PDA

View Full Version : character build question

Graymage
2014-06-19, 08:22 PM
Long time lurker, and I have a quandary, My group were at level 3, running the shackeled city mega adventure 1-20.

My previous character a dragonwrought kobold totemist died. I have to make a new character. Current group is a bit big. Crusader,Bard,Rogue,ranger(archer) Cleric going Shadowbane Stalker and a Paladin going shadowbane inquisitor.

As you can see we have plate lots of it and a ton of stealth, no full caster. I am leaning toward a warforged artificer.

Scores rolled 12,18,16,14,16,15. all books and dragon material is allowed. only restraint to excessive min/maxing is the required "were here to have fun"

So I am asking for help from you all.

Gildedragon
2014-06-19, 08:39 PM
Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 15
Con: 18 (16+2)
Int: 18
Wis: 10 (12-2)
Cha: 12 (14-2)

Flip Dex and Str if you'd rather a ranged character

Take the warforged sub level at 1

If flaws are allowed, take one or two and get:
A body feat (if you fancy it: adamantine, unarmored, and psiforged are all cool)
Extraordinary Artisan

now ask the DM if PF traits could be allowed, or if you can take the Pragmatic Activator Trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/pragmatic-activator) as a feat.

if you can: swap wis and cha.

Graymage
2014-06-19, 09:19 PM
those were the numbers I rolled I can put them where I want, flaws are allowed as is everything in 3.5 and dragon magazine.

Gildedragon
2014-06-19, 09:37 PM
The inattentive and individualist flaws are well suited to your character as you a) won't care much for perception skills and b) you will make your own equipment.

holywhippet
2014-06-19, 10:09 PM
The inattentive and individualist flaws are well suited to your character as you a) won't care much for perception skills and b) you will make your own equipment.

Yeah, but picking flaws that won't handicap your character in any significant way is the first step to min/maxing and DM rage.

Aegis013
2014-06-19, 10:46 PM
Yeah, but picking flaws that won't handicap your character in any significant way is the first step to min/maxing and DM rage.

Depends on the DM. I encourage players to pick flaws that won't handicap their character in any significant way. Having by far and away the highest system mastery at my group means my players can typically power game their hearts out and I can still provide a challenge. It gives me the chance to utilize my ability to make create things in the system without the possibility of throwing a DM into disarray (something I have accidentally done after a DM assured me several times he could handle the character. After I told him exactly what it was capable of and how I intended to use and used it).

They still don't play optimally enough for me at times.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-19, 10:53 PM
Also, while those flaws won't handicap the character (something that is not required, by the way), they will affect him. Everyone needs some perception abilities because it matters for surprise attacks. And not being to use items you don't create yourself means that if it gets sundered or stolen, you can't replace it without (at least) days of work.

Graymage
2014-06-21, 10:32 AM
which is better taking a feat for Mage's Spectacles or dropping a level in incarnate and pick up a few soulmelds?

other than that I will go with what you all suggested, just wondering about that part.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-21, 11:33 AM
Wait, what kind of artificer are you going for? The standard archetypes are meleeficer, archerficer, blastificer, buffificer, and hordeficer. If one of the last three, put a 16 into Charisma rather than Strength/Dexterity.

Anyway, the feat is probably a better option. Like regular casters, you don't want to lose artificer levels. This is especially true if you can retrain it once you get other boosts and can take 10.

Graymage
2014-06-21, 11:41 AM
my options are archerficer (bow or crossbow), blastificer, buffificer and some horde but mostly ranged pets. as I listed off my group were heavy in melee plate and rogue like characters.

this is to provide the full caster and bolster our ranged options.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-21, 02:14 PM
Okay. The stat layout I'd use is

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 14 + 2 = 16
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom 12 - 2 = 10
Charisma 16 - 2 = 14

You definitely need the 18 in Intelligence, but serving as the primary caster you'll be making a lot of UMD checks in combat, so the extra point from Charisma helps. And since you won't be in combat, you can afford a slightly lower Constitution. The 15 goes in Strength because it's the only stat that benefits from having an increase from an even to an odd.

Once you get Extraordinary and Legendary Artisan (and Magical Artisan tied to Extraordinary artisan, if your DM can handle that), I'd suggest getting metamagic feats. Extend, Chain, and Persist are good for buffing, reach just in general, and Fell Drain is fun for guaranteed negative levels at a cost of 18.75 GP a pop.

Oddman80
2014-06-21, 05:03 PM

If a real person has an inherent flaw in themselves, it is rare that they would choose to do something with there life that would cause them constant distress do to that flaw, if they can be great and wonderful, and happy doing some other thing -where that flaw does not seem to affect them in the least. No?

Why would that be something a dm would get mad at. You are a frail being, and you aren't the party tank??? How dare you!

Graymage
2014-06-21, 05:05 PM
plus the 2 flaws that cut my attack bonus by 2, I can get those artisan feats, but should I grab the spectacles or go straight for Extend Spell? for level 3 feat.

Also for future reference how good is the Tools of War substitution at 4th, and the 5th level one?

Jeff the Green
2014-06-21, 05:42 PM
Are you going to be able to retrain it? If yes, absolutely get the spectacles. If not, well, I'm still leaning toward the spectacles.

Without them you've got 6 ranks + 2 Charisma + 4 Synergy (you do have Decipher Script and Spellcraft at at least 5 ranks, right?) + 3 (skill enhancement, not always) + 2 masterwork tool (maybe). = +12-17 for. CL 3 scroll you need to hit 23, which you'd do 50-75% of the time. Mage's Spectacles would up that to +16-21 and 70-95%. You're going to have to factor in how high you expect to go. At higher levels Mage's Spectacles will be redundant, so if you expect to spend a lot of time at mid-high levels and won't be able to retrain, you might consider having a little trouble activating items now in exchange for another feat then.

Graymage
2014-06-21, 05:54 PM
artificers don't get decipher script.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-21, 05:58 PM
Huh. That's silly. Okay, reduce the bonuses by 2 and the percentages by 10%.