PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Whip Question

mr_odd
2014-06-19, 10:45 AM
Question, I want to make a swiftblade character that uses a whip for tripping. He'll have the weapon proficiency for it and improved trip. Improved trip gives me an immediate extra melee attack.

The whip states that if the target gets +1 armor bonus or +3 natural armor, the whip does no damage. These are my questions:

If I have a shocking whip, and the target has armor, does the target still take the 1d6 shock damage and 1d6 swiftblade damage, but not the normal 1d3?

Since the whip deals nonlethal damage, does that also make the shocking and swiftblade damages nonlethal?

Snowbluff
2014-06-19, 10:55 AM
I would say no to it dealing damage. Use a whip dagger instead. :smalltongue:

jjcrpntr
2014-06-19, 10:59 AM

Ya I'd probably go with this. My logic would be that a weapon that deals non-lethal damage having a shock enchantment (which is lethal damage) goes counter to the weapon.
In pathfinder you can just buy a scorpion whip and deal lethal damage with it.

mr_odd
2014-06-19, 11:24 AM

Ya I'd probably go with this. My logic would be that a weapon that deals non-lethal damage having a shock enchantment (which is lethal damage) goes counter to the weapon.
In pathfinder you can just buy a scorpion whip and deal lethal damage with it.

I looked up whip dagger, and it is listed as a range weapon rather than a melee weapon with reach. This means I wouldn't get my immediate melee attack after a trip. That doesn't make much sense that I would with a normal whip but not a whip dagger.

Mcdt2
2014-06-19, 11:28 AM
I looked up whip dagger, and it is listed as a range weapon rather than a melee weapon with reach. This means I wouldn't get my immediate melee attack after a trip. That doesn't make much sense that I would with a normal whip but not a whip dagger.

This is because Arms and Equipment guide is a 3.0 book, and IIRC whips worked like that in 3.0. This is one of the things from there that really needs updating.

mr_odd
2014-06-19, 11:47 AM
This is because Arms and Equipment guide is a 3.0 book, and IIRC whips worked like that in 3.0. This is one of the things from there that really needs updating.

Ohh okay. So in a 3.5 campaign, it would act as a melee weapon with reach. That makes sense. So are all of the black and white books 3.0?

Werephilosopher
2014-06-19, 11:47 AM
According to Dragon Magazine #353, "a whip dagger is treated as a normal whip, save that its ability to deal damage is unhindered by armor bonuses and natural armor bonuses." Also proficiency with a regular whip lets you use it normally.

mr_odd
2014-06-19, 11:49 AM
According to Dragon Magazine #353, "a whip dagger is treated as a normal whip, save that its ability to deal damage is unhindered by armor bonuses and natural armor bonuses." Also proficiency with a regular whip lets you use it normally.

So does that make its damage 1d3, or 1d6?

jjcrpntr
2014-06-19, 12:22 PM

I'm going off of pathfinder rules sorry.
In pathfinder a Scorpion Whip is a light exotic weapon with reach, that deals 1d4 lethal damage and the description says if you are proficient with a whip you can use the scorpion whip as a whip (which doesn't really make much sense to me) so you'd be able to use it for trips and such.