PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with mooks?

With a box
2014-06-19, 05:46 AM
Let's say you have dominated 10k of lv 1~3 mooks. (See DMG for %of lv/class)
What can I do with them?
Commoner railgun?

Forrestfire
2014-06-19, 08:15 AM
Max knowledge (religion) and sacrifice them to your dark god for free wishes? Get 100,000 worth of crafting exp by harvesting their souls? Conquer a city? Conquer several cities? Have them scatter and be a vast network of informants? Find the casters and make them level up through combat with some of the noncasters?

John Longarrow
2014-06-19, 09:24 AM
Let's say you have dominated 10k of lv 1~3 mooks.

Dominate as in the spell or dominate as in you can for your will upon them through political/military/economic/religious power?

Inevitability
2014-06-19, 12:25 PM
Use Mindrape to give a few of them arcane knowledge, and let them teach the others how to use arcane power, until all of them know about the arcane. Send them to join adventuring parties, and have them return a few years (wait on your fast time plane in the meantime) later. Use your armies of high-level wizards to conquer the planet.

Vedhin
2014-06-19, 06:49 PM
Check Song and Silence from Masterwork Alphorn stats. Hire a Bard with Inspire Courage (and maybe Dragonfire Inspiration). Have the Bard use the Alphorn to Inspire Courage in the army of mooks.
Profit.

Kazudo
2014-06-19, 07:22 PM
Give each one a 1/day item of Love's Pain. Send them forth to terrorize the nation.

Cause the Wightocalypse with a Fell Drained Flash Frosted Fimbulwinter.

Captnq
2014-06-19, 07:23 PM
Lets see at 5 castings of the spell a day, that would take you 2,000 days to get all 10,000 of them. Or close to 6 years. During which time I've gone adventuring, leveled up 24 times, and now smite you for being an evil overlord.

There are better things to do with your time.

Kazudo
2014-06-19, 07:30 PM
Actually, assuming that my cohorts' cohorts' cohorts' cohorts' cohorts' cohorts' cohorts actually had the ability to craft said wondrous items as well, then it wouldn't take nearly that long.

10k items of Love's Pain? If I'm able to make 5 items per day and the cohorts etc. are 5th level wizards with above average INT making them have, say, 2 per day (they'd probably be MUCH higher if this is actually cheesed out but whatever) assuming that me and...say...7 individuals are capable of making it that actually gives us 19 items per day, which is around 527 days. Just under a year and a half.

EDIT: And actually for a Bowser build, I calculated this out. Assuming Thrallherds with a bunch of Thrallherds, let me see if I can find the actual numbers.

Ok. It ends up looking something like this

1485 1st level mooks
127 2nd level mooks
67 3rd level mooks
60 4th level mooks
20 5th level mooks
20 6th level mooks

2 level 18 thralls
4 level 16 thralls
4 level 14 thralls
2 level 12 thralls
2 level 10 cohorts
2 level 8 cohorts.

Let's assume that I have some way of getting 3rd level spells (casted, not items) to every creature in this list that is 5th level or higher. That's 20 5th level wizards (2/day), 20 6th level wizards (3/day), 2 8th level wizards (4/day), 2 10th level wizards (4/day), and 2 12th level wizards (5/day). Now then, let's also assume that the "fill any above level slots with lower level spells" rule is in effect, and let's also assume that for some reason we're able to mitigate the 2d6 INT damage. We have half decent CON scores, and we all have Mind Over Body. Oh, and let's forget about the XP necessities since it's weird about cohorts/followers and XP, but let's say that every time someone runs out of XP, they go kill a bunch of meaningless things that slowly build up XP and probably won't kill one in a day. That means that the 5th level wizards are generating 40 Wondrous Items of Love's Pain per day, the 6th level wizards add 60 per day, the 8th level wizards add 12 per day, the 10th level wizards add 18 per day, and the 12th level wizards add 26 per day. Now, I'm not including the ones that require psionics to maintain because I don't want to have to think that hard. That means that, per day, we're generating 156 items of Love's Pain 1/day per day. That's 65 days to outfit all 10k members of my horde with items.

Think you can topple me THAT easily?

EDIT 2: EDIT HARDER: And actually it's false. Each person would have to probably take several days to make one item. So it still would take quite a while even working in shifts. But your assumption that it would take far too long to be viable is likely incorrect. Assuming that there are 57 workers per day (including the psionics, they could probably have enough in wizard to get there. Who knows.) split into 6 day shifts (since a 1/day magic item of Love's Pain would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 6kgp per the estimating chart), there'd be 9.5 items being made per day. This would take, yes, around 2.9 years.

Lightlawbliss
2014-06-19, 08:17 PM
(snip)

I have been in campaigns that went from 1 to 20 in less then a year, and anyone that big is going to have a hard time hiding they exist (adventures roll a high gather info check and drunk lvl 1 spy talks).

Kazudo
2014-06-19, 08:37 PM
And that's definitely an alright notion. However, it would make for one pretty neat BBEG personally speaking. Imagine the group roaming through villages being magical murderhobos and suddenly people are just dropping dead! For no good reason at all! Around 9-10 per day, increasing by 9-10 per day! (what, did you think I'd just hole up all of the mooks while they're getting outfitted with items? Psht.) It would take a while to even get a grips on what's happening since there's no limit on distance for that. The caster could be anywhere. It could be any one, and it could be thousands of miles away from me and my operations. What's worse, you and your party may not even be aware it's happening for the first few months. What's worse than that is that you and your party could be the ones being hurt by this particular plot. Then what happens? I could see a well orchestrated, railroaded plot taking you from level 1-20 assuming you're not anyone's particular true love during that whole time eventually leading you to me halfway through my dastardly plot with only 5000 mooks running around with a love's pain casting per day per person and more being generated every day, but I've still put a HUGE dent in the world. By the time that year's done, I've got 3410 guys out there with items of Love's Pain 1/day using them 1/day. Assuming one casting kills one person and, rounding, 10 per day since it ends up with 9.5 and I'm an optimist, dealing call it 3d6 damage per casting. Again, it's uneven and skewed so we'll just round up since I'm an optimist. By the time you've gotten to level 20 after that year and faced me, I've killed around 646200 people if I'm not mistaken. If it takes two years, that number increases to around 9584200 people. That, granted, is with over 10k mooks running around assuming 10/day being made and used.

Coidzor
2014-06-19, 08:42 PM
You could form hospitals in every city (or at least every major city or every city in several regions) in the setting going by the LE Mendicant scheme where you heal people in exchange for harvesting XP from them. Or homeless shelters or soup kitchens or...

Heck, I suppose you could make a bunch of basically harmless cults that worship you in a ritual involving those nipple clamps from BoVD, a symbol of pain, thus both giving you worship and crafting XP.

Could form the follower basis for an ascension into Godhood, after all. You'd have to work out the actual Apotheosis with your DM though.