PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Duskblade and Reserve feats

m149307
2014-06-19, 08:15 PM
Ok, I had a question. Say I had Shout (4th level spell, sonic) and I had Clap of Thunder (reserve feat, Complete Mage p. 40). Would I be able to add the benefit of the feat into the damage I do with Arcane Channeling? Here is the link (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/clap-of-thunder--350/) for Clap of Thunder. Please help me figure this out!

Kazudo
2014-06-19, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately no. Arcane channeling doesn't work that way. The melee touch attack you make via Clap of Thunder is made as a standard action, not an attack action or whatever normal attacks are classified as.

ngilop
2014-06-19, 08:29 PM
Ok, I had a question. Say I had Shout (4th level spell, sonic) and I had Clap of Thunder (reserve feat, Complete Mage p. 40). Would I be able to add the benefit of the feat into the damage I do with Arcane Channeling? Here is the link (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/clap-of-thunder--350/) for Clap of Thunder. Please help me figure this out!

Im not quite sure what you are trying to ask here?

the benefit of the feat is you cast sonci spells at +1 caster level

or are you asking wehter you can channel this feat through your arcane channeling? that which is a no since arcane channeling is for spells, reseve feats as clap of thunder is neither a spell nor is it a melle touch attack and it requires its own action ( a standard as the feat says)

most importantly is that reserve feast are supernatural ability not spells so again arcane channeling will not work with them.

Pluto!
2014-06-19, 09:23 PM
They're not spells, so the abilities don't channel, and Clap isn't a Touch effect, so even if they were spells, that particular mix still wouldn't channel. confused Clap with the lightning bolt one.

But the feats are pretty terrible for Duskblades as-is, so personally, if a player asked for that house rule, I wouldn't think twice before approving it.

m149307
2014-06-19, 09:25 PM
Ok, thank you everyone for clearing it up. And Pluto, I would definitely think twice... since if it were me and we were level 9, I would be able to deal 36d6 in a round. :cool:

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-19, 10:25 PM
Ok, thank you everyone for clearing it up. And Pluto, I would definitely think twice... since if it were me and we were level 9, I would be able to deal 36d6 in a round. :cool:
Given how many spells/day a Duskblade has, and how he can get 5d6 electricity out of a first-level spell?

m149307
2014-06-19, 10:28 PM
Indeed. 36d6 if that feat were allowed, 32d6 without it. As of this build right now, at least.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-19, 11:14 PM
Indeed. 36d6 if that feat were allowed, 32d6 without it. As of this build right now, at least.
Given that a Duskblade can have, at most, 5th level spells, how are you getting more damage from the feat than the spell?

Kazudo
2014-06-20, 10:26 AM
The problem is that this is a nova build which is only really doing to work X times per day, then you're spent on many if not most of your resources. Now, I mean, if that's what you're GOING for, then by all means, go ahead. It's just though that usability over time suffers the higher that die pool goes up.

Basically speaking, that one guy's getting pretty thoroughly owned, and maybe X-1 more, but a horde of folks will eventually run you out of resources. Not to mention that any spells you have stored in the weapon are gone after they're used and have to be recast into it again which spends an action.