PDA

View Full Version : Let's treat the booked classes/feats etc. as if they were homebrew [3.5]

Teapot Salty
2014-06-19, 11:53 PM
Hey guys. The homebrew forum is great, proposal and critique, construction and criticism. Evaluation. So, on this thread, let's treat the printed sources as if they were homebrew? For example, let's say the monk didn't exist, and I posted it, how would you guys respond? Things like that. Thanks, and as always, go nuts.

Aegis013
2014-06-19, 11:58 PM
Like heck anybody is gonna read all of those spells. Make Arcane/vancian casting subsystem smaller. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2014-06-20, 12:25 AM
Fighter
Seriously? Feats aren't a class feature. This has got to be the laziest class design I've ever seen.

Sorcerer
:smallannoyed: I take that back. This is the laziest class design ever. You don't get to take someone else's class, delay the features by a level (or strip them out) and then give it some dragon-colored paint and pass it off as your own.

A Tad Insane
2014-06-20, 12:26 AM
You put no effort into the sorcerer or cleric, did you? They literally have all their 2 class features at level one.

*half a sword-sage*

Edit: (truenamers) This, this right here is why people hate homebrew. Did anyone even test it? Like, at all? Great fluff but srsly, this is disgraceful. The binder is cool though.

Metahuman1
2014-06-20, 12:30 AM
Three hundred + spells in just the first book?

And the classes that can cast those spells get to make gear for half cost?

Are you actively out to spit in the faces of anyone who wants to be Arthur or Lancelot or Gallahad rather then Merlin? Conan or Aragon or Gimli or Legolas rather then Gandalf?

Teapot Salty
2014-06-20, 12:32 AM
I think this thread might lead to inspiring some helpful homebrew.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-20, 12:34 AM
I think this thread might lead to inspiring some helpful homebrew.

Eh, there's already plenty of fixes (and "fixes") on the homebrew board. What else would this inspire?

ben-zayb
2014-06-20, 04:22 AM
*looks at the monk*

"Ok... where do I start..."

Seppo87
2014-06-20, 04:43 AM
All good saves, 2d10 base damage, higher AC and more attacks than a fighter? This monk thing is broken.

Endril
2014-06-20, 04:52 AM
I think the Sarrukh's abilities need nerfed.

Endril
2014-06-20, 04:56 AM
I think I see what you're doing here, and I was thinking of sharing some more opinions, such as full base attack for monk or cap druid spells at level 6 like bard, but hasn't that already been done by the tiers? You could just list all the tier 1/2 classes and say "weaken these", and "strengthen" tier 5/6, right?

Svata
2014-06-20, 04:57 AM
These initiator classes look nice. They have more to do than just full-attack all the time. People might freak out about the fact that you organized the manouvres like spells typically are, but I like it, as it makes it simpler to learn when one already knows how spellcasting works. Also, the Swordsage could use a better way of recovering manouvres, and you should redo progression of when everyone gets them, because if it was delayed one level, you could get the ones a level higher. Also, I like that non-initiators advance IL by 1/2. Finally, something that encourages multiclassing, but also mainly sticking to one class, rather than requiring dozens of dips for competence.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-20, 05:04 AM
Incarnum

So, I think I like this. I'm just not sure, because I'm not entirely sure how it works.

How do I put this? Did you have that "Voice, Word Choice, etc." thing in school? Yeah. This gets a 1 in Organization.

peacenlove
2014-06-20, 05:49 AM
Paladin (Core only):
This class is very front loaded, a 2 or 4 (at best) level dip.

Shadowcaster (without Marmell's fixes):
So many typos and errors :smallannoyed: Also some contradictions about the adaptaiton of this class. I suggest you re-read what you wrote.
Why so many restrictions about what feats to take and interactions with other material?
Spell list is woefully short, with no ways to expand it and lacking in general utility. Also consider giving him more durability, because as written, he can't contribute meaningfully at 4 per day standard d&d encounter model.

Hexblade (without Mearls fixes):
It is as you fear the power level of arcane gishes. Please consider a more generous spellcasting ability, as well as other abilities that reduce MAD.

Cicciograna
2014-06-20, 06:02 AM
Looking at the monk:

This is a class worth taking up to the 20th level. Look at all those attacks! And the class features, it's choke full!

With a box
2014-06-20, 06:05 AM
wizard

Am I read a homebrewed deity, am'nt I?

squiggit
2014-06-20, 10:37 AM
Wizard: Bonus feats aren't class features and while spells are nice, they can't be the only thing you build your class on.

Sorcerer: Ok look, when I said bonus feats weren't good class features I didn't mean get rid of EVERYTHING and tack on a couple extra spells/day. Bonus feats can be fine. It's okay to include some as long as the class still has its own identity

Fighter: Ok what the hell.

These initiator classes look nice. They have more to do than just full-attack all the time. People might freak out about the fact that you organized the manouvres like spells typically are, but I like it, as it makes it simpler to learn when one already knows how spellcasting works. Also, the Swordsage could use a better way of recovering manouvres, and you should redo progression of when everyone gets them, because if it was delayed one level, you could get the ones a level higher. Also, I like that non-initiators advance IL by 1/2. Finally, something that encourages multiclassing, but also mainly sticking to one class, rather than requiring dozens of dips for competence.

Also why the hell did you give two out of the three base classes shiny capstones but not the Crusader? Seems like a contradictory design thought there.

Oh and buff stone dragon.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-20, 10:47 AM
*looks at Sorcerer* :smallfurious:

what......i dont even........ GET OVER HERE SO I CAN SLAP YOU!

I mean at least the Cleric gets Turn undead and a bunch or Armor Profs, what does the Sorc get? a freakin familiar. WOW. (must......inject.....more.....sarcasm)

mr_odd
2014-06-20, 10:48 AM
Can we just spend a couple of minutes to discuss the raging bard problem here.

Seppo87
2014-06-20, 11:21 AM
Wait, did anybody realize that this druid guy completely outshines raging barbarians when wildshaping?
Dude, what were you smoking?

Blackhawk748
2014-06-20, 12:14 PM
obviously something grown by a druid

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 12:37 PM
"so, you're saying there are only really like, 4 weapons worth using if we aren't wasting a feat on exotic weapon prof?"

Seriously, anything without max crit range, X4 crit damage, or reach, what's the point of using?

"ok, so if i want to make a potion, instead of finding herbs or grinding up dragon claws or something... i cast a spell in a bottle? that is super boring."

Alex12
2014-06-20, 12:42 PM
Okay, I get where you're going with Dragon Disciple, but, uh, it's kinda bad. I mean, it's built on a spontaneous caster platform, and grants you more spells, but it doesn't actually progress spellcasting? And, since you're starting with spont-caster, they don't have the hit points to actually use those melee buffs effectively.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-20, 12:47 PM
"ok, so if i want to make a potion, instead of finding herbs or grinding up dragon claws or something... i cast a spell in a bottle? that is super boring."

One of my biggest complaints about brew potion

On another note Craft Alchemy, you need to be a caster to make any of the items in the PHB, however all the other alchemical items ive seen have dropped this requirement. Its something that has always driven me nuts, and as the AaEG says (and im paraphrasing here) Alchemy is like mundane magic, Alchemy should do a lot of things that magic does, just not quite as well.

So why in the name of the endless Abyss do i need to be a caster to do this??

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 12:51 PM
One of my biggest complaints about brew potion

On another note Craft Alchemy, you need to be a caster to make any of the items in the PHB, however all the other alchemical items ive seen have dropped this requirement. Its something that has always driven me nuts, and as the AaEG says (and im paraphrasing here) Alchemy is like mundane magic, Alchemy should do a lot of things that magic does, just not quite as well.

So why in the name of the endless Abyss do i need to be a caster to do this??

Because it's still magic, it's just mundane magic.

Kazudo
2014-06-20, 12:55 PM
Ok, so I don't get this Dwarven Defender thing. So it's pretty literally like...what that one guy wrote what did he call it. Tomb of War or something. I dunno. Except worse! You only get one stance and it makes you just STAND THERE. Plus, Dwarves only? What even IS a Dwarf? Oh wait. That's in another one of your posts.

...Basically a really small medium alcoholic who's good at heavy armor and underground stuff but has a terrible move speed? So bad.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-20, 12:55 PM
Because it's still magic, it's just mundane magic.

..........................................AAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH *flips table as spontaneously gains 10 levels of Frenzied Berserker* SHOW ME THE DEVS!!!

Kazyan
2014-06-20, 02:19 PM
Let me put on my Simon Cowell mask. Homebrew Design has been churning out some odd stuff lately.

Barbarian

MOAR NUMBERS does not usually make a good class, but you know what? I'll take it, because it works. Just delay the "pounce" thing to 6th level and make the other ACFs worth taking so it's not a one-level dip. People who take dips in homebrew are complete tossers, but you still shouldn't encourage them.

Props for making the fluff match the crunch really well, though. You made a class whose job is relevant and does it well.

Power Attack

How about just making that a class feature at level 4 or something? It's a feat tax otherwise. Name one Barbarian build that wouldn't take this.

Frenzied Bezerker

Your Barbarian is already good at hitting things; this just makes it overpowering. Feat taxes do not excuse being overpowered. Also, you added a feature that makes this class unkillable while at the same time giving it the change to start attacking party members. Separate, those are bad. Together, it's a recipe for disaster.

Duskblade

Congratulations on obsoleting every other gish. Full Attack Arcane Channeling makes every other build irrelevant unless they also want to be utility casters. Otherwise, it's good.

Warblade

That is an awful name. More seriously, it basically fixes melee, although I think you should do more with the discipline skills--and for the one discipline it's really relevant for, it makes Diamond Mind so attractive that no one would ever not spec into it all the way to Time Stands Still. Overall, though, good job. Just stop incessantly tweaking it to make it Tier 3. It's okay, man. Tier 4 is not the end of the world [link to Barbarian goes here].

Now to peek at some "jack of all trades" classes...

Ranger, with all of the ACFs

Some of these options are clearly optimal and others are garbage, so it's less of a "you can build anything" class, and more of a "take these options and do EVERTYTHING" class. I would nerf the Wildshape thing and the wizard casting synergies (Sword of the Arcane Order + Mystic Ranger = get rid of one of them, at least).

Bard

It's basically a minicaster and the skills are good, but it doesn't have the oomph to do melee. d6 hit dice, weak proficiencies, and 3/4 Hit Dice? The Fey Bard ACF is clearly superior; the animal companion is better than you'll ever be at killing things (it's not MAD, either). Admit that, and it's fine not perfect, but fine, and better than most homebrew.

Factotum

This is better than everyone at their jobs except for the casters. Lazy design (Int to everything! All skills! Using other people's class features because you can't think of anything clever! None of this is exploitable, right?) and poor editing. Institutionalized action economy destruction. Blatant 4e import due to the per-encounter inspiration thing, and is even worse with the action economy breaking--win initiative, drop a bunch of standard actions, do this every fight, ???, DM ragequits.

Continuing on to some fixes!

Favored Soul

This cleric fix completely misses the point. Domains and Turn Undead are not what makes the cleric ridiculous; it's the spells, and this class still gets 9ths. I like the fluff, but the mechanics need work.

Oh, the guy who kept bragging that he broke Turn Undead was because he combined a bunch of other questionably-balanced homebrew in one of the PbP forum's Epic Gestalt and then killed everybody with a ton of always-on buffs. It had little to do with Turn Undead; I think it involved spending TU with a homebrew feat to mitigate the adjustment for a homebrew metamagic that made spells last all day, applied it to a bunch of homebrew spells, and got all the necessary TU with an innocuous homebrew item. That would never, ever fly in a PO game.

Healer

Excellent fix; now people will actually heal as a "cleric". The unicorn even makes you relevant in combat by the time Healing Hands starts to be obsolete, and the New X abilities are great to keep in reserve. I can see this fix becoming really popular.

Wu Jen

I don't think you actually fixed the mechanics--you still have a bunch of broken spells on the spell list--but what you did do is more important: you gave it style. And while mechanics can be tweaked, style cannot. Mad props.

Which of these are accurate commentary on the classes is left as an exercise to the reader.

T.G. Oskar
2014-06-20, 06:02 PM
"Hmm...this seems a bit pretentious. 'Third Edition', and you're already going for a second helping? Well, at least you considered what other people were saying about the Haste spell being too powerful (though, compared to the clustersuck that's Haste as-is...nah, I'm still sure none of them are any better...) Let's see how the changes fare..."

Races

"I've been always supportive about races being capable of choosing any class from the get-go and free multiclassing for everybody (I have my qualms about multiclassing, which I'll say later), but here's the deal: you're still guiding people to the usual choices, and then some.

First, the Dwarf. This is something I'm seeing too common: instead of a +1 to a stat and a -1 to another, I see a lot of +2/-2. I presume that is to fit your new standard (what's wrong with Exceptional Strength? The way it is now, it's cheap to get to Strength 20 and Constitution 20! Though, considering there's no more Regeneration and all that jazz...), but that's something to discuss. Anyways: with the bonus to Constitution and the penalty to Charisma, you seem to like Dwarves getting into warrior races, right? Strangely enough, dwarves are good...what's the term again...Barbarians? (Caesar's Ghost, what a way to reference Unearthed Arcana from AD&D 1st! Shame not to see Cavalier and Thief-Acrobat, though...) Sad to see the poison and spell saving throws nerfed to a simple +2: I mean, being a race with bonuses to Constitution, and after lifting the penalties to HP that other classes had, Constitution is a must: you could have retained the earlier bonus, which was pretty fine. I know one or two of the guys told you to quit that ridiculous -4 penalty to Use Magic Device proficiency (argh! It's skill now; not proficiency!), but their recommendation to nerf the poison/spell save bonus was too weak. Sorta ambivalent about Stonecunning, since it's not as clear (even though it's meant to represent their original bonus to detect things underground). I feel it's a nerf. It's...decent, but it could have been better.

Going with Elf...it seems you keep the ability scores, but the rest is a bunch of hogwash. Why do Elves lose infravision? Neither Dwarves nor Gnomes lose it, so why do they have to have a pitiful 'low-light vision'? Yeah, I know: the Complete Guide to Elves left you a bad taste in your mouth, but all I see is horrible nerfs. Why not add the +1 bonus to attack rolls with swords and bows? Sure, the free proficiency with them is kinda cool, but if they desperately want it, they could have gotten 1 level in a class that grants proficiency with all of them. Honestly, a +1 bonus is not that big. I'm also kinda confused about the resistances: they get immunity (100%) to sleep effects, but not to charm effects which get a +2 to saving throws. Get your work straight: either +2 to sleep and charm, or full immunity, but not both. Considering how Sleep works now, the immunity is kinda weak unless you want to always play low levels. Sure, the Fighter in the current edition usually drops out of adventuring after 9th level or so, but... Also: what happened to the bonus to surprise? Sure, no metal armor can be a problem, but chances are you're not gonna wear metal armor (isn't there ways to get good non-metallic armor anyways, even if it's expensive as all heck?). That would have been cool on a Ranger. Since the Elf seems to be a good Ranger, anyways (kinda miss the time when Elves could cast spells and Rangers could use Magic-User spells...), if that's what the "favored class" seems to mean. Also, a bit mystified about the Search prof...erm, 'skill' bonus. It could have been as easy as a +2 bonus if passing within 10 ft. and a +4 or a +5 if actually searching for the...ph, so THERE's the 'surprise bonus'! BTW: not very clever. The original bonus was more of an initiative bonus to ambushes, not a silly +2 to the perception proficiencies... Anyways, returning to the Search skill bonuses: +2 if within 10 ft. and the ability to Search automatically, +4 if actively searching. That was simple enough.

Gnomes...wow, they're barely recognizable. I would have expected a +2 to Intelligence and a -2 to Wisdom, but instead they get +2 to Constitution and -2 to Strength. They get no poison/spell resistance (like dwarves), but they don't get the penalty to Use Magic Device either. The bonus to Illusions are awesome, but they don't seem to have Illusionist as a favored class anymore. About the only thing they keep is "darkvision" (i.e. infravision; keep to the classics, people!) and the bonus against kobolds and goblins. Too bad that learning 'burrowing mammal' is now limited to getting high Charisma (a bad move, guys!), because that was pretty cool. So: while they're no more "caster-Dwarf", they're now...direction-less. With Illusionist as favored class and a bonus to Intelligence, they would have made awesome Mages. Now, they make...'Bards', when they don't get the stats right! You definitely need to fix the Gnome a bit more: I remember playing a pretty cool Gnome Illusionist in my days...

Half-Elves...I feel you should reconsider what you did to Elves and buff them a bit more, because they're almost indistinguishable from their half-brethren. The +2 to sleep and charm effects fits better on Half-Elves (instead of full-on immunity), the 'low-light vision' ability works well on them...they even get a small bonus to Search, which is exactly half the one from Elves. Seriously, I feel the 'Elf' more like the Half-Elf. Also, they get nothing nice from Humans, other than their favored class is "any". They get no bonus nor penalty (they could have gained the +1 to Dexterity, IMO, and maybe the -1 to Constitution to represent the elven ancestry). I could have also added the skill point bonus from Humans, at least.

I understand that you want to change the old idea of Hobbits into these radical new 'halflings', but some things make little sense. Sure, they're not 'Hobbit-Dwarves' anymore (I still say Cook doesn't have much imagination, but you can't really blame him...BTW, isn't one of you guys also a 'Cook'?). So: no more chances of infravision, no more spell save bonuses, no more elf-like surprise bonuses... Well, they do, but this is a matter of consistency: you consider an ambush the realm of perception proficiencies or stealth proficiencies? Because 'halflings' get bonuses to Listen and Move Silently, which is sorta the opposite of what Elves get. Honestly: you should have turned the improved surprise into a class feature. The thrown weapon skill remains, the bonus to saving throws is...bland, and the save bonus vs. fear...reminds me of Kenders. So, you put Hobbits and Kender into a blender (rhyme not intended) and got a Halfling in exchange? Another race with an odd focus, though it makes them better Thieves...erm, I mean, Rogues. I mean, that's their favored class, right? I can't wait to see my players playing Halflings as Kenders...

And finally, humans. Their only benefit (free choice of classes) is gone, but I feel you overshot their benefits a bit too much. I'm not sure how good "feats" are, but that additional skill bonus (aka non-weapon proficiency) is a tad too good for my tastes. It's strange that Half-Elves don't get this. Their favored class is 'any' so I presume your intention is to keep their advantage this way?

I appreciate your intention to renew the races a bit, but it feels like Humans got real good while others got weird changes (Gnomes, Halflings), even though they really needed them. Gnomes and Halflings really felt like repackaged Dwarves and Elves anyways, but the change doesn't do them justice. I still suggest Gnomes should play to their elemental heritage, and maybe tweak Halflings a bit more (and remove all traces of Kender!)"

Half-Orc

"Let's go for the new race. Just by looking, it seems you overstated your penalties too much: looking at your 'AD&D 3.5e Monster Manual' thread and the Orc, they get half the Strength but a huge amount of penalties. Why not keep it to +2 Strength, -2 to any one mental stat? Also, I see nothing that reflects their human heritage? Half-Elves already get the skill bonuses, so why not get a washed-down version of the bonus feat? Also, why not also make Half-Orcs get any class as a favored class? I really don't get it... Besides, on the MM thread, you mention that Orcs can be played, so why have a race like this anyways, which seems like a poor-man's orc?"

Classes

"Finally, what I consider my specialty!

Let's go with the big four. I honestly expected to see 'Warrior' instead of Fighter and 'Priest' instead of Cleric, considering there's no more 'Mage' or 'Thief'. You used the group names for two classes and the original names for the others.

Before I start: why lose the prime requisite benefit? I found that to be pretty cool: after all, considering you're using Method V for ability score generation, and everyone gets the same XP progression now (can't say much about that, though), it would have been a nice thing to keep. Makes it easier to explain to my players why Strength is so important to Fighters and Wisdom is so important to Clerics and so forth.

Going with the Fighter...I'm deeply disappointed on your choice of keeping the limitation of your attacks during the round to the "full attack" action mechanic. I know you do it to limit the extra attacks you get, but have you seen the penalties? That alone is enough! I still say that you should keep the attacks as part of the attack action, and give all attacks the highest attack bonus as the full attack mechanic; I mean, everybody else in the thread insists on that! Still: I feel the Fighter got nerfed real bad. I mean, the BAB and saves bonuses fit the bill for the old cluster of saving throws (kudos on keeping Fort/Ref/Will rather than 'save vs. death, save vs. wands, save vs. w/e' thing; even I found that confusing...), but all they get is...feats. You also turned most of the stuff the Warrior class could do into feats, like wielding a weapon in each hand. The Fighter still keeps Weapon Specialization (yay!), but I already ruled that all members of the Warrior group could get Weapon Specialization in a limited way (Rangers could get it with bows or one melee weapon they could wield in each hand, Paladins could get specialization in longswords, warhammers and lances, etc.) so a return to the old ways is kinda wrong. I saw the Feats at a glance, and I'm disappointed that the Wizard specialization is better than these feats. You take 4 feats to get something decent, while the Wizard only needs to sacrifice two schools, while still getting access to the other 7 without penalties. Is that fair? Also, what's that about removing Fighters their free barony? My players are going haywire after hearing that! The Leadership feat is broken, BTW: now even a Wizard can get to be a noble and stuff. I'm definitely writing a way to get Leadership closer to its original incarnations. I'd say that the Weapon Focus line should be expanded a lot more, sorta like what Fighting Men got in Rules Cyclopedia; I adapted that to my game and it does wonders. Strange that you didn't do that?

The Cleric...hard to say if it's good or not. It's certainly different: the Spheres are now 'Domains', they keep proficiencies on most blunt weapons but can now wield sickles and daggers (good news for the guy that loves playing a cleric of Mask and buggers me to let him use a dagger at least). They keep their old proficiencies with armor and shields, which is a bit ambivalent to me (I often rule that proficiencies with armor and shields are limited to their deity, but the default is up to breastplates and the like...I think you consider them 'medium armor' proficiencies? Also, light shields). Turn Undead seems weaker IMO, particularly that bit about limiting the HD of undead affected. However...the change to Clerics getting 9th level spells and a list of their own... I spoke it to the guy who wants to play the cleric of Mask, and he's telling me it's kinda broken. His words, not mine: 'I feel like a Wizard now, except with better armor and shields and weapons and BAB and...you know what? I feel better than the Wizard!' I kinda feel sad for the poor Wizard...

The Rogue...alright, so the Rogue is the Thief now, and some of their unique features are now skills/non-weapon proficiencies. Pick Pockets is now Sleight of Hands, Open Locks is now Open Locks, Find and Remove Traps is a combination of Search, Disable Device and the Trapfinding class feature, Move Silently is...Move Silently (lack of imagination, perhaps?_, Hide in Shadows is now...Hide (seriously?)...there's no more Read Lips skill (good riddance!). The Thief player feels cheated a lot, since he lost the things that made him unique, and he says that he doesn't get enough skill points to do what he wants and take advantage of the new and unique skill system you guys promised, because he has to spend all 8 skill points from the class to get what he could originally do (at least he's thankful that Read Lips was absorbed into Spot; that means he doesn't need an excessively high Intelligence score). He still insists that Hide and Move Silently into Stealth, and Listen and Spot into Perception (and also Search), so he could invest in more skills. I tell him that doing that will make the Rogue a bit weaker, but he insists that he doesn't. I tell him 'Jay, think about it', and he goes and says 'DM, I'm thinking about it, and it won't hurt that much, because the only other guy who gets as much skills as I do is the Bard; it's not like I'm challenged...' Anyways, he says Sneak Attack is both better and worse: better because it can affect most creatures, worse because he insist that, because it hits weak spots in the enemy's defense, it should affect more creatures. He's fine at keeping plants and oozes immune, but he says keeping undead and constructs immune is cheap. Also, he says that the damage scales somewhat fairly. I say that backstab is better, and I was using a hybrid of backstab and sneak attack anyways, so it's no biggie. He's pissed that Thieves' Cant is no longer a language (and further pissed that Innuendo was wrapped into Bluff, though he appreciates that there's more use to Bluff now), and that now everyone can use scrolls freely via Use Magic Device (again, his words, not mine: 'Use Magic Device is the most broken thing ever, specifically if you use partially charged wands'). He's also not impressed that he has to take Leadership to create his thieves' guild. Happy for the higher HP, though he says that Thieves should get a d8 instead of Clerics. I mean, Rogues instead of Thieves. That's one thing Jay likes a lot. At least I won't see another repeat of his 'Pathfinder Society' front for the Thieves' Guild he usually does...

Finally, the Wizard. Let's get this straight: who's supposed to be the Mage-equivalent, the Wizard or the Sorcerer? They're a bit too similar. I believe it must be the Wizard because it keeps the old form of preparing spells, plus the specializations bit. Anyways. Way. Too. Powerful. My Mage player is delighted: he doesn't need to spend days preparing his spells, and there's no more drawbacks to them. He really admires what you did to the Wizards, but I don't. I mean: Haste doesn't age people anymore? Still thankful you reconsidered and nerfed Haste (I was all 'Ha, Sean, now you can't cast two spells in a row!' and he goes 'I still can with Quicken Spell'). Speaking of 'Quicken Spell'...still iffy about metamagics. I mean, sure, it's a creative idea, but Warrior classes get nothing of the sort. Think about this: the Weapon Focus chain can't compare to the School Specialization class feature at all, and now you get something that boosts your spells even further? I'm already seeing trouble with Color Spray, Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud and Web. Jay, the Thief player, told me that I should allow people trapped by Web to use their BAB alongside their Strength to escape, which is cool, but I still say they're too powerful. I usually take Sean's sheet as a measure of what's too powerful, so here's the list: Color Spray, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Sleep, Blur, Glitterdust, Alter Self, Mirror Image, Mnor Image (actually, all the Image spells; there was a debate about whether constructs should see the illusions or not), Knock, Suggestion, Blink, Fly, Web, Haste (even if nerfed...), Stinking Cloud, Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Scrying (that and Detect Magic have ruined my games forever!), Shadow Conjuration, Enervation (particularly at latter levels with Empower Spell; at least he doesn't cast a doubled Empowered Enervation via Haste anymore...), Polymorph, Dimension Door, Resilient Sphere, Break Enchantment, Cloudkill, the Planar Binding line, Teleport, Wall of Force (Sean says it's the only worthwhile Evocation spell...), Overland Flight, the Shadow line of spells (which my Wizard player says its the 'second best Evocation spell', even if it doesn't), Greater Dispel Magic, Wall of Iron (note: you should make something so it doesn't get used with Fabricate; that combo can ruin economies), Mass Suggestion, Contingency ('Best. Evocation. Spell. Ever' by the Wiz), Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Spell Turning, Greater Teleport, Plane Shift, Forcecage, Mass Invisibility, Ethereal Jaunt, Reverse Gravity, Mind Blank (oh yeah: also pissed with the immunity to mind-affecting abilities from Protection from [alignment], though I have a soft spot because it's really awesome when a Pally uses it; Jay told me to limit it to creatures of that alignment, which I think it's fair), Clone, Polymorph any Object (because of shenanigans), Gate, Shades, Power Word: Kill, Wail of the Banshee, all 9th level Transmutation spells, and of course, Wish. Might want to reconsider most of those. I know most of the people here are saying that Wizards with dead levels are an aberration (and so do Sorcs)...I dare them to play with my Wizard player. He claims he's now a 'god' with all those spells, letting his minions (aka the rest of the party) do the 'dirty job' of killing monsters. At least his insta-kill Enervation trick is gone. Whatever you do, don't EVER try to create some sort of repeating spell effect or anything like that.

As for the rest..."

Barbarian

"Brings a tear to my eye to see a reference to Unearthed Arcana. That said, the Barbarian isn't anywhere near what it was before. It suffers from the same as the Rogue/Thief, losing some of its cool stuff (healing wounds, surviving in the wild) to skills that now everybody can use. They get no horde (again, like the Fighter), and they depend on magic items a lot more. I'd suggest some sort of 'spell resistance' like what the Drow have, to recall their old-school super-resistance to magic effects. BTW: has anyone noticed that Dwarf and Barbarian seem to mesh real well? Rage depends on Constitution, Dwarves get spell save bonuses that would benefit the feel of a Barbarian, they use axes as their traditional weapons (well, also mauls and greatswords, but I always imagine them using axes). Speaking of Rage: pretty cool ability. About one of the few good things you made. If only they could move and make all attacks...people would cry foul, but after playing with Sean, I'm honestly looking for that."

Bard

"Fair improvement. Happy that a Bard has better music, and more varied songs as well. I say, good riddance to that thing about getting Bardic Music at 1st level and then dropping off the class because you could get Perform in other ways. I didn't see how multiclassing worked, so I treated it as dual-classing, and Jay tried to dual-class Rogue and Bard: when he realized how the class worked, by the time he got to 4th level, he dropped Bard and went full Rogue, got Perform, and by the time he was a 15th level Rogue, he had pretty much all Bard songs. Good to see you followed that idea. Still: between that and the boost to Inspire Courage, they're great, but they could get something else. Sean says that Bards are worthless, even if he says they got some fairly good spells."

Druid

"I see you're fans of the Druid. Man, this class is broken! And not in a bad way; in the worst way! They're too powerful. The shapechanging ability is now worse because Druids can transform into Dire Bears and Dire Lions now, and STILL get to cast spells via Natural Spell. They also stole the Ranger's animal companions (seriously, WTF!?), and the Animal Companion is even BETTER (yes, I know you heard that the ACs died easily while the Pally's mount didn't, but the AC is now BETTER than the Pally's mount!). Their spells are also pretty impressive. They can fight better than a Fighter, and that's saying a LOT! Honestly, this class deserves a nerf, STAT!"

Monk

"Boy, have I got a surprise for you... Since I had forbidden Sean to play Wizards for a while, he tried to play a Monk. I already had my reserves, seeing that it had a lot of stuff, and when he got his greedy hands on the PHB to see how to play a Monk, my alarms went off instantly. His character died in the third session, and then he says to me 'the Monk sucks'. I dunno if that's an achievement or something to worry about, but when he explained that to me...what he said convinced me. Sure, they hit like a truck, but their penalties to attack rolls are hilariously bad (you hit at a -2 penalty), you depend on four stats (Strength, Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom), their AC is nowhere near as high as a full-plate wearing Fighter (with or without a shield), their damage is pitiful compared to a Barbarian or Fighter, their class features suck (honestly: a ring of feather falling was the first thing Sean bought when he had the money, and he then said 'can I replace Slow Fall for something that doesn't suck?', and the feared Quivering Palm is a joke. Even Stunning Fist is a bit of a joke. If the full attack mechanic hurt Fighters and other Warrior group classes, it hurts Monks a lot; it seems like, somewhere in your development sessions, you figured a Monk had to be mobile, and then you scrapped the mechanic, but kept Flurry of Blows intact. Spring Attack is not that good, even with the high damage of a monk's fist. Which also reminds me: why change the way Ki Strike worked? They can't get their fists enchanted unless they wear an Amulet of Mighty Fists (which is horribly expensive), and their special Monk weapons are a joke. If the Bard needs help, the Monk needs twice the help. When you hear your powergamer say 'I'd rather play a Bard than a Monk', I'd listen to it. It feels like a trap."

Paladin

"*sigh* I honestly wanted to play a Paladin once, but I feel disappointed.

I play with another group of guys, and they agreed to use your rules. I happily made a Paladin (a human, since the two races that fit the Warrior bit have penalties to Charisma and the DM didn't allow me to play an Aasimar (really, what kind of name is that? Sounds like a bad name, honestly). I recalled what Sean told me about the Monk, and I was surprised to see that the Paladin ALSO needs four good stats: Strength, Constitution, Wisdom and Charisma (a reason why I wanted to play an Aasimar at first instance). I dismissed it because Paladins were supposed to require a lot of stats to play, specifically since they were really powerful.

The first thing I was disappointed at was the loss of the Aura of Protection. Aura of Courage is no exchange: that -1 to attack rolls against evil creatures and summoned monsters was a lifesaver. Being immune to fear is cool, I must admit, but nowhere near as good as making your enemies hit less. The second thing I was disappointed was that the Holy Sword no longer granted immunity to spells (though I never got one, to be honest; I just saw what the Holy Avenger granted and was disappointed that it was replaced by spell resistance, which could be beaten). Smite Evil is nowhere near what Rage is, and the 1/day use was a joke. Oh, and the free Remove Disease effect? ALSO a joke. A bad joke, that is, and a stale one at that (Remove Disease is a spell now; MAKE IT A SPELL FOR PALADINS!!!). So does the Turning ability of a Paladin (the original was much better)

Some stuff was spot-on, though: the spells are exactly as before (though I would have improved the caster level, given that they can cast 5 levels earlier), the mount is much better now, and Divine Grace is way too powerful at 1st level. I mean, with a decent Charisma of 14, I get the same bonus as the current Paladin, but if I get two more points of Charisma, I get a higher bonus. It makes the immunity to all kinds of diseases (including mummy rot and lycanthropy, which is awesome) a bit redundant, since you're mostly preventing the event of a natural 1 roll. Lay on Hands is slightly better now (and Wholeness of Body from the Monk is the old Lay on Hands), but the HP inflation makes it worse than before. Think about it: a 9th level Paladin could heal 18 HP, while the typical Fighter has an average of 9d10 (about 49 hp) plus its Constitution modifier (let's say 15, so it gets a +1 bonus; that'd mean +9 HP, so a grand total of 58 hp), so it's about a third of its HP. This version heals about the same, though higher Charisma means higher healing, but not for much (about 27 hp or so with Charisma 16?). Meanwhile, a Fighter with the same Constitution bonus as before (15) now has much more HP, and with full HP at start, that means the HP got to 72, so the Paladin heals 9 more HP but the Fighter got about twice that amount. That's being generous, since Fighters didn't get as much HP after 9th level...but here, they get another HD at 10th level, and they don't have to reroll HP, so the HP is MUCH higher now. I mean: think about a 20th level Fighter's hit points? That's easily over 100 HP WITHOUT adding Constitution bonuses, when a Paladin with 20 levels and a Charisma of 20 will get to heal only 100 hp. See how it's better and at the same time worse? I think even Wizards and Clerics, with their far higher HP, have the same predicament.

So, how does this version of the Paladin compare to before? Well, it's not much of an improvement, IMO. Turning is worse (Cleric -3 instead of Cleric -2, just like in the current edition), there's more uses of Smite Evil but it's just the same as before and no improvement, the caster level for spells is still a joke, and the class is STILL too front-loaded. I would have half-expected...I dunno, returning the Aura of Protection to level 7 or something. At least you added Sense Motive, but the skill list is still too narrow."

Ranger

"First and foremost: why nerf the Ranger's HD to d8? They've been traditionally a d10; even your first revision had them as a d10. They're less efficient at front-lines than before! That said: it's good to see the animal empathy fixed as a class feature (rather than the odd skill, which while being exclusive to them was a waste of skill points most of the time), and a return of their animal companion. The combat styles are cool, but limited to being Drizzt-clone or Legolas/Aragorn isn't funny. There's no such thing to make the Ranger a Hunter of sorts (no trap disabling, no trapfinding, not even proficiency with nets and bolas!). They've definitely improved, and I'm tempted to play a Ranger one of these days, but they could be a tad better IMO."

Sorcerer

"Finally, the last class. I thought at first this was your version of the Illusionist, but I see that was relegated to school specialization and Wizards (sad to see Illusionists go, though), which I should have half-expected anyways. The change to fixed spells is sorta unique, and they play good faces because of their choice of skills, but they need a few more skill points. Honestly, though, I would have expected the Sorcerer to learn spells faster. I have nothing much to say, other than my Wizard player tested it and said it was 'Wizard-lite', but a rewarding one if you had enough mastery of the system. However, he says the Wizard can beat it any time of the day."

Multiclassing

"Finally, I get to your multiclassing rules. Generally, I allowed everyone to multiclass into another class of their predilection, but they had to justify it, and some mixes were forbidden (Fighter/Cleric and Paladin/Cleric were forbidden because they made better Paladins than the Paladin, and so did Ranger/Druid). Your multiclass rules...are horrible. First, they're essentially dual classing but refluffed: you can drop out at any time and you keep the powers, but they're weaker. It seems like you tried to keep the multiclass favor by imposing the XP penalties, but that didn't really work. I would have gone with the classic multiclass rules anyways: something like 'take 2 classes, get the best of them (HD, BAB, saves, etc.), but you level up slower (-20% to your gained XP), and only certain combinations work'. Dual-classing would eventually be some sort of multiclassing: you keep what you learned, but you must take levels in the other class (at a reduced speed; probably 20% of the XP required to gain a new level), and once the two levels were equal, you shift to multiclass rules. The favored class rules make no sense whatsoever, and I would remove them; though, I've been thinking of reducing the penalty to XP if you do old-school multiclassing with a favored class, though some favored classes would change (I.E. Dwarves get Fighters and Clerics as favored classes, and they get a 10% XP penalty if one of their classes is either Fighter or Cleric). I'd still keep some combinations forbidden (Fighter/Cleric, Paladin/Cleric, Ranger/Druid, Rogue/Illusionist Wizard) since they'd be better than their counterparts. Other combinations would be somewhat limited (Paladin/Ranger get a different spell list and must choose between their mount or their animal companion). Still undecided about certain mixes (Cleric/Wizard and Druid/Wizard), since they seem to be too powerful.

Anyways, that's as much as I'll say for now; it's getting to be real big. Maybe later I'll check on the feats and on your thread regarding Prestige Classes (are they the replacement to kits? Or are they like what the Paladin was to the Cavalier and the Thief-Acrobat was to the Thief, and what the Bard was originally to the Fighter/Druid/Thief mix?)."

Wow, trying to analyze 3.5 from the eyes of a 2e player is exhausting! Turning off signature to retain the illusion of old-school.

slaydemons
2014-06-20, 06:19 PM
Ur-priest? are you kidding me? this looks like the best divine caster in your game in ten levels I get the best cleric spells,I bet I can find a way to get this to combo with your wizard class, oh god dang it mystic theurge looks perfect for this I just broke your game everyone can go home.

Coidzor
2014-06-20, 09:36 PM
Eh, there's already plenty of fixes (and "fixes") on the homebrew board. What else would this inspire?

Well, I was recently reminded that my conception of Paladins would would better suited with some form of template, savage progression, or Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm)-style Class when I sat down to think about what I wanted it to do and how I wanted it to achieve it. So stopping and thinking about the base of 3.5 from a different direction may start someone's brain juices a-flowing in some way or another. Though I'd agree that most people who want to tweak the base have probably already started toying with the idea by now if nothing further than that.