PDA

View Full Version : Activate a wand quietly

Renen
2014-06-19, 10:19 PM
How would I go about activating a wand without being heard?

Crake
2014-06-19, 11:01 PM
How would I go about activating a wand without being heard?

Cast zone of silence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfSilence.htm) around yourself beforehand

(its a bard 4 spell, but beguilers from phb2 get it as a 3rd level spell)

Renen
2014-06-20, 02:06 PM
Hey thanks!

Curmudgeon
2014-06-20, 05:32 PM
Zone of Silence will prevent the spell from being triggered. Zone of Silence will not.

Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken.
spoken
-verb

1. a past participle of speak.
speak
 -verb (used without object)

1. to utter words or articulate sounds with the ordinary voice; talk: He was too ill to speak.

utter
-verb (used with object)

1. to give audible expression to; speak or pronounce: unable to utter her feelings; Words were uttered in my hearing.
audible
-adjective

1. capable of being heard; loud enough to be heard; actually heard.
If you can't be heard, it isn't spoken. The spell trigger word must be spoken for the spell to be triggered.

Kazudo
2014-06-20, 05:41 PM
Stand behind a doorway and cast silent portal on it. I think that's the spell anyway.

Renen
2014-06-20, 08:49 PM
Zone of Silence will prevent the spell from being triggered.
If you can't be heard, it isn't spoken. The spell trigger word must be spoken for the spell to be triggered.

Oh but you CAN be heard. By a fly on your shoulder that is within the bubble of the spell. The wand can also hear you. It just so happens that people 10 feet away cant hear you. But that doesnt make any difference does it? (Because similarly you cant be heard by things miles away)

Curmudgeon
2014-06-20, 10:13 PM
Oh but you CAN be heard. By a fly on your shoulder that is within the bubble of the spell. The wand can also hear you.
You're quite right. Somehow I had Silence in mind, even though Zone of Silence was clearly stated. Zone of Silence will work as long as the people you're trying to not disturb are more than 10' away.

Thank you for the correction.