PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Step vs Ki Dodge

Aximili
2007-02-23, 11:21 PM
Ok, this one has bugged me for quite some time.

The ghost step ability renders the ninja invisible for one round.
The ki dodge ability (aquired 4 levels later) grants him concealment (20% miss chance) for one round.

They both cost the same and have the save activation time. Except that ghost step grants you full concealment (50%) as is gained earlier.

So what's the point with ki dodge? Is it there exclusively to bypass the see invisibility spell?

Dhavaer
2007-02-23, 11:24 PM
Pretty much just to beat See Invisibility, yeah.

TheOOB
2007-02-23, 11:40 PM
If you are allready invisible they do work well together, so enemies will only have an approx 40% chance of hitting you.

Dhavaer
2007-02-23, 11:42 PM
If you are allready invisible they do work well together, so enemies will only have an approx 40% chance of hitting you.

I don't think multiple miss chance stack. You just use the best one that applies.

Aximili
2007-02-23, 11:59 PM
I don't think multiple miss chance stack. You just use the best one that applies.
In this case they surely don't (or at least shouldn't), since both miss chances come from lack of visibility.
Ki dodge either makes you blurry, turns you into a faint outline, or slightly displaces your image (or something like that). None of the above should have any benefit if the opponent can't see you in the first place.

But I think there are special cases in which multiple miss chances should be applied. For example:
The miss chance from the blink spell comes not only from concealment, but also from the fact you might not be on this plane when the blow comes. It would be logical to increase the miss chance when you are invisible, since now it's not only about hitting at the right moment, but also about hitting where you are.

Problems start when you consider that part of the blink's 50% miss chance comes from concealment, which should not stack with the invisivility's full concealment. (Though a simple 20% miss roll followed by a 50% miss roll seems to do the trick for me)

TheOOB
2007-02-24, 12:20 AM
Ack, I thougt Ki Dodge granted a miss chance by making you party etheral, my bad.

Miss chances never stack, but multiple miss chances can apply to the same attack if they come from different sources, for example you only get your best miss chance from concealment, but if you have another miss chance from another source your opponent must roll two d100s to hit you.