PDA

View Full Version : Books Random line stuck in my head, can't place where it is from.

Gnoman
2014-06-19, 09:33 PM
I have a fragmented line from a book, and cannot figure out what that book is. It is something like "They cannot believe [special kind of blade or metal] never dulls. THey play at sharpening it, but succeed only in ruining a great many whetstones."

Any help?

Feytalist
2014-06-20, 03:26 AM
Whoa, that sounds really familiar.

I have two possibilities, based on books I recently read. The first is from the Malazan series, if you've read that. It could be about the obsidian swords of the Imass, which are said to never dull. I can't remember a line like that, but hey. It's a huge series.

The second is a bit more obscure. Have you read The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence? The main character has some sort of elder blade (which we later find out is something a lot more mundane), which is also said to never need sharpening. In the first book (Prince of Thorns) the sword gets taken from him for a bit, and I think something like that line gets said.

Arslan230
2014-06-20, 05:42 AM
I am also finding its solution.

Gnoman
2014-06-20, 10:08 AM
Whoa, that sounds really familiar.

I have two possibilities, based on books I recently read. The first is from the Malazan series, if you've read that. It could be about the obsidian swords of the Imass, which are said to never dull. I can't remember a line like that, but hey. It's a huge series.

The second is a bit more obscure. Have you read The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence? The main character has some sort of elder blade (which we later find out is something a lot more mundane), which is also said to never need sharpening. In the first book (Prince of Thorns) the sword gets taken from him for a bit, and I think something like that line gets said.

Afraid those can't be it, as I've never read either, although I likely will. I'm also certain it isn't Valeryan steel from A Song Of Ice And Fire, because that's what I'm reading now, and is what reminded me of the other line in the first place.

Kitten Champion
2014-06-20, 10:13 AM
The Wheel of Time has a line very similar to that. The power-wrought blades never dull, but those who've obtained them simply can't believe that and wear whetstones down futilely.

DukeGod
2014-06-20, 10:24 AM
It's from the second book of the Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt, right at Chapter 1. I just went and checked it

Gnoman
2014-06-20, 10:27 AM
That makes perfect sense.

Feytalist
2014-06-20, 10:38 AM
It's from the second book of the Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt, right at Chapter 1. I just went and checked it

Well that was obvious.

I've also recently reread that. Go figure.