PDA

View Full Version : Building a Fire Bender

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 09:11 AM
So I'd like to build a Fire Bender from Avatar and figured Unarmed Swordsage 5 into Pyrokineticist would be appropriate.
For schools, I guess Setting Sun and Desert Wind would fit thematically, but here's my problem:

I just cant decide which maneuvers to select.

Any Suggestions?

Val666
2014-06-19, 09:37 AM
Well I think you should take the "Throw line" from Sentting Sun, also the good counters such as Counter Charge, Feigned Opening,Scorpion Parry, Hydra Slaying Strike, Fool's Strike, etc.

For Desert Wind take all the "x Blade" the ones that add d6s to your attacks (try switching the lower level ones for the higher level ones). If there is no other melee in the party take Distracting Ember so you can flank e.e Burning Brand looks good to emulate the reach of the fire benders. Be sure to take Leaping Flame, that maneuver is awesome.

Remember Desert Wind is one of the weakest disciplines witout ways to boost it. Since you are taking 5 levels in Pyrokineticist thats -5 to Initiator Level but remember that other classes than ss,wb and crusader give their level/2 to IL so I would recommend taking 1 level in any other class. It should look like this: Swordsage 5/ Pyrokineticist 5/ X 1/ Swordsage +9.

At the end you have IL 17 so the level 9 maneuvers are avilable.

Aside from this, I have some questions:

Which Race are you playing?
Got your ability scores?
Are relaying in the whip to attack? (I think it will be cool if you have the whip and also take the unarmed swordsage variant)

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 10:01 AM
Wow, I really appreciate your feedback :smallsmile:

As I need a PP reserve for entering Pyro, I considered two race options.
First involves Incarnate Construct Phrenic Warforged cheese with some fiery refluff of the SLAs. Since my DM is all for fluff and Incarnate Construct lets me emulate Combustion Man from Avatar he might wing it.
Otherwise propably Human, since the Avatar guys are human too and I could use the bonus feat for Hidden Talent.

I would definitely like to use the fire whip.
Abilities will be 28 pt buy.

If i take Pyro all the way to 10 (or 9+1) I would net IL 15 and thus getting 8th level maneuvers. Do you think the gain of Pyros stronger fire buff and SoD would outweigh the loss of 9th level maneuvers?
I have never been involved in high level ToB play so I have a hard time evaluating their power.

Edit: coming to think of it, focusing on Pyro might be too MAD...I'd need high DEX for to hit, WIS scales nice with Swordsage and if I decide to go Power Attack (wich to my understanding should work with the lash), I'd need ~14 STR too
The Pyro adds the need for high CHA to improve the pitiful Heat Death DC.

Anxe
2014-06-19, 10:11 AM
Do any of the 9th level maneuvers match the theme of the character? That's what I'd be asking myself. If you don't need them to pull off the concept then Pyrokineticist is probably better.

Also, have you thought about a way to include lightning into the build? The other part of fire bending. You could ask the DM if any of the maneuvers can be refluffed to lightning. Iron Heart's Lightning Throw seems like a perfect fit for that, but you won't have access to it without using three feats for Martial Study. There's always magic items for that part, but I feel like there must be a better way. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Val666
2014-06-19, 10:20 AM
Well Pyrokineticist capstone is considered weak. it have max damage 90 and the Desert Wind 9 level maneuver does 100 damage always. Yeah the Pyrokineticist capstone have a Save or Die but it is fortitude safe so it wont come often. On the other side, the level 9 Pyrokineticist ability is better than the capstone by far. -1 to the DC but it can be used at freaking will. If you want to focus on that,
Swordsage 5, Pyrokineticist 9, X 1/ Swordsage +5 can do the trick.That neats 15 IL and 7 level maneuvers. Try to also get the Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers since they dont have prereqs (only IL) and refulff them with fire theme. Since you want to use the lash and it is a ranged touch attack that uses dex, pumping dex would be a good idea. That X 1 level, could be a fighter level with the Drow ACF that losses heavy armor porficiency and adds Dex to damage against flat-footed targets (pick Island of Blades stance or use distracting ember for this. flank flank flank e.e) Now, the DC of the Pyrokineticist abilities are CHA based, your warforged idea losses CHA and I think (not very sure) the stats order should go like this: DEX,CON,CHA,WIS,INT,STR for unarmed swordsage and DEX,CON,CHA,STR,WIS,INT for normal swordsage. I may be wrong Dx Also you playing a swordsage aka worst recovery method ever. You need Adaptive Style and Weapon Finesse (maybe for US). I dont know which feats you should take e.e have you considered two weapon fighting Dx? whith you Lash and a Kusarigama??? both on fire??? lalala??'

Mcdt2
2014-06-19, 10:28 AM
Alternatively, if you and your DM are open to homebrew, might I suggest the Avatar d20 Project? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?68630-Avatar-d20-Project-Bending-System-and-Bending-Classes-Thread-II) I've used it some in my own campaigns and so far I really enjoy it. It does an excellent job of representing bending and the world of Avatar as a whole.

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 10:30 AM
Swordsage 5, Pyrokineticist 9, X 1/ Swordsage +5 can do the trick.That neats 15 IL and 7 level maneuvers.
Unless errata'd shouldnt that get me 8th level?

Try to also get the Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers since they dont have prereqs (only IL) and refulff them with fire theme. Since you want to use the lash and it is a ranged touch attack that uses dex, pumping dex would be a good idea. That X 1 level, could be a fighter level with the Drow ACF that losses heavy armor porficiency and adds Dex to damage against flat-footed targets (pick Island of Blades stance or use distracting ember for this. flank flank flank e.e)
Awesome ideas :)

Now, the DC of the Pyrokineticist abilities are CHA based, your warforged idea losses CHA
Phrenic adds +4 CHA, so it would actually be an advantage over human :D

I dont know which feats you should take e.e
For feats I definitely want Weapon Finesse...Adaptive Style seems rather useful indeed as well
If I want Heat Death, I need Ability Focus for +2 DC and Instant Clarity to renew focus when using a maneuver.
Otherwise I'm kinda torn between ranged weapon feats for Lash and fireballin', Power Attack and Snap Kick, and Metamagic SLA feats

Val666
2014-06-19, 10:38 AM
Unless errata'd shouldnt that get me 8th level?

Right IL 8 e.e

Awesome ideas :)

Phrenic adds +4 CHA, so it would actually be an advantage over human :D

Nice! Pyro al adds +4 CHA when using...an ability I dont remember Dx so yeah I would be an advantage.

For feats I definitely want Weapon Finesse...Adaptive Style seems rather useful indeed
If I want Heat Death, I need Ability Focus for +2 DC and Psionic Clarity to renew focus when using a maneuver.
Otherwise I'm kinda torn between ranged weapon feats for Lash and fireballin', Power Attack and Snap Kick, and Metamagic SLA feats

Well...idk hahahahaha remember power attack requieres 13 str. Snap Kick could be useful. Try to convince you DM that the lash is a Desert Wind weapon e.e

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 10:49 AM
Well...idk hahahahaha remember power attack requieres 13 str. Snap Kick could be useful. Try to convince you DM that the lash is a Desert Wind weapon e.e
Yeah, I guess STR will be dumped to avoid further MAD...the Desert Wind Lash is a really flavorful idea :) I guess the point is Insightful Strike to Desert Wind? I would get Weapon Focus for Unarmed Strike, since those won't be touch attacks

Edit:

Do any of the 9th level maneuvers match the theme of the character? That's what I'd be asking myself. If you don't need them to pull off the concept then Pyrokineticist is probably better.

Also, have you thought about a way to include lightning into the build? The other part of fire bending. You could ask the DM if any of the maneuvers can be refluffed to lightning. Iron Heart's Lightning Throw seems like a perfect fit for that, but you won't have access to it without using three feats for Martial Study. There's always magic items for that part, but I feel like there must be a better way. Maybe someone else has an idea.
Yeah I figured I won't need the 9th level maneuvers...some of the Desert Wind "spells" are easily enough refluffed as lightning. The Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers could also be some kind of lightning step :)