PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys had a Half-orc half-elf talk?

Marcotic
2007-02-23, 11:32 PM
I wanna know if for the most part you think the HE and the HO need a bit more stuff to em'

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-23, 11:43 PM
I completely agree that half-elves could use a boost, since I've never been so much as tempted to play one, but half-orcs seem good as they are. Honestly, I'd knock off the Charisma penalty, but they seem more than balanced otherwise.

Half-elves, honestly, suck. The only reason to play one as opposed to an elf or a human is favored class and life span, respectively. Since I generally count whichever class a character's first level was as favored class and life span hardly ever comes into play in campaigns, there's really nothing appealing to me about half-elves. Maybe a few more opinions would enlighten me to one, though.

Demented
2007-02-24, 12:21 AM
Answering the thread topic: Yes.

Was anything ever agreed upon: No.

Naturally. =P

Marcotic
2007-02-24, 12:31 AM
aint that how it goes though? no one can ever agree.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-24, 12:33 AM
I for one, think there should be a half-orc/half-elf race. I think someone came up with a rather good one, actually.

Marcotic
2007-02-24, 12:39 AM
yeah, I made one once upon retrospect, maybe a bit broken, but not TOO bad

+2 str +2 dex -2 con -2 int -2 cha

dark vision, dazzled for 2 rounds upon entering sunlight
+2 spot& search whilst using dark vision
+2 listen

Didn't get around to giving him a favored class, but in my champain humans are the result of orc elv crossbreeding (and that this race only lasts about 2 or three generations before there human) so i might of gone with favored class any

EaterofElves
2007-02-25, 02:00 AM
Well just out of boredom...

Kru'tugh (Twisted One) Elf/Orc Hybrid

Originally created by Drow nobles as a cruel joke Kru'tughs are Half-Elf and Half-Orc. That the two races cannot naturally conceive was only a minor problem easily solved with minor fertility magic. This discovery soon lead to a Drow-Orc Hybrid commonly called a Shaturag. Kru'tughs remain fairly rare creatures but they do escape their Drow captors from time to time.
Kru'tugh can breed with Shaturags, and Half-orc-Half-humans with the child being the race of the Male Parent

Kru'tugh

+2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Darkvision 60ft
Immune to Sleep Spells. +1 to Saving Rolls against Enchantment Spell And Effects
+1 To Spot, Listen, and Search Checks
Mixed Blood: Treat as both Elf and Orc for magical effects. Treat as Orc for Rangers favored Class Ability
Diplomacy Penalty: -2 to Diplomacy checks. Does not apply to other half-orcs or half-ogres (DM's judgement) -4 penalty when dealing with fullblooded elves
Inner Rage: Can rage once per day as 1st Level Barbarian. -1 Penalty to resist confusion spells or effects

Favored Class: Male Barbarian, Female Ranger

Krellen
2007-02-25, 02:03 AM
I for one, think there should be a half-orc/half-elf race. I think someone came up with a rather good one, actually.
I figured, if humans produced half-elves and half-orcs, obviously the three were the same species. Thus, in my campaign world, the child of an orc and an elf is a human.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 10:42 AM
I figured, if humans produced half-elves and half-orcs, obviously the three were the same species. Thus, in my campaign world, the child of an orc and an elf is a human.

What about a half-orc and a half-elf breeding? Do they have a half-human?

Neek
2007-02-25, 12:00 PM
There's a 25% percent chance that the child is 100% human, apparently. Which'd be an awesome backstory for any human character.

Steward
2007-02-25, 12:05 PM
There's a 25% percent chance that the child is 100% human, apparently. Which'd be an awesome backstory for any human character.

"Dear Diary,

I think Mom and Dad are disappointed in me. They took me into a cave this morning and locked me in to see if I had Darkvision or Low-Light Vision. I tried my best but I couldn't see anything. I ended up being bit by a snake and failed my saving throw against the sleep poison. They came and got me eventually but I could tell that they were upset. It sucks having an elf and an orc for parents. What am I going to do?"

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 12:33 PM
*sniff* Poor human, no wonder he/she became an adventurer, to get away from his disappointed parents and try to make them proud.

Of course, the idea that an Elf and an Orc, even a half-elf and half-orc, interbreeding... I can't imagine them getting along too well. Maybe it'd make a good sitcom.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 05:42 PM
Funny that

averagejoe
2007-02-25, 05:51 PM
I completely agree that half-elves could use a boost, since I've never been so much as tempted to play one, but half-orcs seem good as they are. Honestly, I'd knock off the Charisma penalty, but they seem more than balanced otherwise.

Right, because then when I'm bashing something with a really big axe I can have an 8 instead of a 6 charisma. I've honestly never minded half orcs. Maybe they could do with one or two more things, but that strength bonus is just so sweet. I dunno, maybe give them scent or something. Whatever you give them, be it bonus to intimidate (which never made much sense to me) or giving him +2 to another ability, I'll always just see my Horc as a walking +2 strength.

Orzel
2007-02-25, 06:28 PM
I asked a DM to give a half elf a free Skill Focus feat to compensate for hthe race's suckiness. He said "yes".

I choose Skill Focus Diplomacy for my bard with Negoitator and Cha 18. He said "no".

Phoenix Talion
2007-02-25, 07:03 PM
I know I'm a minority, but I don't think half-elves are broken.

As for half-orcs, in my game I altered them so a player chose between Cha and Int for the penalty, and they got a bonus to Intimidate and Survival.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-25, 07:33 PM
I know I'm a minority, but I don't think half-elves are broken.I have never, EVER, heard anyone say that half-elves are broken. The only thing they have is a lifespan that's considerably longer than humans' and the choice of favored class.

Phoenix Talion
2007-02-25, 07:45 PM
Broken in the sense of underpowered, sorry. Mea culpa.

Orzel
2007-02-25, 07:59 PM
Half elve's aren't underpowered. They are pointless.

There is no decent mechanically reason to be one outside of an "elf only" things, a charm-resistant warrior, or Diplomacy/SM abuse,

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 10:54 PM
For diplomacy I always turn to the Giants mods