PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Phobia demons (An interesting idea, PEACH)

inuyasha
2014-06-19, 08:20 PM
I've been wanting to get back into homebrewing for quite a while, I miss you guys a lot :smallsmile:. I found this website (http://phobialist.com/reverse.html) And I thought it'd be really cool if I (or we if anyone wanted to contribute, I'm OK with that) made a creature out of each phobia, probably a demon or undead, resulting as either the reanimated remains of someone who died from it, or someone who was tortured a lot with it in the abyss, but any type of creature is acceptable of course, just something that completely IS that phobia, here's an example of one:

Chirophobia
Definition: Fear of hands.
Chiros

Size/Type:
Large Outsider (Evil, Chaotic)

Hit Dice:
9d8+63 (103 hp)

Initiative:
+6

Speed:
10 ft (2 squares), fly 40ft(Perfect)

Armor Class:
18 (-1 size,+2 dex, +7 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16

Base Attack/Grapple:
+9/+20

Attack:
slam +15 melee (1d8+7)

Full Attack:
5 slams +15 melee (1d8+7)

Space/Reach:
10ft/5ft

Special Attacks:
Grabby, constrict, improved grab

Special Qualities:
DR 10/good, Regeneration 1 (good), Spell like abilities

Saves:
Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +5

Abilities:
Str 24, Dex 15, Con 24, Int 7, Wis 9, Cha 3

Skills:
Climb +7 (+9 ropes), Disable Device +12, Escape Artist +2 (+4 ropes), Move Silently +14, Open Lock +16, Perform (miming) +8, Sleight of Hand +14, Use Rope +14

Feats:
Cleave, Improved Initiative, Nimble fingers, Power attack

Environment:
A chaotic evil aligned plane

Organization:
Solitary

Challenge Rating:

Treasure:
None

Alignment:
Always Chaotic evil

Advancement:
10-14 Large 15-24 huge

Level Adjustment:
--

The creature before you is a massive humanoid creature that is made entirely of flailing hands of varying race and size, with two huge 6 clawed hands of unknown origins being used to support it's flailing mass in the air
Chiros are demons made from the corrupted spirits of those who died while in a grapple, within a loved ones arms, or from a super bitch slap from an angry monk. They are used by demon lords and powerful demons to go scare humans and for perverse and unmentionable entertainments
Combat:

Constrict (Ex):
On a successful grapple check, a Chiros can deal 1d6+7 bludgeoning damage

Improved grab
To use this ability, a Chiros must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Grabby (Ex):
Chiros can grapple and constrict up to 4 people at a time, this number increased by 1 for every 2 HD the Chiros gains, round down.

Spell like abilities:
At will:Greater mage hand*, launch item*, launch bolt*
3/day interposing hand

*Greater mage hand, launch item, and launch bolt are in the spell compendium

Feel free to contribute and critique, I will keep a list of contributions below

Also, just a suggestion but not a rule, I would like to refrain from making monsters out of extremely common phobias like darkness, clowns, and bugs.

Chiros (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17653908&postcount=1), fear of hands
Scopophula (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17663616&postcount=5), fear being stared at
Taphelox (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17663797&postcount=8), fear of being buried alive

dragonjek
2014-06-20, 10:41 AM
Were you inspired at all by the Lesser Finger Horror (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110325230815/goblinscomic/images/b/b6/MrFingers.jpg) from Goblins?

That aside, how about making one for arachibutyrophobia (the fear of peanut butter sticking to the top of your mouth) or taphophobia (the fear of being buried alive)?

inuyasha
2014-06-20, 10:50 AM
Were you inspired at all by the Lesser Finger Horror (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110325230815/goblinscomic/images/b/b6/MrFingers.jpg) from Goblins?

I don't know what that picture is from but I'm glad it exists :smallbiggrin:. I've never seen that before. I think I'll go ahead and do the buried alive one next

Debihuman
2014-06-21, 10:43 AM
I like it but it seems to be lacking oomph.

I recommend adding Improved Grab special ability, Weapon Focus (Grapple) and Improved Grapple feats. Make them bonus feats.

Wouldn't they try to choke the life out of someone rather than engulf them? I recommend changing Engulf to Constrict. It also works Improved Grab.

Improved Grab
If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Constrict
A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

LOTRfan
2014-06-21, 11:04 PM
Demon, Scopophula
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Demon, Evil)
Hit Dice: 11d8+33 (82 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+12 natural, +1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed ---
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+13
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +13 melee (1d4+2), and 3 Bites +12 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Profane Gaze, Unrelenting Gaze, Spell-like Abilities, Summon Demon
Special Qualities: All-Around Vision, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, Immunity to Electricity and Poison, Resistance to Acid, Cold, and Fire 10, Spell Resistance 17, Telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +11
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 9, Will 18, Cha 13
Skills: Balance +15, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (The Planes) +13, Listen +24, Search +17, Spot +24, Survival +18
Feats: Alertness(B), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Squad (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 12-22 HD (Medium); 23-33 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -----

In the darkness, all that is visible are the three heads of a voracious beast; one appears to be the head of a dragon, the center a naked mole rat, and the final a decaying human head. Each face has mismatching eyes, but between the three each eye has an identical counterpart. A tail also swings by, tipped with a red crystalline ball that also seems to act as an evil eye.

If there is any demon that represents the impossibility of hiding from true evil, that demon would be the scopophula. Scopophulas, also known as staring demons, are chimerical fiends who take great pleasure in watching their victims slowly lose their sanity. Their most terrifying ability may very well be the odd method in which they possess mortals; while they do not seize control of their victim’s bodies, they are capable of instilling a sense of fear that never quite goes away. Victims of their relentless gaze find themselves feeling as if they are constantly being watched, often culminating to the point where they can no longer bear being viewed by other people. The feel of panic is like a drug to scopophulas, and as a result victims rarely can get through even a day without being overwhelmed by an irrational fear of eyes.

Combat
Scopophulas are more than capable of tearing and rending enemies, but they prefer to keep mortals alive. They would rather take possession of souls and torment them from afar.

All-Around Vision (Ex): Scopophulas whip their heads and tail around endlessly in combat, giving them all around vision, making it impossible to catch them unawares under normal conditions. They cannot be flanked, and are never caught flat-footed.

Profane Gaze (Su): All creatures who come within 120 ft. of a scopophula must make a Will save (DC 21), or become disconcerted as the creature’s eyes follow it. Those who fail are treated as shaken for as long as they remain within this range. This is a supernatural fear affect, and does not end until the victim leaves the range or has a remove fear spell cast on himself (and even then, the remove fear must surpass the fiend’s spell resistance). The save DC is Wisdom-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Spell-like Abilities: Constant- True Seeing. 1/day – Greater Teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only). Caster Level 11th.

Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day, a scopophula may attempt to summon 3d8 Dretches or another scopophula with a 35% chance of success. This ability is equivalent to a 4th level spell.

Unrelenting Gaze (Su): Once per day, as a free action, a scopophula may mark a single target for more extensive surveillance. The intended victim must already be under the effect if its Profane Gaze ability, and is entitled to a saving throw with the same DC as its other gaze ability. If the victim makes the save, the victim is still under the effect of the Profane Gaze but is unaffected by this ability. Should the victim fail, he continues to suffer the effects of the Profane Gaze even after fleeing the required distance. This victim is now permanently ‘held’ by the scopophula, and constantly feels as if he is being watched by nonexistent eyes. Protection from Evil and similar effects suppress this effect for their duration, after which the victim becomes shaken again. An Exorcism or a similar effect is necessary to make an unwilling scopophula release its victim. A scopophula may only affect a number of creatures whose combined HD may not exceed its own. In order to take on another victim, it must first release an old one. Once per day per victim, a scopophula may cast a status spell (Caster Level 11th). In addition to the normal effects, the casting of this spell results in the victim becoming panicked for 1d6 rounds, though they do not know the source of this panic.

Skills: Scopophulas have a +4 racial bonus on Spot, Search, and Listen checks.

inuyasha
2014-06-21, 11:47 PM
Fixed up the Chiros, working on the buried alive demon as I type, LOTRfan I like the Scopophula! But I'm not sure what it's a phobia of, I'd like to know so I can put it in the table of contents :smallwink:

Oh duh, fear of being stared at...still, nice demon!

LOTRfan
2014-06-21, 11:57 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I got the name Scopophula from scopophobia, the fear of being seen/stared at.

I think I might do Divine Monophobia -fear of being cut off from God(s)- next.

inuyasha
2014-06-21, 11:58 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I got the name Scopophula from scopophobia, the fear of being seen/stared at.

I think I might do Divine Monophobia -fear of being cut off from God(s)- next.

Cool! Thanks for contributing!

Taphephobia
Fear of being buried alive
Taphelox

[td]Size/Type:
Huge Outsider (Evil, Chaotic)

Hit Dice:
14d8+112 (175 hp)

Initiative:

Speed:
30 ft (6 squares), burrow 20ft

Armor Class:
23 (-2 size,-1 dex, +16 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 23

Base Attack/Grapple:
+14/+31

Attack:
slam +21 melee (2d6+9) or Clod +11 ranged (1d8+0)

Full Attack:
2 slams +21 melee (2d6+9) and Clod +11 ranged (1d8+0)

Space/Reach:
15ft,10ft

Special Attacks:
Burial

Special Qualities:
DR 10/good, Gravely healing, Summon gravestones, Amorphous

Saves:
Fort +19, Ref +8, Will +11

Abilities:
Str 28, Dex 8, Con 26, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 4

Skills:
Balance +1, Intimidate +17, Jump +28, Knowledge (nature) +0, Search +15, Spot +17, Survival +17 (+19 following tracks), Tumble +18

Feats:
Skill focus (Intimidate), Iron will, Great fortitude, Power attack, Blind-fight

Environment:
Chaotic evil planes

Organization:
Solitary

Challenge Rating:

Treasure:
Standard, no parchments, papers, or leathers

Alignment:
Always CE

Advancement:
15-21 Huge, 22-28 Gargantuan

Level Adjustment:
--

Over the hill arises a gigantic, barely humanoid mass of rotting, moulded grave dirt. You watch aghast as is waves it's clublike arm to a person, drawing them into it's "hand" and filling their mouth with it's own substance
The Taphelox is a giant demon composed of the corrupted souls of dozens of people who were buried alive and died there.
Combat
The clods from a Taphelox have a range of 80ft.
Amorphous (Ex)
A Taphelox is immune to critical hits, sneak attacks, and flanking due to it's body being made of grave dirt

Summon Gravestones (Su)
Once per day, with a 50% chance of success, the Taphelox can summon 1d4 Fiendish large earth elementals

Gravely healing (Su)
When in an area where at least one person per two HD of the Taphelox have been buried, the Taphelox gains fast healing 4.

Burial (Ex)
When hit by a Taphelox's slam attack, a target must make a fortitude save (DC 25, con based) or be paralyzed from being very thickly covered in abyssal grave dirt, until bathed entirely in holy water or until an escape artist check is made (DC 15+ the amount by which they failed their save)

Buried alive demon is done, any more requests or do I just pick one at random?

inuyasha
2014-06-22, 10:02 AM
Just a little alert, I'm going to do fear of false statements next, Mythophobia :)

and also the fact that I'm getting a little surgery on my legs done tomorrow (like the one I had just about a year ago, which is why I fell out of homebrewing :smallyuk:) but it won't be nearly as long as that last one. Just don't be surprised if I don't post for a bit, and please keep this thread going. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2014-06-22, 02:07 PM
Let's see. Fear of heights: at will defenestrating sphere :smalltongue:

inuyasha
2014-06-25, 05:42 PM
*whew* barely just now was able to scoot over to computer over obstacles and such. I haven't really been able to work on the false prophecies demon, anybody still going to contribute to this thread?

LOTRfan
2014-07-23, 10:46 AM
Fear of Silence. This is loosely based off of the Gentlemen (http://vickster51corner.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/buffy.jpg) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sedatiphula
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Tanar'ri, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 9d8+9 (49 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 20 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 22 (+1 Dex, +1 Dodge, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+7
Attack: Dancing short sword +7 melee (1d6-2)
Full Attack: Dancing short sword +7/+1 melee (1d6-2), and 2 claws +7 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of Silence, Dancing Weapon, Spell-like Abilities, Summon Demon
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/---, Extreme Vulnerability to Sonic, Immunity to electricity and poison, Resistance to Acid, Cold, and Fire 10, Spell Resistance 21, Telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +11
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 15
Skills: Balance +13, Disable Device +13, Hide +13, Intimidate +14, Search +13, Sleight of Hand +13, Spot +15, Survival +15, Use Rope +13
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Weapon Finesse
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Gentlemen’s Meeting (4-6 plus 8-10 Dretches)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -----

This creature vaguely looks like an elderly human with gray flesh, though its wicked smile takes up most of its face and its beady eyes are a bright yellow. It floats four or five feet off the ground, and as it approaches a small sword leaves its hilt and starts to orbit around its body.

Sedatiphulas are demons of silence, creatures that sneak up on targets without any sign of approach and perform their gruesome work. Legends speak of small groups of these creatures preying upon entire towns, restraining victims and removing organs as their hapless victims watch. Working in complete and utter silence, these demons operate with a brutal efficiency without worry of awakening other potential victims, even if those unfortunate creatures live in the same house.

This particular breed of demon is not a common one, as they are not particularly powerful and are not strong enough to be influential demonic leaders or valuable servants. Like shadow demons, silent demons are often summoned and bound by mortals to serve as assassins. Sedatiphulas are more likely to summon allies than other demons are, treating their dretch servants as valuable (but ultimately expendable) servants and shields from melee.

Combat
Although physically frail compared to other demons, sedatiphulas rarely like direct combat anyway; they prefer to mutilate their victims, demobilizing them and torturing them slowly. They take greatest pleasure in doing this while the victim’s friends or family is only a short distance away. It enjoys watching its victims writhe and vainly attempt to scream for help.

These demons have claws, but they are not proficient with them.

Aura of Silence (Su): A sedatiphula radiates a 50 ft. aura of silence. Upon entering the affected area, a creature must make a Will save (DC 21), or be utterly unable to make any sounds while within the area. Should the creature succeed, he must continue to make these saves every round until he fails. Once failure has occurred, a creature must leave the area to make sound again. The save DC is Wisdom-based, and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Dancing Weapon (Su): Any weapon that the sedatiphula wields is treated as if having the dancing weapon property, except that it is constantly hovering around the creature rather than being limited to four rounds at a time. Should another creature take possession of the demon’s weapon, the weapon loses this quality.

Extreme Vulnerability to Sonic (Ex): Sedatiphulas take double damage from sonic attacks. Additionally, whenever a sedatiphula hears a creature shout, it must make a Will save (DC 20) or take 2d4 damage at the end of the round. Shouting is a free action, and while additional shouts in the same round don’t increase this damage, every additional creature who spends a free action on their turn shouting adds 2 to the DC. If a sedatiphula dies from sonic damage, its body explodes in a bloody mess.

Spell-like Abilities: At will – Ghoul Touch (DC 15), Slow (DC 16). 3/day – Knock, Greater Invisibility (self only). Save DCs are Wisdom-based, Caster level 9th.

Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day, a sedatiphula may summon 2d6 dretches with a 50% chance of success.

inuyasha
2014-07-23, 03:44 PM
Fear of Silence. This is loosely based off of the Gentlemen (http://vickster51corner.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/buffy.jpg) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sedatiphula
-snip-

I keep meaning to resurrect this thread and I thank your contribution to this project, I always loved the gentlemen and I really like this monster! I keep forgetting to make demons and I keep getting distracted by stuff that comes up. I haven't homebrewed a lot and this sucks :smallfrown:. I'll probably make another one soon though hopefully :)

evtrax
2020-11-19, 10:20 AM
(my first post)

do you know about the Sahkil from pathfinder. There a race of fiends made from rouge psycopomps that are the embodiment of fears. some minor adjustments and these demons could fit perfectly with the inhabitents of xibalba, lurking in the etherial plane.