PDA

View Full Version : In game PvP

_felagund
2014-06-19, 02:32 PM
what do you think about non-lethal in game pvp combat? (like an unexpected tourney etc..)
should dm consider this option as a fun way to encourage his players to use/learn/optimize their skills? i fear some roles are not just meant for pvp and make the player less interested in his character, what do you think?

Jormengand
2014-06-19, 02:59 PM
Tournaments might work, but it depends what class everyone is. If you're a wizard, fighter, bard and healer, then the bard and healer aren't going to have fun fighting solo (not to mention that a single colour spray by the wizard is going to wreck any of the others at low levels, or he can use a different I Win button later on).

Maybe instead just set up a variety of challenges which require the use of the players' actual skills to complete, so that they're encouraged to use things they wouldn't normally.

D4rkh0rus
2014-06-19, 03:36 PM
Expanding on jormengand's comment. PvP in 3.5 is unbalanced to say the least. its rocket tag...

anyways, my suggestion would be, instead of a combat tournament, a skill tournament, in groups. say round 1, each group fights a giant worm (gladiator style), round 2, the survivors partake in a death maze filled with traps and stuff, and round 3, the survivors have to find or do something, and so on. until only 1 group is left.

No one is left out, and there will always be a point where everyone is necessary.

Honest Tiefling
2014-06-19, 03:52 PM
Depending on the inclinations of the characters, non-warriors such as wizards and bards could be used to drum up support/hatred in the audience for their warrior friend, or even outright cheating. Could work as PvP or non-PvP, really.

Ghen
2014-06-19, 04:17 PM
Maybe have like three different tourneys to enter, the Warrior's Cup, the Caster's Cup, and the Skill Cup. Have similar classes punch eachother's lights out.

YossarianLives
2014-06-19, 04:43 PM
My DM did something like this once. There was a wrestling match, A wizards duel (non-lethal spells only), A joust, A archery competition, And a melee fight with wooden weapons.

It wasn't that complicated. The joust was just two people rolling and the archery competition was just seeing who rolled the highest number. It wasn't terribly interesting but we had a good time with it and we got some money when our rogue won the archery competition.

Vizzerdrix
2014-06-19, 05:13 PM
I have a DM who starts every new campaign with a PvP battle just for fun. Winner gets bragging rights and a bit of extra cash. Everyone else gets a free healing and either a little extra cash or a very low level magic item.

Ghen
2014-06-19, 06:38 PM
I have a DM who starts every new campaign with a PvP battle just for fun. Winner gets bragging rights and a bit of extra cash. Everyone else gets a free healing and either a little extra cash or a very low level magic item.

I do a PVP battle when creating characters to play as. I'll usually make two or three character concepts that I like and have them all duke it out. I play as the winner. This helps if you are a very indecisive person, or if you just want something to do while you wait on the other players to make their character sheets (which they are usually slow at.):smalltongue:

ddude987
2014-06-19, 09:20 PM
I'll add a bit of a personal experience to the discussion.

One time the players wanted to kill something. Well they also wanted to fight club, because we had talked about watching fight club after DnD that night. So they found an arena underground club where the rules were nonlethal damage no weapons or armor. I know, I know, not totally balanced for everyone right? So what we did was anyone who didn't want to fight instead got to play the npc another player was fighting. The players actually had a lot of fun and everyone was able to participate in the PvP without any hard feelings or deaths.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-19, 09:59 PM
Depending on the inclinations of the characters, non-warriors such as wizards and bards could be used to drum up support/hatred in the audience for their warrior friend, or even outright cheating. Could work as PvP or non-PvP, really.

Heh, that reminds me of Colosso in Golden Sun. That could be fun.

Also, "in-game PvP"? Does anyone do "out-of-game PvP"? :smalleek:

Honest Tiefling
2014-06-20, 03:32 AM
Also, "in-game PvP"? Does anyone do "out-of-game PvP"? :smalleek:

When its time to decide whose paying for the beer and pizza, of course.

Alex12
2014-06-20, 09:34 AM
Ever since I've read the rules for them, I've wanted to try out the mageduel rules from Magic of Faerun. Only problem is that, since mageduels only do nonlethal damage, undead spellcasters pretty much automatically win.