PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied Berserker reaction

Endril
2014-06-19, 05:07 AM
Your frenzied berserker, who still has a frenzy available to use, is sitting in a bar when a woman, offended by him for some reason or another, slaps him, dealing 1 non lethal point of damage. He fails his will save and enters frenzy. Would you:

a) Beat up her and anyone that interferes with your fists
b) Pull out your sword and start killing everybody
c) ?

I'm assuming most would say pull out your sword because it says "attack to the best of your ability", but is that open to interpretation? Those that say frenzy is uncontrollable and you just start killing everyone justify their stance by saying you black out and give in to your anger, not realizing your actions. But isn't this the same thing someone might do with their fists, in a bar fight for example? I can think of plenty of real world examples where this has happened. You instinctly know if your life is threatened, and respond with lethal or non-lethal force accordingly.

vhfforever
2014-06-19, 05:17 AM
Kill everyone, because I'm playing a Frenzied Berserker and made that choice long ago...when I decided to pick a bunch of mediocre feats to qualify for the class.

Sir Chuckles
2014-06-19, 05:18 AM
During a frenzy, the frenzied berserker must attack those she perceives as foes to the best of her ability. Should she run out of enemies before her frenzy expires, her rampage continues. She must then attack the nearest creature (determine randomly if several potential foes are equidistant) and fight that opponent without regard to friendship, innocence, or health (the target's or her own).

The barmaid is getting a sword through the chest.
Everyone around her is also getting a sword through the chest.

prufock
2014-06-19, 06:31 AM
Your frenzied berserker, who still has a frenzy available to use, is sitting in a bar when a woman, offended by him for some reason or another, slaps him, dealing 1 non lethal point of damage. He fails his will save and enters frenzy. Would you:

a) Beat up her and anyone that interferes with your fists
b) Pull out your sword and start killing everybody
c) ?

None of the above. The frenzied berserker laughs in amusement of her puny attack and simultaneous respect for her guts. He apologizes for whatever slight and offers to buy her a drink.

Damage Reduction means I take 0 damage (barbarian 7)
Will Save (DC 11 vs my +4 or +5 will)
Nonlethal damage isn't "real" damage

It's open to interpretation, but I would never force a player to go postal on a barmaid for slapping him. Also, even if you do attack, you define what "the best of your ability" means. Drawing your sword against this puny fool might be a wasted action when fists will do. She is not "perceived as a foe" so you might not even attack her... you might attack the guy sitting next to you.

Alanto
2014-06-19, 06:52 AM
I'd generally say fists and beat the living hell out of everyone in reach, starting with her but probably immediately switching to whichever guy decides to be a hero and take a (entirely justified, jesus, I'm beating up a woman in a bar for basically no good reason) swing .
Glass her if the character was literally holding something when it happened, but my interpretation doesn't include stopping to draw a weapon if the snap is that sudden, and I might well be trying desperately to make the save to STOP FIGHTING every round as well.
If I had Quick Draw it might be a different story, but I'm not sure.

Admittedly, yeah, this would only be after checking that the character's DR didn't prevent the damage.