PDA

View Full Version : custom magic ring

Grand Warchief
2014-06-19, 08:40 AM
So my character has recently picked up a cohort who he intends to marry, and as a follower of tradition, he wants to make a set of matching wedding rings for them to wear.I looked around the interwebs and couldn't find how the spells I want fit together as a paired item. I want them to be linked via two spells. My DM is pretty lenient in terms of bending rules not quite covered by raw and likes to help his players out with anything and everything fluff.

What I'm looking for would be the spells status and shield other, duration permanent linking them, so the wearer of one ring can share damage and know the condition of the other. I felt that this would be an excellent wedding present, but I don't know the rules to make it work.

I can kinda figure out the cost for making it, though I'm not the best at it so any help would be appreciated, but I don't know if there's a way to make them linked or if it needs to be house ruled. I couldn't find anything on making spells like that permanent since they affect more than one person.

Any help you guys could give would be amazing :) thanks in advance, you guys always have the best ideas.

Grand Warchief
2014-06-19, 08:41 AM
Oh, and sorry if this thread isn't in the right place, I'm doing this from my phone and it's not the best for this kind of thing, I'm also kinda new to posting so please forgive me

Mcdt2
2014-06-19, 10:00 AM
There shouldn't be anything requiring you to link them, mechanically. You might want to look at the Friend Shield magic ring, for comparison. It's a set of matched rings that can cast shield other on whoever's wearing the other ring, with a 10 hour duration thanks to its caster level. Personally, I feel this item is vastly overpriced at 50k for the set, though it does have the advantage of infinite range for the shield other effect.

That said, if I were the DM, I'd price it as such
Status Effect= 2*3*2000 (cost for a level 2 spell, minimum CL, as a continuous effect)=10k 12k
Shield Other= 2*3*2000 (conveniently the same cost, huh?)=10k 12k

HOWEVER, to stack them together we must multiply one of the effect's cost by 1.5. I don't remember if we multiply the greater or smaller cost, but they are the same here, so makes that simple.

Total Cost= 25k 30k for one ring

Now the question is, what should the pair cost? Personally I'd be inclined to say twice as much, putting it at the exact price as the Friend Shield, 50k at 60k, just above the Friend Shield. In fact, I'd likely name this new item "Friend Shield", and just remove the old version from the game entirely. I'd also let this new version work at infinite range, just as the old one did. That's just me however; I tend to like replacing old rules very often, as my sig can attest to. I'm also a fan of having magic items be both affordable and relevant. I don't know what your DM would think of this, but that's my 2cp.

Grand Warchief
2014-06-19, 11:15 AM
That's what I was thinking, though it should be 60k (3*2*2000 being equal to 12,000 not 10,000, thereby making it 30,000 for one ring) but that's not the point. I was concerned about the distance needing to be irrelevant (so long as you're on the same plane) and the link, which there doesn't seem to be a rule for. I appreciate the feedback. I'll bring it up to him that the pair would cost somewhere around 60k. Thank you

Mcdt2
2014-06-19, 11:23 AM
That's what I was thinking, though it should be 60k (3*2*2000 being equal to 12,000 not 10,000, thereby making it 30,000 for one ring) but that's not the point. I was concerned about the distance needing to be irrelevant (so long as you're on the same plane) and the link, which there doesn't seem to be a rule for. I appreciate the feedback. I'll bring it up to him that the pair would cost somewhere around 60k. Thank you

Woops :smalleek:. Math is hard. Note to self: Addition and Multiplication are NOT the same thing.

Still, I stand by my thoughts to replace Friend Shield with this item, probably still at 50k, if only because 60k just feels off to me. Heck, I might put it at 40k, I'm not sure anyone would want it much even at 50k (maybe useful for a squishy character to get and share with the tank maybe? I dunno, still seems kinda pointless, but then by the time this would be affordable I tend to have fights where the squishies die in one hit, and so their goal is simply to avoid being hit at all.)

Grand Warchief
2014-06-19, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I'm playing a ranger that was given a relic cursed bow that adds my dex to damage while it melds with my body preventing me from using a different weapon, and my cohort is a fusion of bard, cavalier, and battle herald, so neither of us wanna get hit. I mainly want it for rp, but I wanted it to at least cost something close to reasonable XD

manyslayer
2014-06-19, 11:43 AM
There is already the Friend Shield Rings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#friendShield). Grants unlimited range to the Shield Other but no Status effect. You could probably start from there and add the Status effect. More expensive, perhaps, but the unlimited range is nice.

Friend Shield
These curious rings always come in pairs. A friend shield ring without its mate is useless. Either wearer of one of a pair of the rings can, at any time, command his or her ring to cast a shield other spell with the wearer of the mated ring as the recipient. This effect has no range limitation.

Moderate abjuration; CL 10th; Forge Ring, shield other; Price 50,000 gp (for a pair).

Gildedragon
2014-06-19, 02:21 PM
If you are open to Pathfinder stuff
there are the "sanctified rings" channel focci:
they cost 5 gp and once activated (by a cleric in a brief ceremony) if anyone of the bearers takes the ring off or dies, the other ring cracks and the wearer knows if it was due to death or removal

Grand Warchief
2014-06-20, 07:38 AM
It actually is a pathfinder game, but we do pull stuff from 3.5 when needed. That sanctified ring thing is cool, I'll definitely add that in as part of the ceremony :) thanks for mentioning it