PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Non wish based Pun-Pun's How do they work

Malroth
2014-06-19, 05:48 PM
I'm concidering a dragonwrought Kobald Seeking the path to absolute power via Manipulate form as a BBEG but was wanting to keep everything mechanicaly sound. Without Divine minion or Candle of invocation abuse, whats the easiest way to legitimately gain the Manipulate form ability and what if any limitations would the character have if he achieved this ability only an hour before the PC's arived to stop him?

icefractal
2014-06-19, 06:01 PM
I believe that the original method was a Kobold Psion (Egoist) with the Metamorphic Transfer feat.
Wizard with Assume Supernatural Ability might also work.

JeminiZero
2014-06-19, 07:13 PM
OK, I *think* the Sarruhk has 14 HD. So you can assume that form with an ML 14 Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm), which an Egoist 12 can achieve via Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel).

It should be possible to do this even earlier than 12, if you allow full Psi-Magic transparency, so that other items and spells which normally boost Caster level can be used to boost Manifester level.

Looking at the text, a Wizard actually does it slower, as Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) includes this clause:

The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level.

So even if a Wizard could get his caster level to 14, he still can't turn into a Sarruhk until he has 14 HD (whereas Metamorphosis only limits HD of form to manifester level).

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-19, 11:19 PM
Find and dominate a Sarrukah in its natural environment?

Psyren
2014-06-20, 09:30 AM
So even if a Wizard could get his caster level to 14, he still can't turn into a Sarruhk until he has 14 HD (whereas Metamorphosis only limits HD of form to manifester level).

Actually, your quote does mean that a wizard who boosts his CL above his character level can shapeshift into a form with more HD (so long as that form is 15 HD or less), just like a psion can.

kardar233
2014-06-20, 11:50 AM
Actually, your quote does mean that a wizard who boosts his CL above his character level can shapeshift into a form with more HD (so long as that form is 15 HD or less), just like a psion can.

The Hit Dice of the subject (in this case the Wizard) is below the HD of the form, so I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.

The fastest non-Wish Pun-Pun I know of is Divine Minion Wizard1/Master of Many Forms 3, (with Assume Supernatural Ability) which gets Manipulate Form at ECL 5.

Psyren
2014-06-20, 12:32 PM
The Hit Dice of the subject (in this case the Wizard) is below the HD of the form, so I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.

Ah, I misread - I thought "the subject" referred to the what you were turning into. Then yes, Polymorph caps you by your HD even if your CL is higher.

However, you can still get around that thanks to Inspire Greatness.

Malroth
2014-06-20, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with attempting to dominate a Skarkuah via Necrotic Dominate/Mother Cyst since its the plan with the most convoluted steps and thus easiest for the PC's to take notice of and potentially stop at the last minute.