are proficient with all weapons they are described as having and all armor weight (and lighter) that they are described as having.

In other words, the gear that the MM gives them they are proficient with.

sideswipe
2014-06-19, 04:58 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType

Outsiders are proficient with all weapons they are described as having and all armor weight (and lighter) that they are described as having.

In other words, the gear that the MM gives them they are proficient with.

i thought so but vague is vague.

does anyone know of an outsider (preferably with 0HD 0LA) with all simple and martial weapons prof. and with as many armour profs as possible

Telonius
2014-06-19, 05:17 AM
There is a bit of controversy for 0-RHD outsiders. Under the Improving Monsters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#humanoidsAndClassLevels) section of the SRD, it says:

Humanoids and Class Levels
Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.

So the controversy is in two pieces there. First, does it apply only to Humanoids? Second, do the proficiencies granted by a class fall into those "other class abilities" mentioned in the entry? I don't think it's ever been completely clarified officially, so this would probably be an "ask your DM" situation.

The (1-LA, 1HD Outsider) Aasimar entry in the Monster Manual is described as having Scale Male and a longsword. Unfortunately it's also listed as a 1st-level Warrior, which would have proficiency in that stuff regardless of type. Similar situation for the Tiefling.

(There's a similar problem with the Giant type and the Half-Ogre race from Races of Destiny; that book doesn't even have a sample monster that might clarify things).

Andezzar
2014-06-19, 05:23 AM
does anyone know of an outsider (preferably with 0HD 0LA) with all simple and martial weapons prof. and with as many armour profs as possibleAny outsider is proficient with all simple and martial weapons so that is no problem. AFAIK the Neraph (PlH p. 12 f.) is the only LA 0 Outsider. It is not inherently proficient with any armor.

What are you trying to achieve? Is LA 0 more important or the armor proficiencies? Why do you want armor proficiencies?

sideswipe
2014-06-19, 07:08 AM
What are you trying to achieve? Is LA 0 more important or the armour proficiencies? Why do you want armour proficiencies?

i am trying to find a way to get martial weapon proficiencies and as many armour proficiencies as possible. but the weapons are more important as getting all weapon proficiencies without a level dip is impossible.

i am trying to get them as a race rather than class levels. i have a build in mind but all i need help with is getting proficiencies from the race component, or templates? and having a 0 level adjustment and 0 hit die.

Telonius
2014-06-19, 08:08 AM
Yeah, qualifying for the ingredient is going to be annoying this time, isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

sideswipe
2014-06-19, 08:10 AM
Yeah, qualifying for the ingredient is going to be annoying this time, isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

i have a way of doing it, i just don't want to do it that way. and this is my first time cooking so i at least want it to be passable.

Darrin
2014-06-19, 08:59 AM
i am trying to find a way to get martial weapon proficiencies and as many armour proficiencies as possible. but the weapons are more important as getting all weapon proficiencies without a level dip is impossible.

i am trying to get them as a race rather than class levels. i have a build in mind but all i need help with is getting proficiencies from the race component, or templates? and having a 0 level adjustment and 0 hit die.

A Savage Progression Aasimar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is a LA +0 outsider. It is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. It is also proficient with light armor, medium armor, and shields.

A Savage Progression Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is also LA +0. Weapon proficiencies are the same (simple + martial), but is only proficient with light armor and shields.

There are a couple feats that might help. Otherworldly (Player's Guide to Faerun) can be used with Deep Imaskari, Elf, or Spirit Folk to gain the Outsider type, which confers proficiencies similar to above. Some DMs may allow Lesser Planetouched (Aasimar, Tiefling, Genasi) to take Otherworldly as well. There's also the Militia feat (same book), which grants proficiency with all Martial weapons. These are both 1st-level only regional feats, though, and are campaign-specific. Trying to use them outside of the Forgotten Realms might draw some frownage.

If you're looking for a 1-level dip to confer weapon/armor proficiencies, Dragonslayer (Draconomicon) is frequently mentioned. Some of the Racial Paragon classes from Unearthed Arcana might help.

manyslayer
2014-06-19, 01:48 PM

Not sure if it helps or not, but Player's Guide to Faerun has the Militia feat that grants proficiency with all martial. It's regional (and from a setting book) so depends on how your group handles such things.

sideswipe
2014-06-19, 01:50 PM
thanks for all the posts. i have worked around the problem.