PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with specifics on magic items

largo1337
2014-06-19, 05:10 PM
I'm DMing and Playing (under alternate DM) in a campain with lots of magic items, im running a homebrew class called cantripologist, and was wondering if i could do something like enchant 4 "rings" (actualy about the size of braclets) with continuous mage hand and unlimited at will launch bolt(spell compendium) and while consentrating have all four float around me and launch crossbow bolts at my enemies, im sure its up to DM discretion for the most part but id like to know some standard rules or regulations, i would concentrate because that is part of the mage hand spell if i didnt concentrate they would not float, i calculated it at about 5500 gold per "ring" (2750 doubled due to them not taking up a magic item slot), any thoughts?

NecessaryWeevil
2014-06-19, 05:18 PM
Well, my rules mastery is not the same league as that of others in this forum, but two problems spring to mind:

1) I don't think you can concentrate on more than one spell at a time, nor can you cast a spell while concentrating on another one.

2) You generally can't benefit from more than two ring-slot items at a time.

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 06:12 PM
hmm...I calculate 5k per ring:

.5 x 2000g x 1 for continuous Mage Hand (Duration Concentration should be a factor 1 multiplier) = 1000g
+ .5 x 2000g x 1 for Launch Bolt at will = 1000g; x1.5 for multiple effects = 1500g

sum is 2500g; x2 for not using a body slot = 5000g

where do I miss the 750g difference?

Edit:

Well, my rules mastery is not the same league as that of others in this forum, but two problems spring to mind:

1) I don't think you can concentrate on more than one spell at a time, nor can you cast a spell while concentrating on another one.

Important point. You would have to have the Swift Concentration skill trick (or a similar ability), to concentrate on Mage Hand as a swift action to be able to cast Launch Bolt from the item.
And even then, unless your homebrew cantrip class gets to cast multiple cantrips per round you would be limited to one Bolt.
Additionally this means you can only focus on one flying disk at a time.

Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.
This means activating a Sniping Hoverdisk (TM) is a standard action, since you cant have an item of continuous Launch Bolt. (lol)

Or you could make the disks intelligent, but that would certainly bump up the price...

moot, since its an unslotted flying disk circling his character

Slithery D
2014-06-19, 06:22 PM

They sound like slotless Ioun Stone analogs, not actual rings.

snailgosh
2014-06-19, 06:42 PM
They sound like slotless Ioun Stone analogs, not actual rings.
This actually sounds like a nice solution to the problem, simply enchant a dull grey Ioun Stone with Launch Bolt at will (2050g; 2075g if its ruled under applying a second effect) and refluff it to being a disk.

Edit: keep in mind a GM might want to set the price higher or disallow the item at all depending on the spell, to prevent shenanigans as Ring of continuous True Strike for 2000g.
You would basically get a nonmagic Light Crossbow with an 80ft. range increment that you can fire while having your hands free. Make of that what you want, I'd allow it.

largo1337
2014-06-19, 09:01 PM
This actually sounds like a nice solution to the problem, simply enchant a dull grey Ioun Stone with Launch Bolt at will (2050g; 2075g if its ruled under applying a second effect) and refluff it to being a disk.

Edit: keep in mind a GM might want to set the price higher or disallow the item at all depending on the spell, to prevent shenanigans as Ring of continuous True Strike for 2000g.
You would basically get a nonmagic Light Crossbow with an 80ft. range increment that you can fire while having your hands free. Make of that what you want, I'd allow it.

Thanks Snailgosh this helped a lot and lowered my price. My cross DM decided i can only have one ring for very 5lvl for balancing purposes. As for my class. I can cast multiple cantrips at once and as i am lvl 4 i can currently cast 8 cantrips at once (either stacked together or multiple kinds of cantrips or both) with a maximum of 14 cantrips per day its a fun class that gets much better. Right now i could launch 8 bolts at once once per day then six bolts at once but then be out of spells. I usually use more creative combs though. I also have gloves of cantrip battle ( right glove uses launch bolt. Left uses launch item. And it casts caltrops if i put my hands together). But those are each standard actions witch is why i asked about this. Because i don't use weapons just bolts so i don't get any betier combat wise without this. Thanks a lot everyone.

By the way cantripologist is a 3.5homebrew class available on dandwiki.com

largo1337
2014-06-19, 09:06 PM
And one of my other characters has a ring of continuous true strike actually. While iy next to guarantees a strike now we determined it would not always prove so useful. As it only applies to single strikes such as with a charge or attack of opportunity. So later on you have to choose between extra damage or extra chance to hit as it will not apply to a full attack. We are still torn as to weather it effects when using two weapon fighting. And either if it effects both hits as it is at highest attack bonus, one hit due to single strike iffyness. Or neither since it is in fact more than one attack roll

largo1337
2014-06-19, 09:12 PM
Oh and in calculating magic item price with similar effects the DMG states that the highest cost is x1 the second highest cost is x.75 and all next lowest are x.5 so mage hand 1000+ 750 launch bolt x2 for no body slot

snailgosh
2014-06-20, 05:48 AM
Oh and in calculating magic item price with similar effects the DMG states that the highest cost is x1 the second highest cost is x.75 and all next lowest are x.5 so mage hand 1000+ 750 launch bolt x2 for no body slot
Now that doesnt make much sense...if you had one ring for each Mage Hand and Launch Bolt, each ring would cost 1000g, but a ring with both of it is suddenly 1750g?

in the SRD it states if you add a property to an already magic item, you multiply the lower base cost by 1.5, then add the higher base price on top

Disregard that, you're right. I got mixed up with "multiple similar abilities" and "multiple different abilities". Activating different spells should be similar abilities.

My cross DM decided i can only have one ring for very 5lvl for balancing purposes. As for my class. I can cast multiple cantrips at once and as i am lvl 4 i can currently cast 8 cantrips at once (either stacked together or multiple kinds of cantrips or both) with a maximum of 14 cantrips per day its a fun class that gets much better. Right now i could launch 8 bolts at once once per day then six bolts at once but then be out of spells. I usually use more creative combs though. I also have gloves of cantrip battle ( right glove uses launch bolt. Left uses launch item. And it casts caltrops if i put my hands together). But those are each standard actions witch is why i asked about this.

By RAW activating the Disk still is a standard action and you'd be limited to one per round. All it does is make Launch Bolt not count against your daily maximum of cantrips.
Is your DM thinking of linking your Disks together to be activated by the same standard action, with the max number of Disks tied to your level? That could work...

largo1337
2014-06-20, 10:55 AM
Now that doesnt make much sense...if you had one ring for each Mage Hand and Launch Bolt, each ring would cost 1000g, but a ring with both of it is suddenly 1750g?

in the SRD it states if you add a property to an already magic item, you multiply the lower base cost by 1.5, then add the higher base price on top

Disregard that, you're right. I got mixed up with "multiple similar abilities" and "multiple different abilities". Activating different spells should be similar abilities.

Yeah ive been messing with item creation for about two weeks trying to think up creative yet balanced things to stay alive as a cantripologist is a rather squishy mage

By RAW activating the Disk still is a standard action and you'd be limited to one per round. All it does is make Launch Bolt not count against your daily maximum of cantrips.
Is your DM thinking of linking your Disks together to be activated by the same standard action, with the max number of Disks tied to your level? That could work...

Shes allowing it since regardless off my BAB going up i cant launch multiple bolts a round, (as my glove that launches bolts is essentialy my weapon) so the rings are "linked" to my glove and will fire when it does, they are to make up for lack of weapons in combat and the standard action rule, so i dont become useless in a fight if i run out of spells